Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My observations about racing................

My observations about racing................

I was able to watch different racing venues today (NASCAR justed started) and have made several observations.......

Although Formula 1 is extremely high-tech and the cars/drivers are probably the best in the world, it is more a soap opera than a race. A race which women will never get to participate in as drivers. This primarily because of the caveman mentality of European males in general. Great soap opera today as Raikonen lost his right front wheel on the last lap. Great theatre, but not great racing.

Indy Car racing is dominated by racing conglomerates (Penske, Andretti, Rahal, Foyt). Women are welcomed especially by those who understand the marketability of a very talented female driver (see also NHRA/Angele Savoie). Racing competition is excellent if you work for one of the big guys; if not, forget it.

NASCAR is dinosaur racing at its best. Bumper to bumper, but it seems like they are racing school buses after watching Formula 1 and Indy Car today. The anouncers never seem to run out of ways to butcher the English language.

My rankings of all three racing venues regarding the following subjects.

IQ of Drivers

1) Formula One
    2) Indy Car
    3) Snoop Doggy
    4) NASCAR

Acceptance of women in the sport

1) Indy Car
    2) NASCAR
    3) WWF
    4) Formula One (Accepted as umbrella carriers only)

Car Performance

1) Formula One
    2) Indy Car
    3) DART Bus
    4) NASCAR

Preferred alcoholic beverage

1) Formula One - Wine/Sparkling Water
    2) Indy Car - Mixed drinks/Champagne
    3) NASCAR - Beer/Beer

Announcers' knowledge of their sport

1) Formula One
    2) Indy Car
    3) NASCAR (Anyone that starts the race with boogity, boogity, boogity automatically gets last place.)

A final observation

Most competitive drivers in all three venues are pretty small guys. There are exceptions such as Michael Waltrip and Michael Schumacher, but I think I could take at least 90% of these guys in a UFC-style cage match even at my advanced age. I would certainly be out-quicked, but few would be able to escape my devestating ground and pound attack once I pinned their scrawny little a$$es to the canvas. (I know the UFC comment doesn't have anything to do with racing, but as a Texan, most references to fighting whether in context or not are usually acceptable.)
    Last edited by Sixpipes; 05-29-2005 at 05:52 PM.

BWAHAHAAA!!!

Damn, that was good.. thanks! The only thing I would change is the preferred drinks:

F1: wine/mixed drinks (you have no idea how plastered they get over there--hear about Raikkonen falling into a lake piss-drunk?? )
    (others: no change)
    NASCAR (or is that CRASHCAR?): piss/beer (because they drink that Amurrikin stuff that's just one step below horse weewee) :khana:

Hey, you mind if swipe this for another forum?? I'll give you credit if you wish.

Sixer,

I agree with you on all accounts. And the women that attend these events in order of intelligence, looks and golddiggerness are as follows:

1) Formula One - was there any doubt? May not always be the best looking but they can golddig with the very best

2) Indy Car

3) CrashCar- usually white trash at its best, which at times can be pretty darned good, but the others have a higher volume of the good stuff

Yes no women drivers in Formula One, but there have been precious few in any of them that you listed, and well Angolie (NHRA) is a motorcycle rider. (still pretty hot though) There was one other pretty good looking blonde female NHRA driver a few years back and she got out when she got pregnant, her brother was a driver too, think she drove Pro Stock but cant remember her name.. She got a fair amount of attention as well.

As far a the women being umbrella holders in F1, wellllll.... what's wrong with that?

Great post Dennis

Dana
    Last edited by dboat; 05-29-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Well, I don't mean to be disrespectful to any professional race drivers because I would have absolutely killed to be able to do that for a living. As a matter of fact, I am seeking a patent for a protective piece of equipment that I call the "Go_rilla" device. It provides protection for the driver's gonads, which we all know must be the size of coconuts to do what they do. Can't give you any details right now, but I'm going to make millions.

