Thread: Tim Richmond

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar

Tim Richmond

Don't know if any of you watched 30/30 tonight but the Tim Richmond story was really sad and really scary for some of us that might have done similar things in the 80s.

Participating User
    I read about it, i think he was closet gay..
    David

Check out the movie/documentary called 'TOGETHER: The Hendrick Motorsports Story'. It is very good.

I watched it. Pretty good show, but I hadn't remember that he had died of AIDS. Perhaps that part was kept pretty quiet at the time?

TALON Supporting Member Mark #2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    I watched it. Pretty good show, but I hadn't remember that he had died of AIDS. Perhaps that part was kept pretty quiet at the time?
    Yes, it was kept very quiet, remember this was the 80s, and very little understanding and extreme paranoia. NASCAR knew it but kept it quiet to protect their image.

Remember Magic retired a decade later after protests from his fellow players.
    I thought it was interesting that Dale Sr, supported Tim to be allowed to race knowing Tim's condition, and in that time showed physical contact with him in that effort.

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark #2 View Post
    Yes, it was kept very quiet, remember this was the 80s, and very little understanding and extreme paranoia. NASCAR knew it but kept it quiet to protect their image.

Remember Magic retired a decade later after protests from his fellow players.
    I thought it was interesting that Dale Sr, supported Tim to be allowed to race knowing Tim's condition, and in that time showed physical contact with him in that effort.

Dale Sr, was a class act.. Rip

Quote Originally Posted by In2deep View Post
    Dale Sr, was a class act.. Rip
    Dale Sr. was a competitor to the core, and he respected those who felt the same way about racing. And Richmond fell into that group, along with Neil Bonnett and Cale Yarborough.

IMHO, NASCAR has never been the same since Dale was killed, and I don't follow it nearly as closely as I did when I could watch Dale.

Thread Information