PDA

View Full Version : Talon Fall Classic

Sixpipes
10-11-2005, 11:06 AM
I am in the process of contacting Temple Academy Dragway (http://www.templeacademy.com/) and Thunder Valley (http://www.okthunder.com/) and will let you know what I find out. :cool:

True Blue Aggie
10-11-2005, 06:42 PM
So what's the word? Did you get a good response from either track?

SLVBOLT04
10-11-2005, 08:40 PM
So what's the response??

03LightningRocks
10-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Sixpipes just made that post this morning. I bet he hasn't heard back from them yet.

Rocks:beer:

mhays26
10-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Can I suggest the track in OK? At least for the Arkansas guys, it would be better. But its your event, I was just adding my .02

Matt

Sixpipes
10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
I sent emails to both tracks today. I will call Friday if I don't hear anything before then. I know Thunder Valley would be better for Oklahoma/Arkansas guys, but we'll see how it goes. :cool:

03LightningRocks
10-11-2005, 11:36 PM
I sent emails to both tracks today. I will call Friday if I don't hear anything before then. I know Thunder Valley would be better for Oklahoma/Arkansas guys, but we'll see how it goes. :cool:

LMAO...........for some damned reason, I had it in my mind that OK was further for the Arkansas crowd. I guess I was just thinking that all roads lead through Texas.

I guess I have to edit a post I made on the other thread.

Rocks:o

liteitup
10-12-2005, 09:42 AM
The Temple track recently reverted to it's previous owner for whatever that's worth.

Sixpipes
10-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I talked to Linda (Temple Academy) today regarding potentially hosting the TFC this year. They will run the TFC as a club event on top of their normal program. I do know that the Oldsmobile and Buick Clubs are showing up on December 3. I really think we should move the venue this year and the Temple track would be more convenient for Austin/San Antonio, College Station, and Houston area. We could promote it more as a Texas shootout hosted by our club.

I still want to do an event at Thunder Valley, but I would rather work with the Oklahoma and Arkansas guys on a spring date and try to promote that as a 1st event of the year type deal. What do you think? :cool:

03LightningRocks
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Sounds like a heck of a good idea...:tu: . The only item that might be a little bit of an issue, would be doing our event on the same date as the GM crowd. Could make for a very crowded track.

The rest sounds great....:bows .

Rocksknana

Sixpipes
10-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a heck of a good idea...:tu: . The only item that might be a little bit of an issue, would be doing our event on the same date as the GM crowd. Could make for a very crowded track.

The rest sounds great....:bows .

Rocksknana
The track is scheduled to be closed on the 10th, but it was offered. I kind of like the idea of running some GM stuff during test and tune before the event. I always enjoyed running the Vettes at Hallsville. :D

03LightningRocks
10-19-2005, 05:00 PM
The track is scheduled to be closed on the 10th, but it was offered. I kind of like the idea of running some GM stuff during test and tune before the event. I always enjoyed running the Vettes at Hallsville. :D

Don't get me wrong here. It really wasn't that I have a problem running whoever. I was concerned with large crowd cutting into available track time. It might not be a problem anyway...I was just tossing something in the ring to consider. It really isn't a deal breaker for me. I'll be there either way...:beer: .

Rocks

True Blue Aggie
10-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Is there anything we can do to help? Phone calls, planning, anything?

SLVBOLT04
10-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Don't get me wrong here. It really wasn't that I have a problem running whoever. I was concerned with large crowd cutting into available track time. It might not be a problem anyway...I was just tossing something in the ring to consider. It really isn't a deal breaker for me. I'll be there either way...:beer: .

Rocks

Yeah same here about the large crowd cutting into track times. The 10th would be perfect. It would be like a Texas Lightning Shootout.

02BOLT
10-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Just to clarify...the track is SCEDULED to be closed on the 10th, but they are offering that date? If that's the case, then that sounds cool. I like beating up on my GM brethren as much as the next guy, but if we could get the track to ourselves, it seems like that would probably be better in terms of more track time, and less time sitting in the staging lanes. Also, it may give us the option of more or less organizing the agenda for the day, rather than having to abide by someone elses....just a thought...