Also, as an observation, most drivers seem to be in great shape these days and most work out on a regular basis; exception that comes to mind would be Jimmy Spencer. I also want to clear up a misunderstanding for the NASCAR drivers. Staying in shape has positive benefits when racing around oval tracks due to G-force. I would like to clear up the term "G-force" for the NASCAR fans out there. G-force is the force of G-R-A-V-I-T-Y on your body when taking a corner. It does not stand for the force exerted on your G-O-N-A-D-S.
    Last edited by Sixpipes; 05-29-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpipes
    Well, I don't mean to be disrespectful to any professional race drivers because I would have absolutely killed to be able to do that for a living. As a mater of fact, I am seeking a patent for a protective piece of equipment that I call the "Go_rilla" device. It provides protection for the driver's gonads, which we all know must be the size of coconuts to do what they do. Can't give you any details right now, but I'm going to make millions.

Also, as an observation, most drivers seem to be in great shape these days and most work out on a regular basis; exception that comes to mind would be Jimmy Spencer. I also want to clear up a misunderstanding for the NASCAR drivers. Staying in shape has positive benefits when racing around oval tracks due to G-force. I would like to clear up the term "G-force" for the NASCAR fans out there. G-force is the force of G-R-A-V-I-T-Y on your body when taking a corner. It does not stand for the force exerted on your G-O-N-A-D-S.

F1 drivers have been working out like professional athletes since the late 70's, including doing their jobbing during the heat of the day, so they can be acclimated to the heat.

Remember that little "drive swap" last year between Montoya and Gordon?? They ahd to tape extra padding in Montoya's cockpit, so Jeff could hold his head up while taking the turns. And when they showed Derek Daly's drive of the Jordan, he said that he had to had an extra pad behind his helmet, because he couldn't hold it up against the ACCELERATION of the F1 car!!!

Yeah, I'd say F1 is the one of the most brutal, right behind the Baja SCORE racers.

Participating User Ivanhoe_Farms's Avatar

Wait a minute

You seem to have left out two very important venues of racing -- to wit:

Sports Car Racing ala LeMans, Sebring, Atlanta, NurnbergRing, Hockenheim, Aberbach

Drag Racing

Care to comment?
    Last edited by Ivanhoe_Farms; 05-29-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanhoe_Farms
    You seem to have left out two very important venues of racing -- to wit:

Sports Car Racing ala LeMans, Sebring, Atlanta, NurnbergRing, Hockenheim, Aberbach

Drag Racing

Care to comment?
    Sprts Car: akin to F1, tho not as brutal and technologically advanced. REAL racing, tho, not this "turn left 10,000 times and crash when someone flicks a booger out the window" crap.

Drag racing: akin to "speed-masturbation": kinda fun to do, but gets boring real quick.

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixpipes
    I was able to watch different racing venues today (NASCAR justed started) and have made several observations.......

Although Formula 1 is extremely high-tech and the cars/drivers are probably the best in the world, it is more a soap opera than a race. A race which women will never get to participate in as drivers. This primarily because of the caveman mentality of European males in general. Great soap opera today as Raikonen lost his right front wheel on the last lap. Great theatre, but not great racing.

Indy Car racing is dominated by racing conglomerates (Penske, Andretti, Rahal, Foyt). Women are welcomed especially by those who understand the marketability of a very talented female driver (see also NHRA/Angele Savoie). Racing competition is excellent if you work for one of the big guys; if not, forget it.

NASCAR is dinosaur racing at its best. Bumper to bumper, but it seems like they are racing school buses after watching Formula 1 and Indy Car today. The anouncers never seem to run out of ways to butcher the English language.

My rankings of all three racing venues regarding the following subjects.

IQ of Drivers

1) Formula One
    2) Indy Car
    3) Snoop Doggy
    4) NASCAR

Acceptance of women in the sport

1) Indy Car
    2) NASCAR
    3) WWF
    4) Formula One (Accepted as umbrella carriers only)

Car Performance

1) Formula One
    2) Indy Car
    3) DART Bus
    4) NASCAR

Preferred alcoholic beverage

1) Formula One - Wine/Sparkling Water
    2) Indy Car - Mixed drinks/Champagne
    3) NASCAR - Beer/Beer

Announcers' knowledge of their sport

1) Formula One
    2) Indy Car
    3) NASCAR (Anyone that starts the race with boogity, boogity, boogity automatically gets last place.)

