Thread: Universal remote

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar

Universal remote

I have heard about and lusted after a Harmony remote for years - Ever since I added an amp for 5.1 channel surround. Ex wife couldnt stand having to turn 3 or 4 things on and adjust inputs

BUT No way was I paying $200 or more for a remote

I bought the $100 520 version on a whim a few weeks ago

Its rocks

All the harmonies use the same software the ONLY difference is the physical remote. No entering codes for devices - you pick the device from a list by model number - the software KNOWS exactly what your device does and what it expects

If your SO ever complained about too many remotes or too difficult to turn everything on and get all the inputs right you need a harmony

It doesnt have EVERY physical button of every remote BUT it can have soft versions of every button and can be customized to do ANYTHING in any order with any delay

Its what a smart remote should be
    If something doesnt work - hit help - it will fix the issue or walk you thru smart options

finally its a learning remote, worst case use the old remote to teach the new one

Doug

I know exactly how you feel. All of my equipment seems to be different brands and I could never find a remote that would do it all. Then I found a site talking about a Radio Shack $30 8 channel remote. I decided to try it before dropping the $100. What do you know, it works perfectly with ALL my stuff! Like your remote, you can "learn" features, program buttons, add macros, and customize it however you want. Now I wonder what took me so long!

The only thing that sucks about my remote is that it is capable of tons of things, but the instructions suck so it takes some work learning how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gagspa View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. All of my equipment seems to be different brands and I could never find a remote that would do it all. Then I found a site talking about a Radio Shack $30 8 channel remote. I decided to try it before dropping the $100. What do you know, it works perfectly with ALL my stuff! Like your remote, you can "learn" features, program buttons, add macros, and customize it however you want. Now I wonder what took me so long!

The only thing that sucks about my remote is that it is capable of tons of things, but the instructions suck so it takes some work learning how to use it.
    Ive had the various universals in the past - no comparison

I push a button called watch DVD it turns everything on for DVD
    I push a different button for play Xbox - it switches everything to the XBOX
    Last edited by Silver_2000; 10-30-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Participating User
    Hummm. Not much of an issue in my house. 1 TV. one remote (in my hand) No cable, no VCR, no DVD player. Just the TV and Play station. And 3 computers.

Charlie

TALON Supporting Member SILVER2000SVT's Avatar
    I have one of these, and it's great. You can get all your remotes setup to the one in just a few minutes and it walks you through it. I have since spent several hours tweaking the "soft" buttons to show just what I want and have them in the order of my preference. I have also set it up to where the devices don't turn off when you change function. For example I want to continue watching the game on TV but I want to listen to the radio, the default is to turn off the tv.

I have found a few buttons wrong (very few) for certain commands, but it's easy to teach the software the correct codes using your old remote.

My wife is so impressed with it shes bragging to people shes knows how great it is and easy to use. It sure beats the existing 7 remotes I used to have. It turns on the appropriate components for a given activity and sets the inputs to each of them all in one command.

Leave my user title alone 03LightningRocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Hummm. Not much of an issue in my house. 1 TV. one remote (in my hand) No cable, no VCR, no DVD player. Just the TV and Play station. And 3 computers.

Charlie
    What the hell Charlie? Are you communist? No cable???? Good lord man, do you have indoor plumbing yet?

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    I only get 3 channels, 4 if I want to hold the antenna... I thought Sony made a super remote?

Leave my user title alone 03LightningRocks's Avatar
    No sh!t guys, I have six...yep SIX different remotes. It is ridiculous. The damn things take up half the coffee table.

I have tried some of the remotes that are suppose to control everything, but there is always some function that won't work somewhere. I may have to check into the one Doug is talking about. I wonder if it will work with a Bose surround sound system. I have yet to find a remote that would recognize this Bose system. It is about 8 years old. It is a lifestyle 12 series 2 system. It was considered the stuff when I bought it.

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by 03LightningRocks View Post
    What the hell Charlie? Are you communist? No cable???? Good lord man, do you have indoor plumbing yet?
    Between the kiddo and the truck, there is no spare money left! Besides, I spend more time on the computer and the garage than I do in front of the TV.

Charlie

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar
    I have one remote for the cable box and actually push the ON/OFF button for the TV.
    I took the vice grips off the channel changer since getting cable.

DO some of you have electricity ?

Vice grips are a nice touch

Bought a 767 at sams for I think $85 about 6 months ago. Works great, but it does eat batteries. I turned the backlight duration down to try and help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_2000 View Post
    Ive had the various universals in the past - no comparison

I push a button called watch DVD it turns everything on for DVD
    I push a different button for play Xbox - it switches everything to the XBOX
    This one can do that with the Macro Buttons, but there are only three. I M1 programmed to change the input of the TV to Input 3, Change the Audio input to DVD, and turn on the DVD player. It does all that with the push of a button.

Thread Information