Thread: Diesel security

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar

Diesel security

Apparently theives are looking at our big trucks a little harder. Here is an excerpt from a thread: Here is the thread
    http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...=1#Post2372444
    Sorry to hear it. I'm not far away, just over in Orlando....and was told by a buddy of mine that is an Orange County Deputy(for those of you not in Florida, Orange County covers Orlando and many of the surrounding suburbs) that F250 and F350 diesel trucks are among the most stolen(or attempted) vehicles.

About 2 months ago, my girlfriend and I went to see a movie at a local theater. When we came out of the theater, I saw a guy slam a screwdriver into the keyhole of an F350 parked right next to mine(later found out it's an '05 King Ranch with a 6.0L), pop the door open, climb in, and start to pry out the ignition. I stared in disbelief for a few seconds, headed over that way and yelled at him when I was about 15' away, and he climbed out and started at me with the screwdriver. Poor bastard. A few feet later, he realized that a .45 beats a screwdriver. He was smart about it...he stopped, hit the ground, and begged me not to kill him. I got a laugh out of it. Uniformed deputies were there within 3 minutes(somebody called when I drew my sidearm) and took the schmuck away. After the deputies left(about 30 mins later), I hung out for another hour until the owner came out of the theater. He was happy I was around to stop the guy, and as it turned out....he is an FHP Trooper that lives 2 blocks from me.

He told me that he knew his truck was a prime target for thieves, and that he just hadn't had the opportunity to install an alarm yet. He had only had the truck for a few weeks. The next weekend, he supplied the beer, and we installed an alarm and ignition kill.

The moral of the story? Get an alarm and starter kill, at least, immediately. Something with a visible armed indication. Most thieves will bypass it for an easier target. If you have the know how, wire yourself up a remote switch for starter kill or ignition power kill.

Mike

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    The alarm worked well while at FFW. It reached from my hotel room which was on the other side of the building on the first floor. I was only 5-10 seconds away from the parking lot if needed. Since it was about 50 degrees out there I started it from the room while I was checking out. At the track I could reach the truck from about anywhere over the grounds. Proving to be a good investment so far

Thread Information