PDA

View Full Version : I need some Geek Help

03LightningRocks
08-07-2005, 01:28 PM
I am needing to purchase two laptops. One for my son at college and one for me to do data logging/tuning changes. This one has my attention. Mainly due to the light weight, compact design.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=VGNS460/B#

I need input on pros and cons of this choice.

Thanks Fellers,
Rocks:)

StormShadow
08-07-2005, 02:58 PM
For what you are using it for how about this one Ron? Much cheaper but without all of the bells and whistles. Plus you can specify what all you want on it.

Base Unit here:

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&itemtype=CFG&~tab=1

Or start here and add just the features you need:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=i6000l1&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN

03LightningRocks
08-07-2005, 05:44 PM
No more Dell for me. I have had way to many problems with Dell. Customer service and problems with their product. Dell needs to move to India, then they can be closer to their employees...;) .

Ivanhoe_Farms
08-07-2005, 06:49 PM
No more Dell for me. I have had way to many problems with Dell. Customer service and problems with their product. Dell needs to move to India, then they can be closer to their employees...;) .

SONY VIAO
Toshiba
Compac
HP
in that order:cool:

PUMP
08-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I am needing to purchase two laptops. One for my son at college and one for me to do data logging/tuning changes. This one has my attention. Mainly due to the light weight, compact design.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=VGNS460/B#

I need input on pros and cons of this choice.

Thanks Fellers,
Rocks:)
The 13" screen and light weight is OK for data logging stuff. Having used several laptops for engineering field work applications over the past few years, my opinion is that screen should be 15" minimum if you are going to use it several hours a day. While the larger screen adds weight, the resolution is significantly better and less stressful on the eyes.

my2002lightning
08-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm done with HP/Circuit City and their laptops. The screen went out 2x and the system kept shutting down randomly... all after their in-house Servicing. :hammer:

I'm on their Extended-Warranty Compaq laptop gimme, now.:rolleyes:

03LightningRocks
08-07-2005, 08:27 PM
The 13" screen and light weight is OK for data logging stuff. Having used several laptops for engineering field work applications over the past few years, my opinion is that screen should be 15" minimum if you are going to use it several hours a day. While the larger screen adds weight, the resolution is significantly better and less stressful on the eyes.

Interesting. That would not be a problem for me, but I wonder if my son has thought of this. He uses a laptop to take notes and what not in his classes. I will bring it up to him....Thanks for the heads up.

He and I both are looking for light weight as our primary concerns. I looked at the compaqs(breifly) and didn't notice much in the small category.

Ivanhoe...I feel about the same as you posted as far as quality order.

Thanks everyone....keep t comming if anyone has anything else to add.

Silver_2000
08-08-2005, 10:02 AM
lightweight laptops tend to break easier

Also have less ports - most have no serial port - no printer port - less usb ports

not good for data logging if you need those

Doug

03LightningRocks
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I would not have thoght to look for ports until I went to use them.I will check that also. My raptor data logger uses USB.

98Cobra
08-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I would definately spring for a Toshiba, if you can afford it. Probably an IBM next, and then perhaps a Dell or HP.

I would *not* pick the Sony Vaio, unless you want to replace the battery at least twice during its useful life.

03LightningRocks
08-08-2005, 05:30 PM
I would definately spring for a Toshiba, if you can afford it. Probably an IBM next, and then perhaps a Dell or HP.

I would *not* pick the Sony Vaio, unless you want to replace the battery at least twice during its useful life.

Battery life is more of an issue for my son than me. He will be counting on batteries to last through at least 2 or 3 classes. I keep bringing this stuff up to him, but he is stubborn and has about decided he likes that Sony I posted the link to. Let's see now....we have bad resolution(13" screen)....easy to break.....may not have all the ports needed....and now we have sh!tty battery life. I may pull rank on him....:cool: . Thanks again everyone. I am not much in the computer area and appreciate the help here.