Thread: Engine Light on in my 2002 Lightning

Engine Light on in my 2002 Lightning

I'm a new member to Talon. I have a 2002 Lightning I bought new. Last 5 years or more I have added some minor go-fast mods such as using a hand held programmer to boost performance, a K&N cold air set-up, and a low-restriction exhaust. I have 87K on it...it's my daily driver. I will have it for life…I love my truck.

In the last 6-8 months, I got the "check engine light" coming on and staying lit. Took it to Ford when the light first went on....Ford says the code is related to the air mass flow sensor (O2 sensor I'm guessing) and couldn't get the light to stay off through a complete drive cycle. All other tests were good. Had someone else look at it...throwing two codes that 1) it is running lean at idle and 2) a vacuum leak. No leaks could be traced and the O2 sensors are fine. So now I can't pass TX DOT inspection. My sticker expires end of May. I need to find a competent tech/mechanic proficient in 2nd Gen Lightning’s in the north Texas area (near Flower Mound where I live would be nice). Can anyone out there help me?

Welcome to the site Ralph. What color is your Lightning? Just wondering if I have seen you about. Send Ohmsby (John) a PM. He has a shop and a friend (James) that is a good wrench. James is really a friend to all of us but John has his contact info. He will do you right if he can. Good luck and again...welcome to Talon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiner1 View Post
    Welcome to the site Ralph. What color is your Lightning? Just wondering if I have seen you about. Send Ohmsby (John) a PM. He has a shop and a friend (James) that is a good wrench. James is really a friend to all of us but John has his contact info. He will do you right if he can. Good luck and again...welcome to Talon.
    Welcome Ralph.. +1 to James, have used him myself for a variety of things on my Lightning and other cars too..

Dana

2002 Lightning with the check engine light issue

Hello John and Dana. Thanks for the reply. Mine is a white 2002 Lightning I've owned since new. It's # 2243 OF 4726 built that year and only 295 in refrigerator white that year according to the SVTOA. John, if you're in Lewisville, then you probably seen me. I live in Flower Mound. The truck in my daily driver. I have a Cervini fiberglass hood on mine for about the last 7 years which kind of makes it stand out from the rest. It's got the '73 Mach 1 twin scoops that I think looks great on the truck because it mimics the design shape of the grille and lower valance openings. You might have also seen me around in a 1967 Mustang. I"m that gray haired fat guy driving a GTA Fastback in acapulco blue, white mach1 scoop and cobra jet stripe on the hood only, and white GT stripes repeated on the lower rocker panels. Parcment interior. I call it the Cool Blue Mule. I drive that most weekends. It's running a small block...was a 289 car when it was born...factory A/C and it actually works. Did a lot of resto mod work on it. Great top end driver. Some day we got get togther and I show you the truck and the car. Hope you're both having a nice Memorial Day. I would like to see your truck, too, and Dana's, too.

Nice rides Rlph. Pretty sure I'ver seen your L around town. I live 3 blocks behind LHS on Valley. Will have to get together for sure. Give James a call he will do you right.

Thanks Ralph, I live pretty close to Love Field in Preston Hollow. So I dont get up to Lewisville too often except to go through it to Denton where James and John "Ohmsby" lives. Usually to have James do work or another mod on my truck. James is very reliable and can tackle most work. I would like to get together soon, maybe we can get some of the guys to come together for another Talon night at Bone Daddys soon..

Dana

Texas Classics

Dana- Every few weeks or so, I drive over to Texas Classic Cars of Dallas on Mockingbird and Harry Hines to see what Dave and Maris have got in on cosignment. Definitely hope to meet you guys at some upcoming TALON event. And maybe one Satuday I'll catch you at Texas Classics, since it's not far from where you are. Here's the site: http://www.texasclassiccarsofdallas.com/ Check it out.

+3 on James for finding your problem

2002 Lightning Engine Light On

thanks...I'm trying get a number for John Ohmsby's shop where I'm told James works. Anybody have it?

(816) 213-5503
    You contact James directly on his cell phone number above..

