Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning of Turbo Install

TALON Supporting Member Flats Man's Avatar

Beginning of Turbo Install

I am setting up the fuel system right now and started by removing the front tank and sumping the rear. The rear tank will still have the stock pickup and intank 255L/hr pump with a 255 L/Hr frame rail for everyday driving. When I go racing, the front tank selector will turn on the Weldon 2025A and that will feed the turbo under boost. Here is the tank after it was sumped with two #12 AN ports.

Here is the view of the tank flipped upside down!

In order to make sure we can return enough fuel with the big pump, I installed a #8 Russell bulk head fitting for the return fuel.

Finally, the tank is installed with the return line capped for right now. Hopefully this is the last time to drop this tank!

The restraining straps are to prevent the Rancho Bars from hitting our lift. I am fabricating some straps for this next week!
    Last edited by Flats Man; 02-17-2006 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Horrible Spelling!

Dang... somehow I missed your post. So the turbo fuel system is redundant and you can still operate the rear tank on the stock system if you want? Have you solved the fuel bleedback problem with the front tank? After rereading, it sounds like you've decided to pull the front tank completely so now you have a 15 gallon tank fuel capacity, total (rear tank only).
    Last edited by Sixpipes; 02-18-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Talking

Yep, how many times am I going to have to stop for fuel on the way the Kansas City!? I am saving the front tank so that I can reinstall it later and operate the Race system off of a seperate switch for the pump!

Participating User Ivanhoe_Farms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flats Man
    Yep, how many times am I going to have to stop for fuel on the way the Kansas City!? I am saving the front tank so that I can reinstall it later and operate the Race system off of a seperate switch for the pump!
    So why aren't you using the Go_dzila approach and putting a separate racing fuel tank in the bed??

Talking

Well the fuel system in Go_dzila is like an aircraft fuel system and it is pretty tricky for an Old Fart like me. I thought I would build something that an Old Guy couldn't screw up so I planned just one tank. Most of my racing and driving with this truck will be local and I actually plan to trailer it out to Kansas.

Participating User Ivanhoe_Farms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flats Man
    Well the fuel system in Go_dzila is like an aircraft fuel system and it is pretty tricky for an Old Fart like me. I thought I would build something that an Old Guy couldn't screw up so I planned just one tank. Most of my racing and driving with this truck will be local and I actually plan to trailer it out to Kansas.
    So there will be at least three Gen 1s trailered to Kansas next year

Talking

Hey Rob, I promised you that I would get a dyno with the box and the GT 40 lower and I did that today! My initial timing was set at 5 degrees so we changed that to 15 degrees and we got 313 RWHP and 353 torque! Sixpipes guessed the rwhp almost right on the button! the fuel air was a flat line at 12 to 1 but that is not surprising since the meter was set up for a blower. When we increased the timing, it leaned it out 1 point. I am running about a 9 to 1 compression and I think it will take more timing but I am going to take the GT 40 off tomorrow and install the Edelbrock and elbow. I have a turbo cam that should be here any day now and that will be changed when I change out the intake. It is feeling and driving real good with the extra timing in there!

Hey Fred, any updates?

Talking

Well, I don't have too much progress to report! I am being held up by waiting on a set of Bassani Equal Length Headers! The Story follows: When I got back to Fl, I noticed that I was missing the right side header which happens to be a equal length Bassani. I am beginning to think that I never got it in my kit, that I picked up used, from a guy named Blitzkreig, in Tomball, Tex. Anyway, I called the guy up and he said that he had another set that he would sell me and some other misc stuff. We agreed on $250 and I sent an extra $50 for any shipping cost. That was on Jan 30. I can't get hold of the guy and he doesn't returm my phone calls or emails. I haven't seen the Headers either! In all my dealings on trucks, this might be the first time I have been burned on a deal! Anyway, got tired of waiting on the Bassani's so I bought a new set and they arrived Fed Ex yesterday. I now have all the stuff to start the install and will try to get started next week if possible. Thanks for your interest!

It is funny how things happen sometimes. After waiting for nearly two months for my headers, and after buying some new ones that just arrived a few days ago, I get an email last night that my headers will be shipped soon! Go figure! I already have the used set sold when they arrive so it will all work out, I guess.

Well at least your getting your money back. I'm very interested in your turbo buildup. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

Hey Fred, man I completely missed this thread somehow. Those baseline numbers are pretty good naturally aspirated numbers, especially considering that the motor is set-up for forced induction(low compression ratio, box style upper etc...). If that motor were set up with more compression, and a longer runner intake to promote better low and mid-range torque in Naturally Aspirated trim, it would have probably spit out another 20-30 HP and 30-40 LB/ft of TQ.

It does make me feel a little better about my numbers, as I was hoping for around 315-320 RWHP. As you know we played hell getting mine tuned, but we finally got her done. She wound up spitting out 307 RWHP and 357 RWTQ. I ran a string of 8.60's out at Kennedale a couple months back, which should place her pretty solidly in the mid 13's. Not too bad for the lil' 351.

Keep us posted on the build-up. I'll be monitoring this thread a little more closely in the future. That thing is gonna be absolutely SICK with the turbos when you get her all tuned up!

Talking

I got the intake and lower off yesterday! I found out why the old motor made such good HP too. The Lower had a lot of porting work on it and was actually much better than the extrude honed lower that I had bought for Tobbuns's truck. So, I guess the Sixer will be getting the honed lower in exchange for his stock unit. Tobbun will be getting the ported lower for his truck. I found that the Rockers were self clearancing on the Trick Flow valve covers so I will be taking care of that in the next few days. At least I know where the clicking is coming from! lol I will try to get some pictures in a few days!
    That is the latest from Florida!

Talking

Just an update on the turbo set up. I really want the most attention paid to Ronnie's truck because it is so special. I am installing the fuel system to feed the turbo right now. It is almost complete as of today but I still have to build a bracket for the Weldon pump and then finish the hook up from the sumped tank to the first Weldon Filter and then the 2035A Weldon pump and the secondary filter and the 10 AN line up to the Nitrous Y and on to the motor! The Street fuel system will be an intank 255 goiung through the stock fuel filter to a frame rail 255 and on to the nitrous Y. There is an 1 inch fuel check valve in the race system and a 3/4 inch check valve in the street system, to keep the fuel pressure going in the right direction. I have installed a # 8 An return that handles the fuel for both systems. Right now, I am planning to drive this thing to Kansas City. Since I have changed from a T 68 turbo to a Pt 76 Gtsh, I have to build a new hot section for the turbo. That will be done at our Sister Shop! I should be able to meet you Guys at Lightning Fest 2006! I plan to leave Florida on Wednesday and arrive on Thursday! See you there!
    If I were Tobbun, I would be real worried about winning Wild Gen 1 this year with that new Green and Black truck in the running!

Last edited by Flats Man; 08-02-2006 at 07:02 PM.
    1998 Blown STX 4.6L
    Lots of stuff!
    2002 Lariat Screw
    Very Stock
    http://www.Go-Rila.com/kin/flatsman.htm

Talking

I hope to fire it up on Monday! The fuel system was completed tonight. I installed braided transmission lines and an oil cooler with braided lines. Hopefully the new hot section will be done by next weekend.

I got the bumper and Air Dam installed but the innercooler was so big that I had to trim about 1 inch off the back of the air vents to make it fit properly.

I installed the Diesel bumper vent to get air to the innercooler.
    Last edited by Flats Man; 08-29-2006 at 09:19 PM.

Thread Information