Thread: Question for the diesel guys.

Participating User

Question for the diesel guys.

I'm thinking about getting a F-350 quad cab 7.3L auto 2 wheel drive . (low mileage) I know they get 15-16 mpg. On the 96 models can you hook up a bulleydog (or something like it) to increase the mileage?

BTW. If I get it. I'll be selling my L for 10K

Not exactly the same, as my SD was a 6.0, but when I used a SCT programmer with an economy tune I got at most a 1 MPG increase. For my money, don't count on any programmer to increase your real world mileage by any significant amount.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    That is an oldie. The best 7.3's were 99.5 and newer. I think a 96 is an IDI motor? Exhaust helps the most. Those had a big dent in the down pipe I think. It should get 20mpg.

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by L8 APEX View Post
    That is an oldie. The best 7.3's were 99.5 and newer. I think a 96 is an IDI motor? Exhaust helps the most. Those had a big dent in the down pipe I think. It should get 20mpg.
    20 mpg? on a quad cab dually?

Cool, got a list of stuff I would need?

And yeah it's an old one....But man it looks good!

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    The dually may cost you. Most of them had 4.10 gears back then. Now you have to special order 3.73 they are coming with 3.55 or less. But the 6spd has plenty of range.

Participating User
    I'm not to worried about the gears. I can change those.... Or find some one to do it.

Participating User
    I was a Technical Support Rep for Bully Dog before they downsized and moved back to Idaho. For the truck you're thinking about buying, there is a "6 Position 4 Bank" chip from Bully Dog (Part#:41611)

It will give this truck 65+ more HP, 120 tq, reduce sluggish shifts, increase fuel economy, reduces exhaust temps, and will remove the speed limiter.

It's easy to install, just plug the chip up to the PCM. Then run a wire from the chip to somewhere on the dash. At the end of this wire you will have a little silver 6 position knob where you can change the power settings on the fly.

One of the better products Bully Dog made. They last forever, and I never heard any bad feedback on it. Its a discontinued product, but there should still be some new ones out there.

Thread Information