Thread: Diesel vs gas

TALON Supporting Member L8 APEX's Avatar

Diesel vs gas

I did some fuzzy math to compare a gas F250 to a diesel F250. I know Rocks tosses the idea back a fourth now and then. I drive a bit over 30K miles a year I think most of us with real trucks do. I think a conservative average fuel economy on a diesel is 15mpg, their V10 Triton is known to average about 10mpg kind of like a Viper. On a 30K mile year the diesel consumes 2,000 gallons of fuel. The V10 consumes 3,000 gallons. If the fuels were both 2.75 a gallon average cost. The diesel would cost $5,500 a year to fuel. The gas V10 would cost $8,250 for that year. Gasoline would have to be over a dollar a gallon cheaper to cost the SAME as a diesel. Or about $1.67 a gallon. Now gasoline is about to go up over 3 gallons for the summer and diesel may be cheaper once again. So that diesel does save you money

True, assuming both trucks cost the same when you purchase them. Aren't the diesel trucks more expensive to buy?

Yeah the diesel is about 4 grand more than the V10. But it pays itself back pretty quickly these days. When you calculate towing mileage it is even more biased. The diesels drop to 11-12 mpg and the gas goes down to 6-7mpg if they are lucky.
    I just looked at the 2008 prices they are 6,900 for diesel and 600 for V10. Ouch. Of course plan pricing takes about 30% off that. The new diesels are in peril I don't see a good way for them to make the EPA and customers happy with the 07 regulations...

Leave my user title alone 03LightningRocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L8 APEX View Post
    Yeah the diesel is about 4 grand more than the V10. But it pays itself back pretty quickly these days. When you calculate towing mileage it is even more biased. The diesels drop to 11-12 mpg and the gas goes down to 6-7mpg if they are lucky.
    I just looked at the 2008 prices they are 6,900 for diesel and 600 for V10. Ouch. Of course plan pricing takes about 30% off that. The new diesels are in peril I don't see a good way for them to make the EPA and customers happy with the 07 regulations...

It sure looks like your correct on this one. A friend of mine has the V10 and he reports the milage to be almost exactly as you posted. He was so pissed about all the issues he had with his 05 diesel, he says he doesn't care how bad the milage is. It sure looks like we are about to have our turn with the cheaper fuel prices.

Yeah I filled up Saturday and it was 2.61 diesel 2.85 gas.

Thread Information