Blue Oval Forever
10-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Sixpipes

When you know something more and get it set in stone can you post it over in the LOLA section on the NLOC Board as i will try to get some of my Friends fron the New Orleans area to go as we missed L-Fest and are looking for something to do.If you have an idea of a date let me know as i have to fix my truck so that i will be able to go so i am woundering how much time i have to get it fixed

Bobby

03LightningRocks
10-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Sixpipes

When you know something more and get it set in stone can you post it over in the LOLA section on the NLOC Board as i will try to get some of my Friends fron the New Orleans area to go as we missed L-Fest and are looking for something to do.If you have an idea of a date let me know as i have to fix my truck so that i will be able to go so i am woundering how much time i have to get it fixed

Bobby

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent news. It will be kewl to have some of the LOLA gang in attendance.

:beer:

Sixpipes
10-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Sounds like the December 10, would be better for most folks. I will confirm with the track and get this going. :cool:

Sixpipes
10-22-2005, 10:18 AM
OK. Talked to the track this morning and here's the deal. If we do December 10th, we have to pay for the track and our event is not large enough to do that right now. We can have the event on Saturday December 3rd and use the 10th as a rainout date. Linda says the Oldsmobile/Buick Club event usually has about 30 cars there and the track would be willing to run our event at no charge if we provide the trophies (basically the same deal as Hallsville).

I expressed my concern about not having enough test and tune time for guys before the event, but she assured me that we would get all the runs we wanted before the event starts. Gates open at 2PM with test and tune starting at 3PM. Racing starts at 7PM. Fees are $8 for spectators and $20 for test and tune. An additional $15 will get you into the Fall Classic race program. Format to be confirmed, but I am thinking the standard bracket racing format with first round buy-back of $10 works for me. So the total to race would be $35 plus an additional $10 if you buy back in after a 1st round loss. What say ye? :cool:

Alpine
10-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Sounds good to me Dennis, I'm in.knana

03LightningRocks
10-22-2005, 12:51 PM
So how much to rent the track????:cool:

Rocks

gagspa
10-22-2005, 04:02 PM
A bit off topic, but why not at Hallsville?

Silver_2000
10-22-2005, 04:10 PM
A bit off topic, but why not at Hallsville?

Read the other threads about the fall classic - it appears that hallsville closed - maybe related to shooting that occurred there

Doug

03LightningRocks
10-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Snip............ maybe related to shooting that occurred there

Doug

I just found the story. Wow, I remember guys betting 400-500 dollars out there during a test and tune I was at. They even announced the bet on the speaker system. This one appears to be over 50 bucks. That is crazy...shooting at people over 50 Bucks. Fricking retards.

P.S. Maybe we could merge the threads on the Fall Classic.

Folks may miss info with it being all over hell and back....;) .

Rocks

Blue Oval Forever
10-23-2005, 11:50 PM
OK. Talked to the track this morning and here's the deal. If we do December 10th, we have to pay for the track and our event is not large enough to do that right now. We can have the event on Saturday December 3rd and use the 10th as a rainout date. Linda says the Oldsmobile/Buick Club event usually has about 30 cars there and the track would be willing to run our event at no charge if we provide the trophies (basically the same deal as Hallsville).

I expressed my concern about not having enough test and tune time for guys before the event, but she assured me that we would get all the runs we wanted before the event starts. Gates open at 2PM with test and tune starting at 3PM. Racing starts at 7PM. Fees are $8 for spectators and $20 for test and tune. An additional $15 will get you into the Fall Classic race program. Format to be confirmed, but I am thinking the standard bracket racing format with first round buy-back of $10 works for me. So the total to race would be $35 plus an additional $10 if you buy back in after a 1st round loss. What say ye? :cool:

OK this all sounds good to me what track are you looking to hold this event at let me know and i will start plan with the LOLA gang and see how may truck i can get there

Bobby

mhays26
10-24-2005, 01:08 PM
I sure hope I can get the truck going by then. And after that, I hope I can get off work.

99WhiteBeast
10-24-2005, 09:27 PM

Did I miss something- which track? Either way I'm in for the 3rd or 10th....110/220 whatever it takes:tongue:

Sixpipes
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
So how much to rent the track????:cool:

Rocks

Dennis

The cost of the track is $2500.00 for the day (December 10), let me know something.

