Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shelbys suck

Participating User
    Seen a 2010 GT 500 the other day. Damn that is a sexy car.

Stock '10 GT500 ... only mod is slicks. Here is the timeslip:

1.656/7.328/11.368/123.89 100% stock on slicks Napierville Dragway

So, I guess having the ability to bolt on some slicks and run low-11s is not very good. Granted, this is in really good air, but even in crappy air, its a high-11 second car with slicks, and a low-12 second car with stock tires.

Granted, the car is not cheap (can be had for low, mid-$40s brand new), but with the mod potential it is easy to make them go fast and do so very reliably. The motor will withstand more than the 4.6 Terminators. It's just a heavy car (so is the Challenger and Camaro) in comparison, but a significantly _better_ car with regards to build quality.

Well Wes yours is not stock, what will yours run then????

Dont tell me you still have not gone to the track at least once!

Quote Originally Posted by toddwarren View Post
    Well Wes yours is not stock, what will yours run then????

Dont tell me you still have not gone to the track at least once!
    I have absolutely no time to go to the track. Every weekend is booked til my kids get out of high school... I have come to that conclusion. The ones that are not officially booked; well, I like to take some time off and relax doing other things.

Right now is the beginning of club volleyball season. Once that's over, summer baseball will start.

I'm not complaining. I actually enjoy it a lot... just doesn't leave any time for the track right now.

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
    Stock '10 GT500 ... only mod is slicks. Here is the timeslip:

1.656/7.328/11.368/123.89 100% stock on slicks Napierville Dragway

So, I guess having the ability to bolt on some slicks and run low-11s is not very good. Granted, this is in really good air, but even in crappy air, its a high-11 second car with slicks, and a low-12 second car with stock tires.

Granted, the car is not cheap (can be had for low, mid-$40s brand new), but with the mod potential it is easy to make them go fast and do so very reliably. The motor will withstand more than the 4.6 Terminators. It's just a heavy car (so is the Challenger and Camaro) in comparison, but a significantly _better_ car with regards to build quality.
    Im confused

inst an 11.3 a low 11 ?
    Or maybe you mean it will never run it here

Ok, mid-11s. It's an 11.3, which is faster than 11.5-11.6 which is a mid-11 in my book.

I should have said, "I guess that running 11.3s is not very good..."

Sorry... I'm just frustrated b/c the weather stinks and I'm tired of driving a slow truck around

Repo your sons truck from him (LOL) Hey you can buy one of these G1s around here for sale, and rod it up and be back in the game.

Yeah there are some neat G1's, and my son's G2 will wipe the floor with my Ram QC.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    The 09's I drove felt like mid 13 sec cars in Texas. They felt exactly like a 6 spd "Lightning" car. The lethargic feel, handling and braking is embarrassing. Especially to have the name Shelby on it...

This reminds me of the stock 10 second C5 Z06 runs posted from Atco with below sea level AD's....

Now this is fast for under 40k...

Comparing a new, showroom stock car to anything that was a "previous year model" is completely unfair.

If you don't like the Shelby, then you also think the Challenger SRT-8 and new Camaro with the LS3 suck too. The Shelby will waste both of those cars, and is cheaper to mod to go fast.

To me, when I think of "Shelby" I think of the old '66 2-seater "Cobras".

So call it whatever you want... and yeah, I'm sure the car I posted was run at a good DA. It's in Canada.

TALON Supporting Member 98Cobra's Avatar
    Plus, the 2010 cars are supposed to be quite an improvement over the 09, from what I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Cobra View Post
    Plus, the 2010 cars are supposed to be quite an improvement over the 09, from what I have read.
    They are. 540hp (from the FRPP CAI and more aggressive tune) from the factory vs. 500hp. Plus since they utilize knock sensors, they can run a more aggressive timing/fuel map under more conditions, whereas on the '07-09, timing gets cut very quickly once temps rise. They also have more gear than the older cars. so its a win-win.

Making an '07-09 perform just like a '10 model is extremely simple and doesn't cost much at all. Granted, it would not be considered "bone stock" any longer, I understand that.

These cars in the hands of an average driver are running low-12s @ 117-118mph in all types of weather conditions. To give some perspective (since the GT500 is being compared to a 2-seater) ... my '02 Z06 ran 12.3 @ 116 stock (stock tires, too) and I paid $45k for it new back in Jan. '02.

I think this argument here would be a moot point if it were not for the "Shelby" name which has everyone's panties in a wad. honestly, I couldn't care less what they call it. It's the new version of the smash-hit, Terminator Cobra, and it responds exactly the same way, if not better, to modifications, while maintaining a far superior ride and build quality. And if anyone remembers those cars when they were stock; here in Texas you were lucky to run 13.0 @ 107mph in a bone stock Termie. A bone stock '07-09 GT500 will do that missing 2nd gear on the drive down the strip, and taking inflation into account, it costs the same as an '03-'04 Cobra...unless someone was foolish enough to pay a $10k premium over MSRP to have one of the first '07s out there.

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
    To give some perspective (since the GT500 is being compared to a 2-seater) ... my '02 Z06 ran 12.3 @ 116 stock (stock tires, too) and I paid $45k for it new back in Jan. '02.
    So a Z06 has nearly doubled in price since 02 ? ( current base MSRP $74,285)

Yep, it is a whole different car. In the C5 they just did, heads, cam, exhaust, wheels, scoops. to a stock C5. The new C6 Zo6 has the 427, brakes, wide body kit etc...

Thread Information