Thread: Chl

Chl

Where would you all recommend going to get my CHL? I have searched on-line and they all appear to be basicly about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiner1 View Post
    Where would you all recommend going to get my CHL? I have searched on-line and they all appear to be basicly about the same.
    They pretty much are all the same because they have to meet certain minimum criteria. We went to the range over by Love Field on a Sat, 9 hours long, but it was decent. Not entertaining, but again, I guess it not supposed to be. The instructors were good and the time didnt go too slow. I learned a lot and so did the wife and friend. I would go there again.

Dana

Participating User
    I did mine through Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills. It wasn't bad. I have a friend that teaches them here in Dallas. I can get some info if you're still needing to go. Took 4 months to get my CHL from the state. Also what ever you do, take your class with a semi auto. If you take it with a single action revolver then that's all you can carry. Where as if you use a semi auto you can carry either.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    The most important part is a place that has it all at the same location classroom, pictures and range. Most cut the class a few hours short which is nice. I hear you must do electronic fingerprints now which only two companies are contracted to take them. Registering online with DPS jump starts your packet before the class. I like the class at TDSA in south Dallas if they still do it. One of Brian's guys is also an instructor.
    I prefer a high capacity 9mm for the course like Glock or XD. That way you avoid all of the reloading, decocking and safety fumbling otherwise required. I took a class with a guy running a 6rd auto pocket gun. He wasted 20 min loading magazines mid stream. I googled some that teach at a hotel then shoot at Bass Pro Grapevine.

Participating User
    Yea, I forgot that some break it in to two classes at different locals. Definitely find an "all-in-one". A 9mm would be nice and easy to test with. I took mine with my 1911.

I did mine at Bullet Trap in East Plano. Classes, forms, range all in one place. I plan to go there this spring for my 4-year renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by L8 APEX View Post
    One of Brian's guys is also an instructor.
    Yup, a buddy of mine (and one of our Lt's) just started teaching. He's an excellent instructor. If you want shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him. It'd be a drive for you, but worth it. He's got lots of real world experience - USMC, SWAT commander, subgun instructor, etc.

I did my initial and my renewal with a guy in Ft. Worth. He starts at the range (Lancaster and 820) and then moves to his house just up the road. His is a great guy to work with. When my wife took hers, I called around and got a bunch of friends to take it with her so that she wasn't with a bunch of strangers. I don't remember the guy's name, but you find him if you google CHLTX

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by PUMP View Post
    I did mine at Bullet Trap in East Plano. Classes, forms, range all in one place. I plan to go there this spring for my 4-year renewal.
    Isn't the renewal just the class portion or do you have to shoot again?

Thanks guys. This is the info I was looking for. I realize that all courses have the same requirements to meet but I was looking for personal experiences with different programs. (this guy was great, this guy was a loser...that kind of stuff) Thanks for the input.

Brian - I'll shoot you a PM.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    It is now a 5yr license and you get to skip class every third renewal

The renewal class is also shorter than the new class.

Participating User
    Dang, so I have to sit through the class again?

Quote Originally Posted by Braker85 View Post
    Dang, so I have to sit through the class again?
    Renewal class is 4-hours. Small price to pay for a freedom we did not have 16 years ago.
    Last edited by PUMP; 02-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Participating User
    Very true. A little while back they were talking about passing a law that made the CHL legal in every state. Kinda like a nation wide thing

Thread Information