Thank You
Linda

Sixpipes
10-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Did I miss something- which track? Either way I'm in for the 3rd or 10th....110/220 whatever it takes:tongue:

Steve,

This is the track we are talking about. (http://www.templeacademy.com/)

True Blue Aggie
10-24-2005, 09:55 PM
So it looks like Dec. 3rd will work for everyone, right? :eek2:

02BOLT
10-24-2005, 10:02 PM
I just found out today that my company Christmas party(which is a BIG shindig that I HAVE to attend) is on the 10th. So the 3rd is looking better and better all the time...:cool:

03LightningRocks
10-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Geeze....I was hoping the track would be about half that amount, since it is out so far. That seems to be the going rate at quite a few tracks.

Anyway.....your right, we aren't at that level ....yet...;) .

Sounds like it's going to be on the third...

Rocks:tu:

Actually...if 30 of us pay 85 bucks each.....we could do this. I was part of a track rental group in Atlanta. It was pretty cool to have a track to ourselves for a whole day.

SLVBOLT04
10-25-2005, 11:40 AM
I'll be willing to pay 85 bucks. Having the whole track to ourselves for one day would be awesome. Lets see how many others could pitch in!!!

03LightningRocks
10-25-2005, 12:15 PM
I'll be willing to pay 85 bucks. Having the whole track to ourselves for one day would be awesome. Lets see how many others could pitch in!!!

knana knana knana That makes two of us. Only need 28 more. I think of it as only 40 bucks more than we are already going to have to pay. 40 bucks is not alot to pay so we can claim the track in the name of Talon.

tiffo60
10-25-2005, 01:04 PM
count me in

PUMP
10-25-2005, 02:05 PM
I am in as well. Except for the wind, I had a blast on Sunday and it would have been worth another $40 to get in 3 or four more runs.:D

bluesvt
10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Id say go ahead and count me in. :beer:

wesman
10-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I'd be in for $85 if we get it to ourselves. I'll be in China on the 3rd, so the 10 th is better for me anyway. Now I just need to get a working transmission :)

--wes

03LightningRocks
10-26-2005, 07:41 PM
That's 6. How about a poll? I want to hear from folks that are going as a whole.

So far we have 6 confirms on 85 bucks. No other confirms on even going???? Does thius mean only 6 plan to go? We are in trouble on this event if only 6 or 8 guys plan to show up:confused: .

Maybe folks aren't seeing the thread:confused: .

Rocks

wesman
10-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Perhaps we should send a link to the other clubs...Houston, OK, AK,LA etc.

--wes

G'Lightning
10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Im in for the $85........:beer:

Mark #2
10-26-2005, 08:00 PM
That's 6. How about a poll? I want to hear from folks that are going as a whole.

So far we have 6 confirms on 85 bucks. No other confirms on even going???? Does thius mean only 6 plan to go? We are in trouble on this event if only 6 or 8 guys plan to show up:confused: .

Maybe folks aren't seeing the thread:confused: .

Rocks

The issue is that we are talking two different dates at two different costs.
Some can make it on one date and others can make it on the other. I don't think it is a cost issue for most. IMHO.
$40 is a case of beer/lap dance or two.
We need to pick a date when most can attend, again IMHO.
Mark

03LightningRocks
10-26-2005, 08:03 PM
We may be onto something here Dennis...........Let's put it to a poll/vote...or something.

If there are going to be more than 30 attending, the costs would be even lower..........:banana: :banana: :banana: .

Rocks:D

03LightningRocks
10-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Some can make it on one date and others can make it on the other. I don't think it is a cost issue for most. IMHO.
Mark

Not many have even responded to the date issue. Either date will have folks that can or can't make it. We just need some voices on this issue either way.

The poll could be an answer to either question. It is real simple.... December third at 45 bucks and 3 passes each. December 10th at 85 bucks at the all you can eat buffet.

Rocks

G'Lightning
10-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Mark Thats a good point on the date Mark. Didnt actually think about that...but ill be in either way.- Gary

G'Lightning
10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
December third at 45 bucks and 3 passes each. December 10th at 85 bucks at the all you can eat buffet.

