Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My observations about racing................

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpipes
    SCCA is cool and some of the top classes are pretty good, but there is too much diversity in sports car racing to make them a class. I've always wanted to race a Sunbeam Tiger in an SCCA class.
    I saw one of those at Green Valley Raceway, lo those many moons ago, and it was embarrassing alot of the competition. The eBay link is a good chance, but something that rare is too much at risk for me, I think I'd rather a replica that I could have some fun with.

Quote Originally Posted by dboat
    And the women that attend these events in order of intelligence, looks and golddiggerness are as follows:

3) CrashCar- usually white trash at its best, which at times can be pretty darned good, but the others have a higher volume of the good stuff

Dana
    Without disagreeing with your generalization I proudly confess that I lust after Teresa Earnhardt. And, despite her syrupy southern drawl, she's a pretty sharp businesswoman.

Not to change the subject.....but this does have to do with racing. ESPN was reporting after the race that "unnamed sources" inside the league might consider a protest against Danika due to the weight advantage she has over the other drivers. She only weights 100lbs!! Do you think there is any truth to that or are they just pissed cause (all of them but 3) got their asses handed to them by a hottie?? I guess you have to get any advantage possible.
    95 - G1
    Blown, Stroked & Juiced

Quote Originally Posted by Shiner1
    Not to change the subject.....but this does have to do with racing. ESPN was reporting after the race that "unnamed sources" inside the league might consider a protest against Danika due to the weight advantage she has over the other drivers. She only weights 100lbs!! Do you think there is any truth to that or are they just pissed cause (all of them but 3) got their asses handed to them by a hottie?? I guess you have to get any advantage possible.
    bwahahah.. now the crying begins... typical, maybe they'll file suit and require a minimum driver weight as well, and force 'em to strap weights to her... either that, or ban wimmins.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiner1
    I have heard that there might be a protest or that there might be a move for some rule changes. Although most of those guys are pretty little and dont weigh over 150 lbs. But a 50 lb advantage is pretty big.
    I dont hear anything of the sort coming out of F1 with the couple of larger drivers in the Schumacher brothers. I think its crap personally. What are you going to do? weigh each driver just before the race and make them add ballast to bring the lightest driver up to the same weight as the others? Its just a bunch of to me.
    Dana

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar
    I have heard that there might be a protest or that there might be a move for some rule changes. Although most of those guys are pretty little and dont weigh over 150 lbs. But a 50 lb advantage is pretty big.
    I dont hear anything of the sort coming out of F1 with the couple of larger drivers in the Schumacher brothers. I think its crap personally. What are you going to do? weigh each driver just before the race and make them add ballast to bring the lightest driver up to the same weight as the others? Its just a bunch of to me.
    Dana
    Dana, F1 weighs drivers before and after the race. Total weight is the correct method. Drivers that are lighter still have an advantage because you can place the weight any where you want in the car. Yes even in CrashCar.
    Mark

the best racing - Supercross and Pro MX. No discounting skill needed or the physical aspect. It is one of the most demanding of ALL the sports.

Dana
    F1 regs state (no cut'n'paste here): "Cars must weigh no less than 605Kg (including the driver) during qualifying and at least 600Kg at all other times. Teams may use ballast to bring cars up to weight. This must be firmly secured to the cars. Ballast may not be removed or added during the race." And F1 teams arae looking for the lightest drivers they can find; if they find women drivers with the same or better skills than the men, they'll snag 'em up in a heatbeat.

Well Mark and Tex,

Thanks for the education. I didnt realize that, although isnt that why one of the guys got sanctioned? because his car fell below the minimum weight? I guess I didnt connect the dots.
    Ok, new rant.. I think the cars should have a min weight requirement but if one driver is fatter or taller or skinnier than another, then so be it..

Dana

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar
    FYI, Thankfully F1 scrapped the 2 day qualifying and went back to the one day sessions on Saturday.

Honda was thrown out for 2 races for having like 5.5L of ballast in the fuel cell, or 12 lbs.

So I will agree with RG on this one, 100lbs may make a difference.

Why do you think some of us remove the seat, tailgate, spare tire, bed cover, sway bars, floor mats, socks, shoes, radar detector, etc. to get to 100lbs lighter.
    Last edited by Mark #2; 06-01-2005 at 06:40 PM.

post of the year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark #2
    FYI, Thankfully F1 scrapped the 2 day qualifying and went back to the one day sessions on Saturday.

Honda was thrown out for 2 races for having like 5.5L of ballast in the fuel cell, or 12 lbs.

Why do you think some of us remove the seat, tailgate, spare tire, bed cover, sway bars, floor mats, socks, shoes, radar detector, etc. to get to 100lbs lighter.
    THey say on Speed that one gallon (~4 kilograms) is good for 0.1 seconds... iirc

Egh, I think it's sour grapes... one of these days, someone'll find a horse-jockey-sized driver that weighs 90lbs, that has the skill of Senna--imagine the bitching on THAT one!!

I'm with Dana... set the minimum weight of the car, and the driver is fair game.

Participating User my2002lightning's Avatar

Thumbs up

Arie Luyendyk, Jr. evidently owns a '01 L.

http://www.arieluyendyk.com/about/in...?page=personal

Quote Originally Posted by my2002lightning
    Arie Luyendyk, Jr. evidently owns a '01 L.

http://www.arieluyendyk.com/about/in...?page=personal

Quote Originally Posted by Mark #2
    Who is RG?

Thread Information