Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fall Classic Fallout

Fall Classic Fallout

Even though we had a disappointing turnout yesterday, I still enjoyed the day. We only had six TALON members participate in the race program although we did have another 4 or 5 members show up for test and tune. Thanks to Frank & Joe for coming down from Arkansas and Brooks for coming in from Louisiana.

We have a very diverse group of folks and that's what makes our club a little different that other groups around the country. It is also what makes events like this risky to promote. After seeing 16 club members attend Lightning Fest and the cost involved with the trip, I didn't think it would be too difficult to get a group that size for our own event in Hallsville. As many of you know, I recently changed companies and that certainly limited my ability to devote the kind of attention that I should have to this event.

I want to start a discussion to maybe get some other ideas on a better way to get attendance up at this event. If that means moving the venue to Kennedale or Denton or Redline, then we should certainly consider doing that. I am still planning on the same event next year at Hallsville and I anticipate inviting the Harley Trucks to participate. Format will be Lightning bracket/Harley bracket and the two winners meet for Top Truck.

Right now I'm looking for ideas, so please don't hesitate to add your $.02. Afterall, TALON is your club.
    Last edited by Sixpipes; 12-07-2003 at 05:01 PM.

TALON Supporting Member 98Cobra's Avatar
    Well, I am sorry I didn't make it - I came out in the morning to a low tire because of a nail, and after getting it fixed there is no way I could make it out there in time.

Even if I had come, I am not sure I would have run in the race program though. After the truck's disappointing showing at Topeka, I am not entirely sure that something isn't wrong with it. At 75k miles, with all the towing and the occasional race, I don't know if it is a good idea to beat on it even further until I can afford to fix a major problem.

I think Hallsville is a fine place to have the event, but it may be worth researching the local tracks for this kind of event next year. It would raise participation in our club, and since we (TALON) are hosting it I think that's important.

Here's to next year...

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixpipes
    Even though we had a disappointing turnout yesterday, I still enjoyed the day. We only had six TALON members participate in the race program although we did have another 4 or 5 members show up for test and tune. Thanks to Frank & Joe for coming down from Arkansas and Brooks for coming in from Louisiana.

We have a very diverse group of folks and that's what makes our club a little different that other groups around the country. It is also what makes events like this risky to promote. After seeing 16 club members attend Lightning Fest and the cost involved with the trip, I didn't think it would be too difficult to get a group that size for our own event in Hallsville. As many of you know, I recently changed companies and that certainly limited my ability to devote the kind of attention that I should have to this event.

I want to start a discussion to maybe get some other ideas on a better way to get attendance up at this event. If that means moving the venue to Kennedale or Denton or Redline, then we should certainly consider doing that. I am still planning on the same event next year at Hallsville and I anticipate inviting the Harley Trucks to participate. Format will be Lightning bracket/Harley bracket and the two winners meet for Top Truck.

Right now I'm looking for ideas, so please don't hesitate to add your $.02. Afterall, TALON is your club.
    Robert came down from Arkansas too (but he didnt run in the bracket race, just during test n tune).

Well, Hallsville was a bit of a drive, but I dont know if I could add another 150 miles to my day yesterday. It was nice to race at a 1/4 mile track for a change too! And my understanding that the other tracks listed are all 1/8th mile. I could visit family while down there (they're in GP) but thats a long way to race 1/8th mile with you guys Just would depend on the scheduling. Make it at Hallsville and I'll continue to plan for it every year!

How about one when its warmer outside?

In the Garage Unplugged.. tliss's Avatar
    I wanted to be there as well, but some extenuating (sp?) circumstances prevented me from going (i.e. wife). Hallsville is a haul, but I certainly enjoy it out there. For me, as long as I can make it, I'll go whereever we have the event.

Tom

Slacker-Leave my user title alone Crawford's Avatar
    Its really too bad there isnt a closer 1/4 mile track. I think the distance is keeping a lot of people from going because it becomes a full day commitment when you have 4-5 hours of drive time alone. Also when you add it all up it can be a pretty expensive day going to Hallsville (two tanks of gas -60, race gas -25, entry fee -15, bracket fee -15, food -15, etc.) at about $130. Bottom line, racing isnt cheap. I really dont have a point here... maybe I am just ranting because I couldnt afford to go on Saturday... was too sick too.