Rocks MMMmmmm....Buffet.:d

Mark #2
10-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Not many have even responded to the date issue. Either date will have folks that can or can't make it. We just need some voices on this issue either way.

The poll could be an answer to either question. It is real simple.... December third at 45 bucks and 3 passes each. December 10th at 85 bucks at the all you can eat buffet.

Rocks

Ron,
I agree totally, time for a poll and links to other sites.
Mark

03LightningRocks
10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Ron,
I agree totally, time for a poll and links to other sites.
Mark

Temple may even help us get some of the Halo guys involved. We should hit the Halo, Arkansas, Loiusiana and Oklahoma sights at the least.

Like I said before...if we get enough folks, the costs may even be less than 85. Heck...it could end up costing the same as a day with the GM crowd.

Maybe the question in the poll should be worded to mention the price could vary depending on interest in the track rental option.
Now we just need Dennis to agree to the poll....;) .

True Blue Aggie
10-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Ron wants a pole....Ron wants a pole....Give Ron a pole...

wesman
10-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Temple may even help us get some of the Halo guys involved. We should hit the Halo, Arkansas, Loiusiana and Oklahoma sights at the least.

lol....great idea....anyone hear an echo in here ?

Perhaps we should send a link to the other clubs...Houston, OK, AK,LA etc.
--wes

--wes

03LightningRocks
10-26-2005, 11:21 PM
lol....great idea....anyone hear an echo in here ?

--wes

Yeah...well...I said it different...:cool: .

wesman
10-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah...well...I said it different...:cool: .

True...yours was more of a :ron: :cool:

BTW-Did you ever sell those floor mats? I was looking through old posts/PM's and notice I never got with you on those at the track.

--wes

Sixpipes
10-27-2005, 12:00 AM
I think $2,500 is too much to pay for a facility that we haven't even checked out yet. I think it is best to make it affordable for most people and just share the track with whoever is there. Reality is we haven't ever had more than 20 racers at a cost of $35/$40 each so that is a pretty good stretch to get to $2,500. I say we go with December 3 and start promoting the date to all of the Lightning owners in the area. :cool:

L8 APEX
10-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Also with the drive or trailering it will be a hundred bucks in gas to get there these days.

SpeedyBolt
10-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Is Temple really that much further for you guy's? It seemed Like Hallsville was on the other side of the Earth. I'm all about it, it is a sh!t load closer for me and I know that there are a few L's around Waco that plan to come to this if it is at Temple.

It's a pretty nice track, for those who have never been, Lot's of up close race watching. the shut down area isn't very big and the parking spots would be a premium so we would need to get there early.

So, is Dec.3 the day we are going with? I'll post it on some local Waco boards if so...

wesman
10-27-2005, 11:56 AM
No, I'm not sure where they are getting this from. Temple is actually a bit closer than Hallsville is, and the drive is much better, at least there's something besides trees to look at. This is especially true for the Tarrant County folks, Hallsville is about a half hour further than Temple is from us.

--wes

02BOLT
10-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Yeah Temple's no further than Halllsville, and is a pretty quick track. It has a lot of "personality". I've always enjoyed going there. Unless you're trapping well in excess of 125 mph, or you have really bad brakes, then the shutdown area should be more than sufficient.

The parking area is a bit dusty, but no worse than Hallsville. If it's still managed and prepped the way it used to be, then it should be a good time. Plus, they're an IHRA sanctioned track(at least they used to be), so the mid to high 11 second guys shouldn't catch any grief for not having a cage....

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah Temple's no further than Halllsville, and is a pretty quick track. It has a lot of "personality". I've always enjoyed going there. Unless you're trapping well in excess of 125 mph, or you have really bad brakes, then the shutdown area should be more than sufficient.

The parking area is a bit dusty, but no worse than Hallsville. If it's still managed and prepped the way it used to be, then it should be a good time. Plus, they're an IHRA sanctioned track(at least they used to be), so the mid to high 11 second guys shouldn't catch any grief for not having a cage....

NHRA allows mid to high elevens also....are you getting old Rob? Your the one who told me about the new rules this past January.

