Thread: What I did during my summer vacation

Participating User

What I did during my summer vacation

I've had these parts sitting around a few years, so I decided to assemble the engine and put it in my '85 Chevy SWB. The small block that is currently in the truck has some serious issues and needs to be removed and rebuilt. I was originally going to install this engine in a '72 Chevy pickup that my Dad and I were working on before he passed away. He sold the truck when he got sick, so I had a spare big block.

It is a 427 big block chevy, bored .030 over, balanced rotating assembly with Keith Black pistons, 9.2:1 compression, .540 lift hyd. cam, Crane gold roller rocker arms, Merlin rectangular port heads with 2.30" int./1.88" exh. valves, Demon 750 carb, and Mallory Comp 9000 distributor.

It should wake up the old truck. I'm in the process of mocking up the accessories and pullies. I've got a power steering bracket on the way, so that should take care of it. I hope to install it in the next couple of weeks.

Participating User mustgofaster's Avatar
    Looks good!

very nice... wonder what those 1/4 mile times will be with this bad boy.

Dana

Participating User
    Nice..Should make for some really good numbers!
    Where did you ge that blue from?

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by nacklas View Post
    Nice..Should make for some really good numbers!
    Where did you ge that blue from?
    I picked up the intake used and it was already powdercoated. I'm not real crazy about the color since it does not match anything else on the truck, but I got it at a decent price. Originally, I was going to use a set of oval port heads that I have a brand new intake for, but I decided to use the Merlin heads instead and my only other square port intake is a Weiand Team G with a dominator flange (not good for street use). The flash from the camera really makes it shine, sort of like Sonic Blue. In normal light it's not that shiney.

I hope it makes good numbers. If the motor isn't enough alone, I gapped the top piston rings for a healthy shot of nitrous. After being away from competitve drag racing for ten years, I've got the bug again. I love dragging the Lightning but I don't want to put excessive miles on it plus the wear and tear of racing it every weekend.

Thread Information