Thread: Wiper Problems

Leave my user title alone 03LightningRocks's Avatar

Wiper Problems

Anyone had a problem with the wipers coming on sporadicly? They work fine when they are turned on, but occasionally they will come on intermittently when turned off. No rhyme or reason to when they come on either. The dealer changed the multi-switch yesterday and it still does it.

Thanks for any input offered. I am about to go nuts on this truck....

Participating User
    Quote Originally Posted by 03LightningRocks View Post
    Anyone had a problem with the wipers coming on sporadicly? They work fine when they are turned on, but occasionally they will come on intermittently when turned off. No rhyme or reason to when they come on either. The dealer changed the multi-switch yesterday and it still does it.

Thanks for any input offered. I am about to go nuts on this truck....
    Not on the L I haven't, but I had an '01 F150 I recently sold that started doing that a couple years ago. I finally had to take it to the stealership to figure it out. Not sure what kind of relay(or something) it was they charged me for to replace, but it fixed my problem.

Hmmm...well they still have my truck. Fortunately the wipers acted up again right after they replaced the multi function switch so I didn't have to argue with them about paying for something that didn't need replaced. I don't know what they plan on doing. At first the damn thing refused to act up in front of them. Friday, it was doing it while I was in Mesquite so I went by town east ford and made them acknowledge it was acting up. Now the ball is in their court. I visualize the first step is going to be mechanic frustration. Then he will decide to work on it later. After sitting in the parking lot for a week, they will say to come pick it up. I can't let this happen. I don't want to be forced into driving the truck through the service department main offices.

Participating User
    Hmmm...well they still have my truck. Fortunately the wipers acted up again right after they replaced the multi function switch so I didn't have to argue with them about paying for something that didn't need replaced. I don't know what they plan on doing. At first the damn thing refused to act up in front of them. Friday, it was doing it while I was in Mesquite so I went by town east ford and made them acknowledge it was acting up. Now the ball is in their court. I visualize the first step is going to be mechanic frustration. Then he will decide to work on it later. After sitting in the parking lot for a week, they will say to come pick it up. I can't let this happen. I don't want to be forced into driving the truck through the service department main offices.
    Have you had an issue with the door ajar light staying on as well even when doors are closed? This was happening to my '01 at the same time that the wiper blade issue was happening. What ever the dealership did to it fixed the problem. I let all the paper work go with the truck, so can't look to see what part numbers it was that they put on there. I think I ended up getting pillaged for about 500 once all was said and done.

No other problems...so far. Just the "fantom" wipers. It comes and goes. It has been going on for about two years. It would stop doing it for months at a time and I would forget about it. Now it is happening with a weekly frequency. The sh!t enrages you. It is like a fricking torture on a long road trip. I darned near got out of my truck last week and ripped the wiper arm off. I took the fuse out once and it stopped. This worked great until I got caught in a rain storm. I had forgotten about the fuse and it started pouring. There I was, on the side of the freeway getting soaked, while trying to figure out which fricking hole to stick the fuse back into. Maybe I will just set the truck on fire.

We have had issues with the wipers. They don't come on at random times, but when we turn them on they don't always wipe at the same speed. It might do 3 quick wipes and then not again for several minutes. Also, our OD OFF light has a short in it and comes on regularly, but if we tap the arm it goes off.

gagspa...I actually saw a reference to that problem(they don't always wipe at the same speed) somewhere on the web. I have been to so many forums now, I can't remember where I saw it ...LOL. Type "wiper problems" into a google search. That was how I found it.

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar
    The GM's did this but it was due to a broken solder point on the wiper control board. I think Ford has a different system. The multi is usually a Ford fix all.. Unless it is the wires as they run through the column

Quote Originally Posted by L8 APEX View Post
    The GM's did this but it was due to a broken solder point on the wiper control board. I think Ford has a different system. The multi is usually a Ford fix all.. Unless it is the wires as they run through the column
    That is what I suspect it is. Problem is that auto mechanics these days have no ability to trouble shoot. Stupid fucers can't figure out how to open a bag of potato chips if the diagnostic machine doesn't tell them what to do first. I will probably just fix it myself.

Participating User
    ..... I will probably just fix it myself.
    ....... Maybe I will just set the truck on fire.

Participating User BC Lightning's Avatar
    I deleted my wipers and cover the windshield in rain-x, then again the L doesn't see rain

It was a chafed wire that ran through the cowl. So far it seems fixed. I told the stealership that if it happens again I will drive it through the wall of the service department. LOL...they thought I was joking.

Participating User
    It was a chafed wire that ran through the cowl. So far it seems fixed. I told the stealership that if it happens again I will drive it through the wall of the service department. LOL...they thought I was joking.

.......and we can videotape it happening and put it on youtube...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusSVT View Post
    .......and we can videotape it happening and put it on youtube...
    No...I wouldn't want to have it used as evidence at my trial.

Thread Information