Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a BMW today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thinking of buying a BMW today

its for the wife... trading in the 02 Jeep Liberty...

its a 2000 BMW 328i, 40k miles, silver, sport package w/ rims, leather, sunroof, auto, wood interior trim, etc... its got it all

it also has a Dinan package... not sure what that really is, but its got Dinan exhaust and a Dinan chip in it....

the car is in perfect shape.... not a dent on it

i got dealer down to $19k... kbb.com says a trade in value is $21k... do seems like a good deal...

what do you guys think?? does the Dinan stuff worry ya at all?? the dealer said its the only aftermarket stuff that BMW approves....

anyone know anything about that?? any thoughts??

Participating User
    Slightly off topic; but why are you trading in the LIberty? We're just about to buy one for the wife since they're roughly $7k off of sticker these days.

thats exactly why... they dont hold their value at all.... if I were to keep it another 2 years... it would be worth crap!! in 2 years or so, the bmw would at least have some value

Participating User sonicbluetommy's Avatar

Dinan Info

The Dinan stuff is what is used on the M3 beemers exclusively. The entire retro fit package runs about $8000. Seems pricey but beemer ppl love it and will pay extra for it, it adds value to base cars. There are also upgrades for the M3's for ppl who think an M3 is not quick enough. (Is any car/truck ever quick enough???)

A friend of mine in Denver has a 98 M3 he has upgraded to some of the Dinan stuff (about $2000). He took it back to the dealer where he traded for it and they offered him $3000 over what he payed for it just with the Dinan adders.

The M3's are great cars, quick, racy, tons of options (unlike our L's) and just a freakin blast to drive if you can afford them. New ones are running close to 60k. My friend payed about 26k for his w 30,000 mi and its a 98.

It was a pretty quick car b4, it almost kept up with the L and its a convertible. Plus BMW does not believe in power adders (turbo, s/c). I think his was a 3.4 ltr and it was quick. Not sure I want to race him now until I get a couple of mods on the L.

My wife has that exact same car down to the color, but it also has the M wheels, but doesn't have the exhaust or chip.

We're selling ours, the wife wants something new. If you're getting it from the dealer for 19k it's a damn good deal. I paid substantially more than a little over a year ago.

--wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesman
    My wife has that exact same car down to the color, but it also has the M wheels, but doesn't have the exhaust or chip.

We're selling ours, the wife wants something new. If you're getting it from the dealer for 19k it's a damn good deal. I paid substantially more than a little over a year ago.

--wes
    Actually I just noticed you said 328i.....the wifes is a coupe....328CI

--wes

Quote Originally Posted by 00Bolt

its a 2000 BMW 328i, 40k miles, silver, sport package w/ rims, leather, sunroof, auto, wood interior trim, etc... its got it all

it also has a Dinan package... not sure what that really is, but its got Dinan exhaust and a Dinan chip in it....

i got dealer down to $19k... kbb.com says a trade in value is $21k... do seems like a good deal...

what do you guys think?? does the Dinan stuff worry ya at all?? the dealer said its the only aftermarket stuff that BMW approves....

Be prepared to buy some lower control bushings for that car immediately. I replace at least one set a week AND about 75% of the ones I pull on the rack have bad bushings or have already been replaced by yours truely. That a problem for those cars but other than that very solid vehicles.

Participating User my2002lightning's Avatar

Cool

Trai,

Interesting you should mention that... a good friend of mine has a Z3 ('01 - '02) and is selling because he can detect some "slop" in the front...and its wearing out front tires prematurely.

He maintains his Z3 and Mini Cooper meticulously and still is disappointed at that point.

Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by my2002lightning
    Trai,

Interesting you should mention that... a good friend of mine has a Z3 ('01 - '02) and is selling because he can detect some "slop" in the front...and its wearing out front tires prematurely.

He maintains his Z3 and Mini Cooper meticulously and still is disappointed at that point.

Ronald
    The Z3 is a whole 'nother problem in itself. It does'nt have the bushing problem that the 98'up 3-series have, but it only has a front "toe" adjustment. It is pointless to build a car of such a price and not take tire wear into account. I had a Z3 on the rack and the customer got all pissed off at me when I told him there wasn't a single thing I could do to correct his extremely negative camber on the rear outside of costly parts replacement. Those Z3's sit very bad after about a year.

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    I have always wanted an M3 or M5 ....

Maybe some day

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    There was a Speedvision series team a few years ago running a V8 powered M3. Cheating whores but it ran like heck

Quote Originally Posted by 00Bolt

How soon are you looking to buy? I have a 2001 Audi S4 that I might be selling. It's very well taken care of and has been my daily driver. It's the ultimate sleeper running 12.0's @ 116 in the 1/4. Did I mention it's a four door car

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r1eater
    How soon are you looking to buy? I have a 2001 Audi S4 that I might be selling. It's very well taken care of and has been my daily driver. It's the ultimate sleeper running 12.0's @ 116 in the 1/4. Did I mention it's a four door car
    Is the S4 stock ? A buddy has an S4 that was in the high 13's last time he made a fool of himself racing against my truck...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_2000
    Is the S4 stock ? A buddy has an S4 that was in the high 13's last time he made a fool of himself racing against my truck...

Doug
    Not stock. I'm the guy that beat Rob's silver L at Ennis. Now I own Waynes old 99 black L. Go to video section to see the vid.

Will

www.s4racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by r1eater
    Not stock. I'm the guy that beat Rob's silver L at Ennis. Now I own Waynes old 99 black L. Go to video section to see the vid.

Will

www.s4racing.com
    Was that before Rob got the short block and KB?

Thread Information