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
True...yours was more of a :ron: :cool:

BTW-Did you ever sell those floor mats? I was looking through old posts/PM's and notice I never got with you on those at the track.

--wes

I have to throw the flag on ya Wes....for improper use of the :ron: smiley.

A :ron: must include a "back in the day" story....:rll: .

The floor mats......cripes, I haven't thought about them for a long time. I will try to find them...if I didn't give them away or something. Terry acted like such a dick about them, I might have thrown them out in shame;) .
I will let ya know if I find them.

Rocks

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
So what would you folks think of getting Hallsville opened for a day of racing?

If this could be accomplished, I would rather be at Hallsville than this "street track" in Temple.

It is a serious question..........if Hallsville where to become available....would we be going there?

:confused:

Mark #2
10-27-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm guessing it looked a little scary to you too.;)
Track prep looked really good though on the videos I watched.
I say let's give it a try, I trust Rob's comments.

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm guessing it looked a little scary to you too.;)
Track prep looked really good though on the videos I watched.
I say let's give it a try, I trust Rob's comments.

What's happening here Mark, is folks are not coming right out and saying what they think.

So I will start...that track is reminding me of yellow belly. I really have no desire to run down a track that has sh!t for stopping distance. The zig here...and zig there...to wind up on a two lane highway is not giving me warm fuzzies. The idea that parking is at a premium and I could end up parking across the street, just puts icing on the cake.

The question I asked is not hypothetical....

Now...my question this evening concerns going to a better track. I have received a correspondence indicating that we might be able to get Hallsville open for our event. It is not a sure thing yet...but I...like Wes would rather be at a known safe facility if given the choice.

Temple is fine if there is no other option. But at this point...there very well may be an option for Hallsville.

Rocks

Mark #2
10-27-2005, 08:36 PM
What's happening here Mark, is folks are not coming right out and saying what they think.

So I will start...that track is reminding me of yellow belly. I really have no desire to run down a track that has sh!t for stopping distance. The zig here...and zig there...to wind up on a two lane highway is not giving me warm fuzzies. The idea that parking is at a premium and I could end up parking across the street, just puts icing on the cake.

The question I asked is not hypothetical....

Now...my question this evening concerns going to a better track. I have received a correspondence indicating that we might be able to get Hallsville open for our event. It is not a sure thing yet...but I...like Wes would rather be at a known safe facility if given the choice.

Temple is fine if there is no other option. But at this point...there very well may be an option for Hallsville.

Rocks

I totally agree with your comments, it looks scary to me too.
I would much rather race at Hallsville if that is a possibility.
Are you going on Sunday to Redline?

L8 APEX
10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
With Hallsville being closed for the months leading up to the Fall Classic. I am worried track conditions and rubber may be totally gone! Another thing is if Temple doesn't start until 2-3pm. The track will start getting slick as the evening cools down.

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I totally agree with your comments, it looks scary to me too.
I would much rather race at Hallsville if that is a possibility.
Are you going on Sunday to Redline?

Right now it doesn't look good for Redline. It is a maybe for me.

On this other topic....I believe I will chase up the lead I have on Hallsville.

Rocks

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 09:04 PM
With Hallsville being closed for the months leading up to the Fall Classic. I am worried track conditions and rubber may be totally gone! Another thing is if Temple doesn't start until 2-3pm. The track will start getting slick as the evening cools down.

OK...so track prep at either track worries you....;) . Let's see if the Hallsville option is even going to be on the table....like I said in my post to Mark, I will see what comes of the info I have received tonight.

Mark #2
10-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Right now it doesn't look good for Redline. It is a maybe for me.

On this other topic....I believe I will chase up the lead I have on Hallsville.

Rocks

Regarding Redline, I'll pulley up to a 3.0 if you pulley down to 3.5, should be close with your lower versus mine.
Mark

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Regarding Redline, I'll pulley up to a 3.0 if you pulley down to 3.5, should be close with your lower versus mine.
Mark

LOL..........My motor might ingest itself with that low of a boost.....:eek:

Mark #2
10-27-2005, 09:15 PM
LOL..........My motor might ingest itself with that low of a boost.....:eek:

Ron,
My calculations show that you should be at 18psi on that combo, and you run the best on a 3.0.
So you won't run me with you having a 1.0" larger lower, you want the same size upper with me a smaller lower?
Sounds like a bad pinks show to me.
Mark

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Ron,
My calculations show that you should be at 18psi on that combo, and you run the best on a 3.0..so?
Mark

Your calculations are close...but you need to take my ported heads and intake. My 3.25 gives me just under 17...so i am thinking I would be around 15 with the 3.5.