A final observation

Most competitive drivers in all three venues are pretty small guys. There are exceptions such as Michael Waltrip and Michael Schumacher, but I think I could take at least 90% of these guys in a UFC-style cage match even at my advanced age. I would certainly be out-quicked, but few would be able to escape my devestating ground and pound attack once I pinned their scrawny little a$$es to the canvas. (I know the UFC comment doesn't have anything to do with racing, but as a Texan, most references to fighting whether in context or not are usually acceptable.)
    Nice post, I'll agree with most of it but:

I'll go out on a limb here:
    Ryan Newman has an engineering degree from Purdue, I do not think Snoop or any of the F1 or Indy drivers have college degrees, but the F1 guys are bi.........lingual that is, so that requires some IQ.

F1 is very accepting of women, you have to go to a race in France, very accepting

I don't know of any Dart buses that go 200 MPH.

What's wrong with Beer?

F1 announcers are very good.

Dale JR just wrecked Micheal so he should beat his little ass.
    Last edited by Mark #2; 05-29-2005 at 09:52 PM.

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar
    Okay, now it is an official CrashCar record. 21 cautions, and I'll bet it's not over yet. Oh but I'm sorry for wrecking you, I wish everyone was less PC in CrashCar like the old days. Time for fighting again.

Well I was right. Now at 22, I think 23 now with the red flag and not a mark on Bobbie Labonte's car
    Last edited by Mark #2; 05-29-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark #2
    Nice post, I'll agree with most of it but:

I'll go out on a limb here:
    Ryan Newman has an engineering degree from Purdue, I do not think Snoop or any of the F1 or Indy drivers have college degrees, but the F1 guys are bi.........lingual that is, so that requires some IQ.

F1 is very accepting of women, you have to go to a race in France, very accepting

I don't know of any Dart buses that go 200 MPH.

What's wrong with Beer?

F1 announcers are very good.

Dale JR just wrecked Micheal so he should beat his little ass.

Michael Schumacher may not have a degree, but he's got the mind of an engineer, and his ability in that regard helped Ferrari become the powerhouse they are.

ANd the F1 women are the hottest ever.

DART buses are more maneuverable, and they can turn right!!

American beer is one step up from toxic waste, in taste, and one step below in alcohol content.

The SPEED announcers are excellent; the CBS pbp announcer should have his throat cut, the color guy Derek Daly is good.

Dale Jr. is a spare riding on his daddy's legacy.

Okay, now it is an official CrashCar record. 21 cautions, and I'll bet it's not over yet. Oh but I'm sorry for wrecking you, I wish everyone was less PC in CrashCar like the old days. Time for fighting again.

Well I was right. Now at 22, I think 23 now with the red flag and not a mark on Bobbie Labonte's car
    Hey, in the F1 race today, they *almost* set a record, in having a complete race without *one* mechanical failure, 'til Raikkonen went and blew up his suspension...

The main reason I liked the original Indycar race series and F1 is that they do roadcoarses. Indycar did ovals as well but both have to turn right and left.
    The second reason is that in open wheel racing you have to actually pass somebody by using skill rather than rubbing, bumping or flat out pushing them into the wall. It takes driving skill, because if you let your tires hit a car or another set of tires in open wheel racing, then your chances of getting airborne are pretty darned good.
    The split up of the indycar series into two racing leagues has been the ruination of both series. Face it, the Indy 500 aint what it used to be. My personal interest in Indycar type racing has greatly wained to the point where I seldom watch it. With Formula 1, while Michael Schumacher has been setting every record over the past few years, the series itself has been good. This year may be the least entertaining to me with the advent of the "one set of tires" rule. Which I personally find ridiculous. However, there are some new and fast drivers, and the other teams have worked hard to catch up and pass the Ferrari's. How much of it is Michael getting older and how much of it is tyre technology, I dont know, but it has made for an interesting year. (I am betting on the tyre tech being a huge factor).
    Also, the open wheel guys, esp F1, race in the rain. Could you imagine if CrashCar decided to do that too ? Wouldnt that be a hoot.

Lastly, while the drivers dont have to sprint across the track, hop in their car, start it and drive away. The standing start in F1 and the subsequent sprint to the first corner is still one of the most exciting parts of motorsports. Imagine if the other series adopted it?

