Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Power company do you use ?

Webmaster - Torque Fan Silver_2000's Avatar

What Power company do you use ?

Are you on long term agreement or month to month ?

Do you pay extra to be " green "?

What do you pay per kw/h

About how many kw/h do you use a month ?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_2000 View Post
    What Power company do you use ?

What do you pay per kw/h

Just switched to Direct Energy
    12 month
    No
    13.3 ?

450 kw/h to 800 unless its July August or Sept ....then it ramps to a peak of about 1300

What do you pay per kw/h

Penelec.. but I wouldnt think you would really care..

But I live in Pa, where we dont get a choice.

Dana

Oh and fixed rate is really only fixed for the customer NOT the power company

Our Fixed Rate Plan protects you against month-to-month price fluctuations. If, for some reason, it were ever necessary to change the conditions of your Fixed Rate plan, you have our promise and guarantee that you will be given an entire 45-days advanced notice before any change, and you will be allowed to terminate your contract (if you so choose) without having to pay any early termination penalty. This is just one more way we are taking care of you, our valuable customer!

TALON Supporting Member SILVER2000SVT's Avatar
    I have never strayed from TXU and have always just used their regular plan. It was a little painful for a few months a while back when I was paying 15cents but now I pay about 12.5 cents/kwHr. After hearing all the horror stories from everybody I talked to about trying other companies I decided to stick it out with TXU. I still continue to hear about the crappy service with these other companies.

The "green" companies are a little bit of a scam because when they run out of what little bit of green power that is produced they simply buy from the other companies and charge you the higher rate. The other thing to keep in mind that the companies you actually send your check to are just billing companies not the actual companies that produce the power, at least this is my understanding.

1800 sqft 100% electric everything in a 25 year old house with single pane windows. I use as little as 1200kWHr if I don't use the AC and up to 2100kWHr in extreme heat and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER2000SVT View Post
    I have never strayed from TXU and have always just used their regular plan. It was a little painful for a few months a while back when I was paying 15cents but now I pay about 12.5 cents/kwHr. After hearing all the horror stories from everybody I talked to about trying other companies I decided to stick it out with TXU. I still continue to hear about the crappy service with these other companies.

The "green" companies are a little bit of a scam because when they run out of what little bit of green power that is produced they simply buy from the other companies and charge you the higher rate. The other thing to keep in mind that the companies you actually send your check to are just billing companies not the actual companies that produce the power, at least this is my understanding.

1800 sqft 100% electric everything in a 25 year old house with single pane windows. I use as little as 1200kWHr if I don't use the AC and up to 2100kWHr in extreme heat and cold.
    TXUs lowest published month to month rate is

500 kWh - 17.4¢ Average price per kilowatt hour
    1000 kWh - 16.5¢ Average price per kilowatt hour
    1500 kWh - 16.1¢ Average price per kilowatt hour
    2000 kWh - 15.9¢ Average price per kilowatt hour
    And TXU is just a billing company as well - Oncor makes the power and distributes it - They are totally separate now - though the parent company owns both
    Last edited by Silver_2000; 05-30-2008 at 11:51 AM.

TALON Supporting Member SILVER2000SVT's Avatar
    TXUs lowest published rate is
    Weird...

For the last 3-4 months I have paid under 13 cents, which includes all base fees and taxes.

Over the past year they have even given me a $50 credit on 4 different occasions and called it "customer appreciation credit". Those were on the 15 cent months and it helped bring it down to an effective 13+ cent rate.

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER2000SVT View Post
    Weird...

For the last 3-4 months I have paid under 13 cents, which includes all base fees and taxes.

Over the past year they have even given me a $50 credit on 4 different occasions and called it "customer appreciation credit". Those were on the 15 cent months and it helped bring it down to an effective 13+ cent rate.

Yep... same here.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    I have used the Power to choose.com website. Enter your zip code and they list available providers and rates. I renewed in April and it started going up. I should have renewed in March and would have saved a cent...
    Last year was Star Tex @ 12.3 cents, this year is River Valley or such @12.1 I do 12 month terms that match my lease. It looks like it is going up though.

Participating User mustgofaster's Avatar
    I try to be green, so it's Green Mountain Energy for me. I know that they have to purchase power from Oncor when they run out, but al least I'm trying & they are expanding their windfarms, so I like to think that I'm contributing in my small way. (Prolly about 0.0000001% in reality)

I'm about 1 1/2 years through a 2 year contract @ $0.13 per kw/h... I'm dreading the end of it, because electricity prices are moving right along with the gas.

I almost signed a 3 year contract for $0.118 per kw/h, but didn't want to be bound by a contract for so long... Now I wish that I would have done the 3 year.

I used 489 kw/h last month & my house is 1500 sqft... Of course summer is on the way, so my nice small electric bills are about to be a thing of the past.
    Lord,
    Grant me the serenity to accept the fact that I can't pass them all,
    The courage to pass most ...
    And the wisdom to hide the bodies of those who refuse to get the hell out of my way!!

Just switched to Direct Energy
    12 month
    No
    13.3 ?

450 kw/h to 800 unless its July August or Sept ....then it ramps to a peak of about 1300

i'm with them too.
    gary

I am currently in a 12-mo contract with Reliant at 11.9-cents per kWH. This started in March. The previous 12-months I used Amigo at 11.8-cents per kWH.
    In 2007 I used 10,255-kWH per year, with lowest month of 630-kWH and highest month 1630-kWH. House is 2,400-sf.

Quote Originally Posted by PUMP View Post
    I am currently in a 12-mo contract with Reliant at 11.9-cents per kWH. This started in March. The previous 12-months I used Amigo at 11.8-cents per kWH.
    In 2007 I used 10,255-kWH per year, with lowest month of 630-kWH and highest month 1630-kWH. House is 2,400-sf.
    I guess thats why I posted what I did. The prices are going up - there are no 12 cent rates available now ...

Stream Energy....8.5c kwh employee rate....woohooo

--wes

Thread Information