Thread: First impressions of my new '09 GT500 'vert

First impressions of my new '09 GT500 'vert

I purchased my car about 3 weeks ago from a dealer in Houston ~240 miles away. They work closely with a performance shop near them (Autograf), and so I had some upgrades done ... all with the dealer service accounted for. I went with FRPP parts to try and maintain some semblence of warranty. I have a really good rapport with my local dealer (at least the service dept).

Engine / handling mods to the car are as follows:
    FRPP Supercharger kit w/ FRPP CAI
    FRPP Handling Pack
    FRPP shifter
    Magnaflow cat-back
    SCT tune
    Autograf UCA (not sure which brand they use)

Made 578rwhp with some heat soak in the engine @ 12.xx psi.

I flew in and drove the car home from the dealer. It was a beautiful day on Thursday, so I drove the entire way home with the top down. Almost all of it was highway miles, although I've put some miles on it today around town. I didn't push the car hard on the highway trip home, given that I was not familiar with it. Now that I've got some seat time in it, I have pushed it on some back roads where I live.

First thing I noticed was how high the pedal comes off the floor before the clutch begins to start engaging. This is just a comparison with my Vette which starts engaging basically as soon as you move your left foot at all. So I looked kind of silly leaving the dealership and at the first few stoplights... revving the motor (and going nowhere) as I was releasing the clutch, but yet the car wasn't moving. It's just going to take some getting used to (already have), especially going b/w the two cars on a consistent basis. I can see how the one in the GT500 would be great for guys who powershift. Just tap the clutch and it disengages without going close to the floor.

Second I can tell this is a heavy car compared to other Mustangs I've owned, and certainly the Z06. That's not a bad thing. Maybe I'm getting old, but I like the feel of it in a car this size. There is no twisting feeling, no torque steer under power, and it doesn't ride like a tin can (Fox-3/SN95) going over various undulations in the road. Honestly, it feels a lot like a sports sedan. I had a 300C SRT8 for awhile and while this car is certainly more nimble and more powerful, both cars feel really "solid." That's the best way I can put it.

Handling and ride are excellent. Ride quality is better than my Z06, and absolutely blows away the older Mustangs I've had. This is probably due to the extra weight of this car, but over rough surfaces/bumps, this car is more compliant. Handling is not as taut as the Z06, but I didn't expect it to be, given that it weighs 1000lbs more, not to mention the longer wheelbase. I do know that while some may think the FRPP Handling Pack is overkill for a street car, I would not be happy without it. I can't help it, but I'm used to a 3100lb 2-seater that pulls 1g. It still kills the Cobra and Saleen I had in the handling department, which is saying a lot given its heft.

Power... it is all there, but I didn't realize how high these cars are geared. 75mph or so in 2nd? Wow. I can see why some who drag race on slicks, put 3.73s+ in these cars. The car certainly is not as quick/fast as my Z06, but then again, I didn't expect it to be. Things do get really fun at the top of 2nd gear, though! Hit 3rd and the car just takes off. From a 3000rpm roll-on in 2nd (not sure the speed) it doesn't boil the tires, even with TC off. But it does pull really well. 1st gear just boils the tires, and then on the upshift into 2nd it just keeps spinning. I have done a couple 1st gear roll-ons and if I stay in it, it will just spin the tires all the way to 70mph. I think for my style of driving, Nitto DRs will do well for me, and with the gearing like it is, maybe I'll be able to stab it a little in 1st when the concrete is warm.

I don't know which UCA the shop installed, but there is _NO_ wheelhop with this car. I have done a number of rolling starts in 1st gear and it just plants the rear and goes. I haven't felt anything, and I have experience with wheelhop in other vehicles I've owned. I don't know if this is a combination of the FRPP Handling Pack and the UCA or what, but I'm extremely pleased to not be experiencing this common problem.

The FRPP shifter... great piece. The shifts are so, so short that it will also take me some getting used to when driving the car aggressively, but it is a very positive feel, although I have no way to compare it to a stocker.