I haven't run this combo on this motor yet...so it is a guess. You have me wanting to experiment now...LOL.

Mark #2
10-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Your calculations are close...but you need to take my ported heads and intake. My 3.25 gives me just under 17...so i am thinking I would be around 15 with the 3.5.

I haven't run this combo on this motor yet...so it is a guess. You have me wanting to experiment now...LOL.

All in fun, I edited my post, but work the Hallsville connection.
Later.
Mark

Sixpipes
10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
OK. So I'll check again on availability of Thunder Valley (Noble, OK).

Mark #2
10-27-2005, 09:39 PM

Looked scary to you too?

L8 APEX
10-27-2005, 09:45 PM

Ported heads and increased valve overlap and reduced lobe seperation in the cams. This combo flows a LOT more air, a stock motor stacks boost in the intake as it has nowhere to go with the sucky stock heads and conservative cams. My built motor ran 2-3 lbs under a stock motor on the same pulleys due to flow efficiency.

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 09:47 PM

It's about the same distance...why not? I keep watching that vid and shaking my head at that stopping distance. I will need new brakes after running out there...LOL.

Rocks:bows

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Ported heads and increased valve overlap and reduced lobe seperation in the cams. This combo flows a LOT more air, a stock motor stacks boost in the intake as it has nowhere to go with the sucky stock heads and conservative cams. My built motor ran 2-3 lbs under a stock motor on the same pulleys due to flow efficiency.

That was my point Terry. Are you into redundancy tonight or did you take a "state the obvious" pill. Go back to your Crown....:D .

Sixpipes
10-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Looked scary to you too?

Just concerned about a scenario where I am in my 15+ second Gen I and Rocks is bearing down on me at the finish with a closing speed in excess of 30 mph more than I'm traveling... Just a safety concern is all. Dark track in close proximity with a faster vehicle coupled with a short run-off area etc... :cool:

True Blue Aggie
10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Damn it....I lost my post. Trying to remember what I said....

Rocks, you want to go to a track that has not had any competition in two months, and will not have anyone on it for another 6 weeks (assuming we are there on the 3rd). This is the same track that you lost to me last year because of......(wait for it)....Loss of Traction.

Hallsville sucks, plain and simple. Parking sucks, launch pad sucks, the crew that runs it (or ran it) sucks.

Temple has enough shutdown area, parking, and good traction guaranteed. I agree that whereever we go, the management has to understand that we want a good surface that sticks, and is kept up throughout the day. No bullshit to deal with, or we will want our money back from them. They have insurance to pay for, but so do we and that is a fair request to be made before we race on their track.

The group is looking for a good track to possibly setup a yearly meet for the Texas group of L owners, and this track would bend over backwards to make certain that this event happens there everytime.

10 times out of 10 I would rather go to Temple than Hallsville. I think that if people have questions about the track, lets take a scouting trip down there and check it out. They even have a Big Money race on the 13th of November, along with racing the entire month of November.

off my soapbox for the night....:beer:

02BOLT
10-27-2005, 10:32 PM
NHRA allows mid to high elevens also....are you getting old Rob? Your the one who told me about the new rules this past January.

No sir, I'm aware that NHRA had revised the 11.99/roll bar rule, but was unsure as to how different tracks may interpret it. I was merely suggesting that, at an IHRA track it should be a non-issue.;)

I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader for Temple, but I will say that this "room to stop" thing is getting a little blown out of proportion. I have been to this track many times and seen cars and trucks faster than any in this club stop with no drama whatsoever. I realize my Mustang was lighter than our L's, but if you know anything about Fox-bodies, you know that their little 11" brakes SUCK, and I had no problems hauling her down from 118-120mph on front-runners time and time again.

