Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shelbys suck

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar

Shelbys suck

Other than looking pretty and making blower whine, they are a waste of gas

Did I misunderstand, or did they say that the best that they could do in the 1/4 was 12.8? I don't believe that for a second.

I love the looks of the Shelbys.KR's are the top of the bunch.In a 1/4 mile i dont think a stock GT500 can get out of the 13's on a hot day. http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/...hp/photo/24223

Participating User
    damn...did he say 82K for the KR?...Come on i love Ford but seriously. Cant hang with a Z06..probaly not a stock 08' vette either.

Supposedly the 2010 Shelby GT500 is built off last years Shelby GT500KR.
    http://jalopnik.com/5199679/2010-she...00-first-drive
    Like the 2010 Ford Mustang GT, this new GT500 isn't an all-new car, but rather an extreme development of the previous platform. That old 2007 Shelby GT500 set the world alight with its 500 HP, 480 Lb-Ft 5.4-liter supercharged V8, offering an unprecedented level of straight line performance — running the quarter mile in the low 12-second range — for just $41,675. But it was a one trick pony, floating with dangerous imprecision around corners and offering very little feel on its way to spinning at the slightest provocation. Driving that car was an exercise in point and shoot: slam on the brakes, drive slowly around the corner, then stomp on the gas once the steering's pointed straight. According to both Ray and Ford representatives, I'm the only person in the world who actually liked its kill-you-at-the-slightest-mistake personality.

This 2010 model couldn't be any more different. Starting with the $79,995 2009 Shelby GT500KR, Ford's SVT engineering team set out to make a friendlier, faster package that could defy its muscle car roots and genuinely compete, in more than a straight line, with real super cars costing many times its $48,175 price tag. Compared to its predecessor, the new GT500 gains stiffer springs both front and rear along with firmer damping, intended to reduce roll in corners, dive under braking and squat under acceleration. New 19" wheels and bespoke Goodyear F1 Supercar tires boost grip. Revised aerodynamics mean downforce is up and drag is down. Thanks to a cold air intake and other tweaks, power and torque are up 40 HP and 30 Lb-Ft, respectively. Combined with a change in rear differential ratio from 3.31 to 3.55 and longer fifth and sixth gears, acceleration is improved from 4.6 to 4.3 seconds to 60 MPH and fuel economy on the highway is boosted 2 MPG to 22 MPG.
    Last edited by Sandman; 09-01-2009 at 10:15 PM.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    I have seen two Roush 427's in Dallas this week a white one and a 2010 blue one.

Quote Originally Posted by G'Lightning View Post
    damn...did he say 82K for the KR?...Come on i love Ford but seriously. Cant hang with a Z06..probaly not a stock 08' vette either.

Yep. When I bought my Taurus about a month ago there were 2 on the showroom floor. 82K!!
    95 - G1
    Blown, Stroked & Juiced

I saw a KR in Denton on the showroom floor for that price. They said it had been sitting there for ~6 months.

Thats awful for the money!! heck with some slicks on the Harley I could give a stock one a run for its money!

MM&FF got an 11.9 @ 120+mph out of a stock 2010, I believe. Granted, that was back in the northeast, I'm sure.

12.8s is a poor driver, I think... but that's just me. I have never driven a stock one, and I'd imagine with 150rwhp less, I wouldn't be happy with mine either.

I drove my brother's '09 CTS-V the other day. That's a SWEET car.

Oh... and there is a local dealer offering an '09 KR for $68k now... still way too much $$, but not close to the $82k some are talking about.

The Shelby is arguably the flagship of the Ford performance line and when weighed and measured finds itself wanting in both price and performance

Wes I know you have one of these in your stable and after the mod bug like most of your rides it is a respectable piece of Hot rod goodness but from the factory the Shelby name IMHO should warrant more performance

John,

I think comparing a 2-seat sports car to a 4-seat "pony" car is useless. The only reason they are testing these is b/c Ford decided to milk the public with the "KR" version, so the price is comparable to a Z06... but the '08 KR is slower than the standard '10 GT500 (of which a few, with just slicks bolted on are running high-11s bone stock).

Run a GT500 vs. a Camaro SS or Challenger SRT-8, which fully loaded all are in the same ballpark price-wise , especially given the latter two are being marked up over MSRP... and its a different game.

Everything "Shelby" has been watered down since the '60s. In my mind its a gimmick to get the average yahoo to consider buying the car, nothing more, but then again I'm not very nostalgic.

However, if I had to choose one car it would not be the one I would have in my garage, though. I'd choose my Z06, or a new Z06.

The KR is not built for driving. It is a limited production collector's car (500 units I think) for show guys. Anybody that buys one and puts a lot of miles on it is going to take a financial bath. It is a nice looking car though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpipes View Post
    The KR is not built for driving. It is a limited production collector's car (500 units I think) for show guys. Anybody that buys one and puts a lot of miles on it is going to take a financial bath. It is a nice looking car though.
    Copy that.I seen my buds gt 500 with tune,4 lb pulley,race gas/drag radials go down the track and ruin transmission,cluth problems with only a few passes/10k miles and some were in view of my tailgate.You can get a bunch more car for the money,not saying i dont love the looks and the shelby.As far as a racer forget it.Best Ford racer is the 03/04 Cobra,Terry can correct me if im wrong but 650+RWHP on a tuned pulleyed stock block can be a reliable dailey driver let alone a good racer.I think 03/04 was the best year for Ford with the Mustang and the Truck/ Lightning.
    Last edited by Beaudee; 09-25-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Participating User BC Lightning's Avatar
    GT500 with a 4.0L Whipple and built block

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V3nW...layer_embedded

Thread Information