Fit and finish of the car (interior speaking) is very, very good. I know the '10 gets more upgrades, but this is awfully nice. I'm smaller built (5'6"/150), and the seats fit me extremely well. Great support. Quality of the leather is nice. It's not German-nice, but its good enough for this hot-rodder. I want a driver's car, not a luxo-cruiser. I'm impressed with the convertible top, its open/close mechanism, and the fact there is no buffeting at speed that I can tell. I had it up to 100+ on the highway a couple of times, and in the down position the top is not fluttering around behind the rear seat. With the top up, it is insulated very well compared to older Mustang 'verts I've ridden in (never owned one). Again, just really well put-together, and I'm sure some of that has to do with the extra weight of the mechanicals... a fair trade-off. The only thing I really do not like is the fact the parking brake is on the driver's side of the console. I am sure there's a good engineering reason for it, but it's still dumb.

My car has the Shaker 1000 audio, and someone told me it was a must especially with a 'vert, and I agree. I'm very glad I got it. It's a great setup. No need for me to upgrade the audio in this car. Plenty of power, even if I'm sure better speakers and EQ would make it nicer for the audiophile type. But its good enough for me, and with the top down, you definitely need the added punch in order to hear music at an entertaining level.

Ambient lighting... ghey. I haven't shown it to my 11 yr old daughter yet. She may like it.

The exterior of the car is drop-dead, gorgeous. Red with the black stripes and black top is awesome. Most likely I'm going to get some black wheels when I upgrade those. Something like this: Griggs Racing GR40. I've got Fikse FM5's (not black) on my Z06 and love them.

Overall the car is extremely nice and a much more well-rounded vehicle than I expected it to be. Plenty of power for my intended purposes as a hot-rod cruiser (if I was drag- or road-racing it, I'd have gotten a coupe), looks awesome, sounds great (can easily hear the blower whine/shriek over the Magnaflows), handles very well, and has plenty of nice interior features. Just a very well laid out/thought out vehicle.

The Mustang has come a long way since I bought my first one back in '90.

Congrats looks like an awesome ride.

I put the 555RII on my Z0 and really like the tire a lot

Glad to hear that, John. Lots of people hammer on the Nittos, but for a dual-purpose tire, I think they are the best choice out there!

that car is really kind of a sleeper IMHO most would mistake it for a mere GT 500

I like it congrats again

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    Yeah, some will prolly think stock Shelbys are fast or something .

Quote Originally Posted by L8 APEX View Post
    Yeah, some will prolly think stock Shelbys are fast or something .
    LOL... I know you're not a fan, Terry.

It's a heavy car, no doubt, and in stock form the 3.31 gears are too tall for acceleration like we are all used to. They also sit up way too high stock.

I attempted to address all the "shortcomings" from the get-go. 140rwhp increase, improved stance, improved handling.

Once I get more seat time, I think it can be driven to be a pretty fast ride. Just gotta stay in 2nd gear from a 50mph punch. LOL

Thanks for hooking up with me today. Much appreciated.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    Thanks for waiting. As always you put the best package on the car. You are happy with it and still have the vette when you want superformance. Then there is the Lightning when I couch needs to be moved, lol. You have it all, it must be something with guys named Wes, lol

Congrats on a nice ride. You should write for Car and Driver or Autoweek

Participating User
    Very Nice Wes. Nice choice with the red and black. I wanna ride.

And I agree with Steve, you should write for a magazine. Great review.

Wes I have a buddy who has the Roush 427 and he put in new gears and man it really woke that car up! He has the stock Roush supercharger
    with a puley adjustment, but I am serious the gears make that car jump around like crazy. It is very fun to ride in.
    The new car looks good, very stylish, its nice you still have time to send messages to us old Harley and Lightning guys! (LOL)

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by 99WhiteBeast View Post
    Congrats on a nice ride. You should write for Car and Driver or Autoweek
    +1, great detail

Participating User joshc_guitar's Avatar
    das 1 sexy car
    <---2005 Mustang GT--->

Participating User joshc_guitar's Avatar
    Now that I've had my S197 for a while I can actually make a worthwhile comment. lol The FRPP short throw is way better than stock. I'm pretty sure its like 50% difference. I gotta agree on the ambient lightning tho. I've got a buddy with a gt500 and he just disabled his. Those cars are heavier than alot of cars out there but, they make up for it with power, they can hadle alot of HP too. Nice purchace, I'm jealous.
    <---2005 Mustang GT--->

Thread Information