I'd put Temple up against Hallsville any day of the week in terms of safety or quality. It's no Ennis or KCIR, but it's not THAT bad either.

The things Temple has working against it in my mind are (1)the late start time(which makes for a looong day), and (2)the unknowns in reference to number of folks relative to number of available time trials. In terms of parking, it's like any place else......get there early and park up close;.....get there late and you get to walk a bit more between your truck and the track. Once again, it's not THAT bad.

I don't really care where we go, I just wanted to give an account from someone who's raced there many times. If we decide on somewhere else, that's cool. Just thought I'd give my .02:cool:

Also...I hope ya'll decide on the 3rd, wherever it is, because I'd really like to go, but if the 10th works best for the majority then I'll sure understand.:tu:

PUMP
10-27-2005, 10:36 PM
:confused: This thread has become so garbled that, if anyone can figure it out we need to nominate them for Mensa membership. At anyrate, I am just like a new religious convert, I cann't get enough. I am in for whatever, Dec 3 or Dec 10, short track / longtrack, sticky or slick, Temple - Hallsville - Thunder Valley, $45/$85+tax, title, and fees. As far as a poll - If I haven't got it covered above, then wake me up and I'll vote again.
In other words, I'm in for the whole enchilada.

And I plan on being at Redline this Sunday,:burnout: weather permitting.

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
LOL................wow.....OK...so I guess I will bag the Hallsville idea. I am pretty sure Dennis said the 3rd was the date. He also mentioned checking Thunder Valley...since it is about the same distance as TAD.

Rob...Yes you did....:D .

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6880

02BOLT
10-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Rob...Yes you did....:D .

I wasn't disputung having told you about the "new" rule. I remember the conversation well, because I was teee-oed due to all the grief I'd caught from the Ennis staff just a few months earlier.;) The "No sir" was in reference to the "getting old" part. Just in denial I reckon.:d

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 11:09 PM
:confused: This thread has become so garbled that, if anyone can figure it out we need to nominate them for Mensa membership. At anyrate, I am just like a new religious convert, I cann't get enough. I am in for whatever, Dec 3 or Dec 10, short track / longtrack, sticky or slick, Temple - Hallsville - Thunder Valley, $45/$85+tax, title, and fees. As far as a poll - If I haven't got it covered above, then wake me up and I'll vote again.
In other words, I'm in for the whole enchilada.

And I plan on being at Redline this Sunday,:burnout: weather permitting.

Sounds to me like you have it down......:d . I would like to nominate YOU for Mensa membership. By the way...wth is Mensa???:confused:

03LightningRocks
10-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I wasn't disputung having told you about the "new" rule. I remember the conversation well, because I was teee-oed due to all the grief I'd caught from the Ennis staff just a few months earlier.;) The "No sir" was in reference to the "getting old" part. Just in denial I reckon.:d

Yep, your in denial. You will catch up to me before you know it. I locked in at 38. It was a complex legal manuever...but it worked and was well worth the money.

Rocks....... 38 and holding...;)

LivinEZ
10-27-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm in for 85

03LightningRocks
10-28-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm in for 85

LOL.....I told you it was about to get out of control...;) .

Seriously though...Dennis put the old kibosch on the track rental suggestion. He is probably right....we most likely would end up short on enough to get the rental anyway. When I first brought it up, I was half way kidding. It started growing and became real after that. It is fun to rent the track...but expensive as hell.

my2002lightning
10-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Funny you should ask, Uncle Rocks: http://www.mensa.org/index0.php

I'm working on getting the :ron: over there, too.:d

I'll try to attend.

By the way...wth is Mensa???:confused:

tliss
10-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Funny you should ask, Uncle Rocks: http://www.mensa.org/index0.php

I'm working on getting the :ron: over there, too.:d

I'll try to attend.

Mensa always makes me laugh every time I hear it. If those folks are so smart, how come their name translated from Spanish means "dumb ass"? :rll:

As far as the track rental idea, you all know that everyone in this group is willing to pony up the dough until it comes time to pay up...then the excuses start rolling out. I'll be up front and honest in saying if I've got to shell out $80-100 for this event on top of the long ass drive and race fuel, I won't be coming. And I think I speak the same as most guys regarding this event. I'm not that big into my racing that I'll blow that much for a day of fun with the guys. Dennis is on the right track by trying to find a track that'll do it cost free...that'll keep the cost down for all attendees and will likely boost attendance. $80-100 for racing in an event that doesn't have a payout is not going to attract any racers from other areas, either...

