Thread: Appraisal district money grab

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar

Appraisal district money grab

Today I received notice from Denton COunty that they want proof that I live in my house to continue to receive the homestead exemption.

The proof they require is a photo copy of my driver license and a copy of my registration receipt for my cars. Ironically the form they ask you to fill out has no spot on it for a signature.

I doubt I kept my registration receipt.

This appears to be a blatant attempt to get more tax money because a certain percentage of people simply wont fill out the forms.

Such BS

Seems like odd documentation of residency. I woulda' thought they'd want utility bills.

they accept utility bills if you testify that you dont own a car ...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_2000 View Post
    they accept utility bills if you testify that you dont own a car ...
    Weird.

The registration sticker shows the county in which it was registered so at least you can prove it was Denton County. Texas DMV should have record of the address.

Quote Originally Posted by PUMP View Post
    The registration sticker shows the county in which it was registered so at least you can prove it was Denton County. Texas DMV should have record of the address.
    Well its $2 to get a copy of your registration receipt ....

They know I live there... Its the same scam as the tickets for no Ins - they have an online database of who has insurance. Most of the time when they write the ticket they know you have valid Ins ( or not ) - just an expired card - they write the $400 ticket in hopes you just pay it ....

The city of Carrollton has my water bill thats not hard to find... why did we let politicians at this ?

Well its $2 to get a copy of your registration receipt ....

They know I live there... Its the same scam as the tickets for no Ins - they have an online database of who has insurance. Most of the time when they write the ticket they know you have valid Ins ( or not ) - just an expired card - they write the $400 ticket in hopes you just pay it ....

The city of Carrollton has my water bill thats not hard to find... why did we let politicians at this ?
    Well, it is a money grab, plain and simple. The issue is that governments are supposed to live within their means, like businesses. They dont like it when the money stream slows down to a trickle mostly due to the economy. So rather than really set themselves up to be flexible and lean, they try to extract more money (revenue) from us. Good politicians know this and make quick moves to downsize the workforce and cut back. Others wait until the stuff hits the fan and pull these kinds of stunts to try to get themselves out of real jams. IMHO
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by dboat View Post
    The issue is that governments are supposed to live within their means, like businesses. They dont like it when the money stream slows down to a trickle mostly due to the economy. So rather than really set themselves up to be flexible and lean, they try to extract more money (revenue) from us. Good politicians know this and make quick moves to downsize the workforce and cut back. Others wait until the stuff hits the fan and pull these kinds of stunts to try to get themselves out of real jams. IMHO
    Dana
    One big difference is that goverments are not intended to make a profit. They exist solely to provide services to the governed.

Now, is the problem that when revenue declines the governed aren't willing to accept a reduction in service, thereby forcing the goverment to find/make up new revenue streams, or is the issue that the politicians think if they reduce services when revenue declines then the governed won't re-elect them? My suspicion is the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    One big difference is that goverments are not intended to make a profit. They exist solely to provide services to the governed.

Now, is the problem that when revenue declines the governed aren't willing to accept a reduction in service, thereby forcing the goverment to find/make up new revenue streams, or is the issue that the politicians think if they reduce services when revenue declines then the governed won't re-elect them? My suspicion is the latter.
    Well, no one likes to have to cut their spending and the size of budgets and the number of people employed helps give a politician the feeling of power. Rather than feeling good about cutting spending and then cutting taxes to let folks have more money in their pocket. But I would guess that you are correct, no one likes to have services cut either.

Brian

Im not faulting the Cop on the street for writing the Ins tickets - its his management that at fault.

He or she is just following direction

I agree with your assumption about electability.
    Who was it that said that the economy is doomed when a section of the populace realizes they can award them selves $$ from the govt coffers

Who was it that said that the economy is doomed when a section of the populace realizes they can award them selves $$ from the govt coffers
    A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. - attributed to Lord Woodhouselee, Alexander Fraser Tytler, a Scottish historian/professor from the late 1700's.

Thread Information