Thread: Thoughts on new CTS-V and c6 Z06.

Thoughts on new CTS-V and c6 Z06.

I know they're two different animals altogether. But what do the fine folks of Talon say about either car? I know Terry's had some wheel time behind the Z06. Has anyone had the chance to drive a 2nd generation CTS-V('09 and newer)? From what I've read the owners are really happy about them, being a wicked mix between luxury and power.

Mika

Participating User BC Lightning's Avatar
    It all depends in what you want

Pat at Quality Motorsports has a CTS-V with heads, cam, long tubes, etc etc I prefer the CTS-V, its a sick car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I know they're two different animals altogether. But what do the fine folks of Talon say about either car? I know Terry's had some wheel time behind the Z06. Has anyone had the chance to drive a 2nd generation CTS-V('09 and newer)? From what I've read the owners are really happy about them, being a wicked mix between luxury and power.

Mika

Mika
    I would drive both but I bet the CTSV just rides a lot better and is more comfortable.. you will be able to use it more and will find that overall it is a better fit unless you intend to spend a lot of time on the track..
    Dana

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    The V is a wicked sedan and is cheaper than the vette. I lean towards comfort more in my old age...
    This video sold me.

That V is a damn nice car!

My brother has an '09 CTS-V with just pulley, tune and exhaust and it is making ~580rwhp through the cats, completely street-legal. It is a sweet car.

But so is the C6 Z06.

I think they are two completely different cars, but I'd take either in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Lightning View Post
    It all depends in what you want

Pat at Quality Motorsports has a CTS-V with heads, cam, long tubes, etc etc I prefer the CTS-V, its a sick car!!!
    I got a great daily driver as it sits, and I'll have it paid off in a year('09 G8 GT). I need 4 doors if/when we start to have kids, so it's either keep the G8 as a daily and then find a "gently pre-owned" C6 Z06(a man can dream, right?), or trade the G8 in(and take a beating) and pick up a CTS-V. Financially it makes the most sense to keep the G8, but we all know how that goes. I don't think I'll be going to MSR a whole lot, so even that way the CTS-V is a smarter choice.

Edit: Oh, and thank you all for your input.

Mika

I got a great daily driver as it sits, and I'll have it paid off in a year('09 G8 GT). I need 4 doors if/when we start to have kids, so it's either keep the G8 as a daily and then find a "gently pre-owned" C6 Z06(a man can dream, right?), or trade the G8 in(and take a beating) and pick up a CTS-V. Financially it makes the most sense to keep the G8, but we all know how that goes. I don't think I'll be going to MSR a whole lot, so even that way the CTS-V is a smarter choice.

Mika
    Hey Mika- how are you?- long time no post. I bought the wifey a G8 GT back in June and we love the car- Not quite the level of a Z06 or CTSV but for the money they can be modded fairly cheap.

Mika
    You can certainly find a "gently pre-owned" C6 Z06. Many Vette owners (even Z06 owners) do not beat on their cars. Most of them also take very good care of them, and the majority are not daily drivers. So you can easily find something with super-low miles, a garage queen that was driven on nice days only, and for a good price b/c the guy who is selling it is just moving up to a newer model quite often.

If you like your G8 GT, then get a Z06.

Quote Originally Posted by 99WhiteBeast View Post
    Hey Mika- how are you?- long time no post. I bought the wifey a G8 GT back in June and we love the car- Not quite the level of a Z06 or CTSV but for the money they can be modded fairly cheap.
    The G8's a fantastic car. It's my first GM product I've ever owned. I don't think it'll be my last either. No big mods on it though. Headers, X pipe, Roto-Fab CAI, and a cheater cam(stock stall). Fun, fun, fun. 11 mpg in city though is where I was in the Lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
    You can certainly find a "gently pre-owned" C6 Z06. Many Vette owners (even Z06 owners) do not beat on their cars. Most of them also take very good care of them, and the majority are not daily drivers. So you can easily find something with super-low miles, a garage queen that was driven on nice days only, and for a good price b/c the guy who is selling it is just moving up to a newer model quite often.

If you like your G8 GT, then get a Z06.
    I know that a lot of Vette owners are easy on their cars. I just know some folks who do track days at MSR who show the car and track no mercy as well. You are right though that deals can be had on Z06's. One thought that continues to run through my mind is that do I want to take on a note for a toy that I drive *maybe* 2 times a week? And I would fall into that category of not bringing the Vette out except during good weather.

Thanks again for all your guys advice and opinions.

Mika

TALON Supporting Member True Blue Aggie's Avatar

Thumbs up CTS-V for me...

Between the two.... It's going to be the V for me. 4 doors, able to haul kids to and from daycare, and solves my need for getting to places as fast as I can.

This is all predicated on getting the wife a new SUV within the next 12 months. But she has cleared the purchase already...so I got that going for me.

I would think that a CTSV doesnt catch the attention of the local police as much as a Vette.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by dboat View Post
    I would think that a CTSV doesnt catch the attention of the local police as much as a Vette.

Dana
    Great point man LOL!

well...if i had my choice, i'd get the z.

Thread Information