Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Power company do you use ?

I just got my bill in a few days ago. The amount was comparable to a late summer bill. I use Dynowatt and it seems they have raised their price considerably since I enrolled in their program a couple years back. Would you fellas suggest going with TXU?

Tin Foil is my friend Wht95Lightning's Avatar
    I am with TXU and on the Flex Protect plan. Last month I used just under 1500kwh and paid 12.93 cents per kWh.

I've been trying really hard to conserve. Replaced all the light bulbs with low watt flourescents, keeping the ac set at 78 (which sucks) and not leaving lights on, doors open etc.
    Last year, July and August were over $500. I cannot afford that this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wht95Lightning View Post
    I am with TXU and on the Flex Protect plan. Last month I used just under 1500kwh and paid 12.93 cents per kWh.

I've been trying really hard to conserve. Replaced all the light bulbs with low watt flourescents, keeping the ac set at 78 (which sucks) and not leaving lights on, doors open etc.
    Last year, July and August were over $500. I cannot afford that this year.

Mine would probably be 500.00 too if I set my thermostat at 78*. Mine goes down to 77*-78* at night and 81* during the day.

TALON Supporting Member SILVER2000SVT's Avatar
    How do you sleep at night? I have mine go up to 80 during the day, 75 when I'm awake and down to 70 at night. It is recommended by medical professionals that the temperature in the room you sleep in should be between 60-65 for a good nights sleep. I can't justify setting it that low but I do get really hot and stay awake with anything above 70.

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER2000SVT View Post
    How do you sleep at night? I have mine go up to 80 during the day, 75 when I'm awake and down to 70 at night. It is recommended by medical professionals that the temperature in the room you sleep in should be between 60-65 for a good nights sleep. I can't justify setting it that low but I do get really hot and stay awake with anything above 70.
    Holy crap ..

If I set mine to 70 at night I would have icicles forming by morning

I guess it depends on the size of the house - height of ceilings etc, I would need to wear sweats in the house of it was 75 during the day - but then thanks to Rocks the ac blows out at about 60 degrees so you wouldnt want to be near the vents...

I guess those kinds of settings explain some of the bills you see people talking about

I discovered I was paying 17.4 per KWH. Accent energy just bought out Dynowatt. I just enrolled in their 2 year plan. I'll be paying 15.7 per KWH (Locked). The rep was telling me that I was paying 13.7 cent per KWH, but our primary energy provider can tack on as much as 5 cents per KWH which would explain why I was paying 17.4. My new rate is locked in at 15.7 which includes centerpoint/Reliant's cut.

TALON Supporting Member SILVER2000SVT's Avatar
    I think most people way over estimate the amount of electricity they use for AC. I like it colder than most and my home is extremly poorly insulated but even when you consider that If I take a worst case month of 100F temps I'm only using about 600kwhr extra of electricity versus not using any AC at all. That would lead me to believe that a well insulated modern home, with a high efficiency unit, and higher settings on the thermostat would never use more than 200-300kwhrs for cooling in the summer. Thats pretty small compared to the total electricity usage on most peoples bill every month.

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER2000SVT View Post
    I think most people way over estimate the amount of electricity they use for AC. I like it colder than most and my home is extremly poorly insulated but even when you consider that If I take a worst case month of 100F temps I'm only using about 600kwhr extra of electricity versus not using any AC at all. That would lead me to believe that a well insulated modern home, with a high efficiency unit, and higher settings on the thermostat would never use more than 200-300kwhrs for cooling in the summer. Thats pretty small compared to the total electricity usage on most peoples bill every month.
    Well to look at my bills the bill doubles to 3x in the summer
    Which suggests that its the AC that costs money
    I go from 700 kwh in the winter - Gas Heat - to up to 1600 in the summer
    So that means that 900 kwh of the usage is AC

Reliant says that For every degree below 78° F, your cooling costs may increase up to 5-7%. So going from 78 to 68 would increase your costs by 50%

Thread Information