One recommendation would be to make smaller trophies to keep the costs down in order to reduce the risk of a low turnout and not being able to break even on the trophies. I think some of the trophies were just too big anyway. Where do you put a monster like that?

I think it would be worth a shot at an 1/8 mile track like Denton. I had a pretty good time the day we all went out there despite the lack of VHT.

I just saw the Ducks just score 3 goals against the Stars in like under two minutes for a 3-0 score. I am pissed off now so I am done with this post.
    Crawford Cooper
    NLOC #1039
    --Team WWFB--
    Gone but not forgotten:
    Black 2001 Lightning #6142
    Born on date: 8/13/01

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank02L
    Robert came down from Arkansas too (but he didnt run in the bracket race, just during test n tune).

Well, Hallsville was a bit of a drive, but I dont know if I could add another 150 miles to my day yesterday. It was nice to race at a 1/4 mile track for a change too! And my understanding that the other tracks listed are all 1/8th mile. I could visit family while down there (they're in GP) but thats a long way to race 1/8th mile with you guys Just would depend on the scheduling. Make it at Hallsville and I'll continue to plan for it every year!
    Frank, thanks for coming down and kicking my ass in the finals. Nice to meet you.
    Mark

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark #2
    Frank, thanks for coming down and kicking my ass in the finals. Nice to meet you.
    Mark
    That video showed the real evidence... my brakes work!

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    OK - Somebady must have a picture of my truck at the line.....

POST THEM

Slacker-Leave my user title alone Crawford's Avatar
    fftopic !!!!!

Sorry I was not able to make it afterall Dennis... i really really REALLY wanted too... i had things at work popup, and then on top of that, I have the FLU BAD! i really hoped some other Halo people would make the trip, however they seem to get fickle unless its a national event

Where ever you guys have the fall classic, I plan to attend, I like racing with you guys... feel bad i missed this one

Leave my user title alone 03LightningRocks's Avatar
    I think expanding the event to include the Harley guys is the best answer. Dropping down to an 1/8th mile track is not my prefered way of racing. It is kind of like having sex but not getting to climax.

Blaming the distance is lame in my mind. The same folks that didn't race in the Hallsville event also didn't show up at Ennis for any racing to speak of this year.

We actually don't have many die hard racers in this club. I mentioned before, that track nights are usely the same four or five people.

The solution in my mind is to foster the racing through the new members by always incouraging them to hit the track. I don't really expect guys that have owned Lightnings for a couple years or more to suddenly start hitting the track.

I am not condemning them for it, but hey, lets just call it like it is. Some like to race....some like to strut their stuff at the dyno. Some just like to be in the groovy Lightning club. It takes all types.

Rocks

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    Another GOOD option is to Encourage the NON racers to show up for a fun day at the track. Offer to help them with the ins and out of racing and to encourage them that it is about having a great time with other Lightning owners... You DONT have to beat on your truck.... Spend 500 on a set of slicks and race your stock truck.... Doing legal burnouts and facing the tree and collecting timeslips is FUN ....

Doug

Leave my user title alone 03LightningRocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_2000
    Another GOOD option is to Encourage the NON racers to show up for a fun day at the track. Offer to help them with the ins and out of racing and to encourage them that it is about having a great time with other Lightning owners... You DONT have to beat on your truck.... Spend 500 on a set of slicks and race your stock truck.... Doing legal burnouts and facing the tree and collecting timeslips is FUN ....

Doug

Actually, they don't even have to buy slicks. I have watched some guys turn some darned good numbers on street tires. Heck, Justin ran the whole event Saturday on street tires.

I feel I have tried pretty darned hard to get folks to the tracks on track nights. So has Ken and Rob and a couple others. We will continue to encourage folks to get out and hit the track.

Rocks
    Last edited by 03LightningRocks; 12-08-2003 at 06:38 PM.

yea could some one show me the ins and outs...I suck

Thread Information