Thread: JL Audio Stealth box in Expedition Console?

TALON Supporting Member SILVER2000SVT's Avatar

JL Audio Stealth box in Expedition Console?

I've been reading on the Expedition Center console conversion that some you have have done. One of the main reasons for do it for me would be so I can get a sub in there. I see where JL Audio has a stealth box for the F150's with bucket seats and the "short" Console. http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/f150_console.html Does anybody know if the Expedition console can hold that same stealth box. Because JL Audio doesn't show anything for the Expedition except for the one for the side panel in the cargo area. I've tried writing to JL Audio but haven't gotten a reply and that was 2 months ago.

Jason

Looking at the pic in the link it looks like there should be plenty of room in the Expy console to hold the sub. Let me know if you need any pics of the console conversion.

TALON Supporting Member SILVER2000SVT's Avatar
    Some pics would be helpful. I talked to a guy name Jeff Erwin that works at Mid-Cities Customs in Arlington. He said that he had done the chop to the Lightning passenger seat and charges $100 for it. He talked like the only thing that needed to be done was just chopping the frame and sewing the end back onto the seat without the center part. But I'm confused after reading the posts on here that say I need to buy some brackets. Are those for the seat or for the console or both? If it would be easier or cheaper for me, I can do most of the work myself except for the sewing part.

The other confusing part is that JL has a different stealth box for the consoles that come in the 01 and up F150's with the "tall" console.
    http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/f150_CTR3.html

So that is what has me wondering which stealth box, the "short" or "tall", if either will fit the expedition console.

I'm hoping to be able to get one of these stealth boxes in there and use one of the new style 10W6's instead of the 10W3 that come in them.

I also saw on here that the Navigator console will fit our trucks...is there a difference from the expediton one?

This question may have been asked before, but what is the best way to get my hands on one of these consoles?

Jason

I bought my conversion from Logan when he sold his first L., so I can't tell you all the details on what he did, but my recollection is that he found the console at a junkyard. Sne me your e. mail address and I'll e. mail you some pics of the conversion.

Chopping the bench seat frame down is ghetto.

The proper way is to buy the lower seat frame from a Expedition passenger bucket seat and the inner floor/seat mount so that the job looks factory. After that, yes, just chopping off the extra foam and material and re-sewing the bench end to the side of the new bucket is all that's required.

The console, I bought from a salvage yard, complete for $150 including mounting brackets. You want the medium graphite widebody console from any 99-02 Expedition.

It took me maybe 3 hours to complete the conversion when I did it to my old 99 L. I did the entire install, including the sewing, which REALLY isn't that difficult.
    Last edited by Logan; 07-10-2003 at 04:50 PM.
    Logan
    '03 Mercury Marauder - Again.
    '02 Mercury True Blue Villager

Hopefully I will have some pics up soon from the one that i am working on for Alpine. It is the Skinny one, but some modifications are under way. I think that it will be pretty impressive.

shaaaaaaaaaaaarp,shaaaaaaaaaaaarp,sharp!
    Its gonna be "sneaky"

Registered User diablolightning's Avatar
    Bottle in the console???; ) maybe

Thread Information