Go Sixamapipes! We appreciate your efforts here!

Tom

02BOLT
10-28-2005, 08:15 AM
One other point on the track rental that I think is being overlooked. Guys are saying it's only $45 bucks more to rent the track. However, they're not taking into consideration that the $85 bucks to rent the track does not cover the price to run in the "Talon Fall Classic". Once you figure gas and food expenses for the day you're talking about a pretty good load of cash. Don't get me wrong, having the track to ourselves would be badass, but once it comes to the nutcuttin', guys will start dropping out like flies, and somebody would have to pony up some serious dough. Just a thought....

Avalanche
10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I know I have not been around in a while but I will pony up some dough to have the track all to ourselves. Think about it. How much did you pay to go to L Fest? Gas? Hotel room? I think that 85 bones is not bad so Uncle you can put me down for the 85 if that is the way we go. I just feel like the child sitting at the grown up table when we go to the track because I am so slow.

FRDRCING
10-28-2005, 11:27 PM
I know I have not been around in a while but I will pony up some dough to have the track all to ourselves. Think about it. How much did you pay to go to L Fest? Gas? Hotel room? I think that 85 bones is not bad so Uncle you can put me down for the 85 if that is the way we go. I just feel like the child sitting at the grown up table when we go to the track because I am so slow.

I will put up $85 as well, but brent don't fell so bad you are still faster that I am

03LightningRocks
10-29-2005, 01:51 PM
The track rental suggestion has been has been pulled off the table.....:D . We might want to move to the next issue on the race. I suggested a possibility of getting Hallsville...that got sh!t all over too. Seems there is quite a bit of love for the street track in temple...so unless Sixpipes has come up with an OK option...which I was praying for...looks like the TAD is it. I'll be there...but you guys who are pressing so hard for TAD, will never...and I mean never...get to quit hearing about your bad judgement from me....:evil . That is if it is bad judgement... we shall see.

Avalanche
10-29-2005, 05:11 PM
I really don't care but I have one wuestion. Why would I want to drive 3 some hours to a track and then not start racing until 6 in the evening and then only get maybe 6 passes in and not get home until lets say early the next morning? I just don't get it. I know this will get sot to sh!t also but what about renting an 1/8 track like Redline or Denton?

Better yet lets all save some cash and plan on meeting on I-30 just after Caha and then race to Dalrock it is straight and it is a little over a mile so we will have plenty of shutdown room!!!:crying:

Sixpipes
10-29-2005, 06:30 PM
These kinds of threads are exactly why I am losing my enthusiasm for the TFC. Not every one is going to happy with the venue, that is the only thing I am certain about. My suggestion at this point is to use TAD on December 3, since they are the only ones that seem to be interested. I will personally visit the track next weekend and even make a few passes to get the feel for things. It seems the guys that have concern about track safety are also the guys that have never been to the track in person (me included) so I'll volunteer to get some first-hand experience. However, the track is a sanctioned IHRA track for pete sake so how dangerous can it be? :cool:

Mark #2
10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
These kinds of threads are exactly why I am losing my enthusiasm for the TFC. Not every one is going to happy with the venue, that is the only thing I am certain about. My suggestion at this point is to use TAD on December 3, since they are the only ones that seem to be interested. I will personally visit the track next weekend and even make a few passes to get the feel for things. It seems the guys that have concern about track safety are also the guys that have never been to the track in person (me included) so I'll volunteer to get some first-hand experience. However, the track is a sanctioned IHRA track for pete sake so how dangerous can it be? :cool:

Waste of gas, I trust Rob and Michael.

Sorry for contributing to this getting OT and OOH(out of hand).

Dec 3rd TAD is the final decision(if it were up to me, which it is not).

Mark

Sixpipes
10-31-2005, 10:45 AM
Thread Closed...

Please see "The Official TALON Fall Classic Thread" for updated information. :nana2