Tex,
    I for one still love a good NHRA race event. Its one of those things that, while completely the opposite of F1, I do enjoy. I like going through the pits and watching the mechanics tear apart and engine and put it back together in an hour. I love the feel of the ground shaking as too 5000 HP vehicles leave the starting line. I love the smell of the tires as the drivers burnout and the smell of the exhaust and unburned fuel in the air. I like some of the characters that are/were in the series. How can one not like John Force? However, as the day wears on, the time between the heats does get to be a bit much, but I doubt that much can be done about it.

Dana

Exception noted, but that does explain why Newman is so good at qualifying. He does have an inherent understanding of the coefficient of friction. Most of the other guys just say, "Dang, ever time I go too fast in the coner, my tars is slidin".

With regards to the NHRA, in person, the Top Fuel and Funny Cars are the most impressive show, IMO. Why anyone would climb into one of those things is beyond me. It doesn't require near the overall skills that the other forms of racing demand, but it is way cool. And most of those guys drink beer so I can relate. What's another 100 pounds when you are racing a 7,500 horsepower sled?

SCCA is cool and some of the top classes are pretty good, but there is too much diversity in sports car racing to make them a class. I've always wanted to race a Sunbeam Tiger in an SCCA class.
    Last edited by Sixpipes; 05-30-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Participating User Ivanhoe_Farms's Avatar

Sixer, here is your chance!!

Quote Originally Posted by dboat
    The main reason I liked the original Indycar race series and F1 is that they do roadcoarses. Indycar did ovals as well but both have to turn right and left.
    The second reason is that in open wheel racing you have to actually pass somebody by using skill rather than rubbing, bumping or flat out pushing them into the wall. It takes driving skill, because if you let your tires hit a car or another set of tires in open wheel racing, then your chances of getting airborne are pretty darned good.
    The split up of the indycar series into two racing leagues has been the ruination of both series. Face it, the Indy 500 aint what it used to be. My personal interest in Indycar type racing has greatly wained to the point where I seldom watch it. With Formula 1, while Michael Schumacher has been setting every record over the past few years, the series itself has been good. This year may be the least entertaining to me with the advent of the "one set of tires" rule. Which I personally find ridiculous. However, there are some new and fast drivers, and the other teams have worked hard to catch up and pass the Ferrari's. How much of it is Michael getting older and how much of it is tyre technology, I dont know, but it has made for an interesting year. (I am betting on the tyre tech being a huge factor).
    Also, the open wheel guys, esp F1, race in the rain. Could you imagine if CrashCar decided to do that too ? Wouldnt that be a hoot.

Lastly, while the drivers dont have to sprint across the track, hop in their car, start it and drive away. The standing start in F1 and the subsequent sprint to the first corner is still one of the most exciting parts of motorsports. Imagine if the other series adopted it?

Tex,
    I for one still love a good NHRA race event. Its one of those things that, while completely the opposite of F1, I do enjoy. I like going through the pits and watching the mechanics tear apart and engine and put it back together in an hour. I love the feel of the ground shaking as too 5000 HP vehicles leave the starting line. I love the smell of the tires as the drivers burnout and the smell of the exhaust and unburned fuel in the air. I like some of the characters that are/were in the series. How can one not like John Force? However, as the day wears on, the time between the heats does get to be a bit much, but I doubt that much can be done about it.

Dana

I disagree about the tire rule thing: it has thorwn a hge wrench into the series that everyone is still trying to deal with, and it is partly why the mighty Ferrari team has fallen so hard of late. And it was a direct factor in the drama of Sunday's race, just ask Kimi . But--and I agree with the announcers here--maybe it's not such a good thing. And I hope they come to their senses and go back to the original "lightweight flying lap" qualifying rule, that was hella more exciting than the silliness they have now.

I can't disagree with you on the NHRA, the awesome power those cars produce is unquestionably the biggest draw, not to mention the potential for a fireball instead of a race. I just prefer the skill and sublety of continual driving on the edge, much like a drawn-out fencing match, or a tied hockey game where everyone has to be "ON", and one small slip makes the difference.

Thread Information