Dana

got an email on this thread over the holidays even though no one has posted to it since June of 2011...weird
    ________
    99 White L (1 of 866)
    #1845 of 4000
    Performance:
    AirAid CAI
    FT Valve Body
    4x4 pan/filter
    PSP 4lb pulley
    Swanson Chip
    EBC Slotted and Dimpled Rotors with Kevlar pads QA1's
    Hotchis Springs/Bell Tech Shackles 1/2 drop
    Hotchis Swaybars
    Clear Corners (front)
    Astro Bed Lid
    Bed Rug
    Painted Center Caps
    Painted and Polished Stock Wheels
    Single Pod Boost Gauge
    Big A$$ Talon Sticker
    NLOC member #1075

Quote Originally Posted by 99WhiteBeast View Post
    got an email on this thread over the holidays even though no one has posted to it since June of 2011...weird
    Doug can better respond but I think it had something to do with the spam filter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mods:
    EBC Rotors w/Kevlar Pads,PSP air kit,Bedrug,Snuglid
    Wet Okole Seat Covers,Accufab TB,
    Stolen Pioneer Head Unit
    Focal Speakers,Pioneer Amp,Silverstars
    FMS 1/2 Drop Kit, HRE Wheels
    REM oil separator,Line Mod Valve
    1st dyno 372.1 hp 436.94 tq @90 degrees!!
    Performance Research Enhanced
    2002 #42 out of 4726
    Build Date 11/14/01
    SCT Xcal2,Valentine 1 Hard Wired
    M20 laser jammer,Herbs washers,Tinted Glass
    PR Big Mouth Quiet Exhaust, Hotchkiss Sway Bars
    Extreme Dynamat, C&L plenum & elbow, 4# pulley
    Electric Fan, Ported Supercharger

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph2117 View Post
    I'm a new member to Talon. I have a 2002 Lightning I bought new. Last 5 years or more I have added some minor go-fast mods such as using a hand held programmer to boost performance, a K&N cold air set-up, and a low-restriction exhaust. I have 87K on it...it's my daily driver. I will have it for life…I love my truck.

In the last 6-8 months, I got the "check engine light" coming on and staying lit. Took it to Ford when the light first went on....Ford says the code is related to the air mass flow sensor (O2 sensor I'm guessing) and couldn't get the light to stay off through a complete drive cycle. All other tests were good. Had someone else look at it...throwing two codes that 1) it is running lean at idle and 2) a vacuum leak. No leaks could be traced and the O2 sensors are fine. So now I can't pass TX DOT inspection. My sticker expires end of May. I need to find a competent tech/mechanic proficient in 2nd Gen Lightning’s in the north Texas area (near Flower Mound where I live would be nice). Can anyone out there help me?
    If you havent already delete the EGR valve mine kept throwing lean codes forever before i realized it was opening when it wasnt supopose to.(also makes plug change easier,not a problem for inspection),check vacum line behind block that tees off from pvc valve.clean mass air flow sensor with mass airflow sensor cleaner/spray,like 3 bucks @ orileys.If your runnin K+N the oil coats the sensor.Deff. delete the EGR valve(i replaced mine and the relay still kept opening/throwing lean code with new parts),get kit @ lightningforceperformance.com.,cap/plug off lines not needed after delete(also keeps engine oil /intake parts/especially intercooler cleaner).Still drive my DSG 2004 every day 126K and runs like a top.

Thanks for posting that up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mods:
    EBC Rotors w/Kevlar Pads,PSP air kit,Bedrug,Snuglid
    Wet Okole Seat Covers,Accufab TB,
    Stolen Pioneer Head Unit
    Focal Speakers,Pioneer Amp,Silverstars
    FMS 1/2 Drop Kit, HRE Wheels
    REM oil separator,Line Mod Valve
    1st dyno 372.1 hp 436.94 tq @90 degrees!!
    Performance Research Enhanced
    2002 #42 out of 4726
    Build Date 11/14/01
    SCT Xcal2,Valentine 1 Hard Wired
    M20 laser jammer,Herbs washers,Tinted Glass
    PR Big Mouth Quiet Exhaust, Hotchkiss Sway Bars
    Extreme Dynamat, C&L plenum & elbow, 4# pulley
    Electric Fan, Ported Supercharger

Thread Information