PDA

View Full Version : 1400 mile weekend larger tank on the way!

L8 APEX
07-05-2005, 11:31 AM
After traveling over 1400 miles this July 4th weekend I am ordering a larger fuel cell. I had to stop and fill up 4 times which is unacceptable. There are NO gas stations in West Texas! I had to detour 30 miles into New Mexico to get diesel one day on the way to Guadalupe State Park. By the way, diesel is $2.50 a gal plus out there:mad: . After Kermit, TX I drove 200 miles without seeing a single gas station. That is serious when you are climbing mountains with a load and eating a tank every 200 miles. I was running about 350 miles per tank cruising West Texas speeds;). I am tired of worrying about running out in BFE or having to pay a ransom for fuel:hammer: . The truck saw its first 4wd action this trip down county roads and across the sand dunes:tu: .
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6072/medium/CIMG3608.JPG
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6072/medium/CIMG3648.JPG

dboat
07-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Terry,
How did she perform for you on road and off?
Dana

L8 APEX
07-05-2005, 11:17 PM
All it did was burn lots of fuel. I was waiting for parts to start rattleing off the truck going down those washboard rural roads. I ran down 30 miles of country backwoods Dukes of Hazard roads with high water crossings. Then up at 6000ft near El Capitan we climbed some mountain service roads full of cactus and sharp rocks. The altitude robbed some power as the turbo had to puff a little harder to make it go. No blown out tires or disappointments it performed as advertised. I ordered my fuel cell today total is $820 with tax and shipping:hammer: but having range is priceless after 3 months and ten thousand miles of ownership. In the sand I knew it needed wider aired down tires to float on the sand. The narrow stock rubber did okay but you had to keep it rolling as they would punch through and sink if you screwed around. I am real hesitant to go big on the tires as it will cost more fuel economy and may hurt towing and dialy operation. Also it wouldn't fit in the garage anymore.

my2002lightning
07-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Looks like fun. I'll agree - desolate country out there. Try tackling some of those CO. elevations/grades. :bows Oh, and their gas prices. :hammer:

Driving past El Capitan during a '99 March white-out blizzard was "memorable". :eek2: