PDA

View Full Version : Got range? You need this!

L8 APEX
06-16-2005, 12:16 AM
I love the look of my shortbed SuperDookie but I hate the little 29 gallon tank when hauling. During one laoded 800 mile round trip I had to refuel 3 times or every 280 miles! I get about 9-10mpg with the bread box in tow. Longbed customers get a 39 gallon tank I belive which would put it at about 370 miles towing range and that is to EMPTY!
Transfer Flow (http://www.transferflow.com/html/ford_fuel_tank_systems.html) Makes awesome replacement and add in transfer tanks and monitoring systems. The one for short bed trucks is 46 gallons which is 437 miles when towing which is 157 miles more than stock at 9.5mpg. That is pretty good when you are going cross-country. For the long beds it is an insane 57 gallons! That is 541 miles at 9.5 mpg. Which is 171 miles more than stock. If you are running empty and getting around 17mpg you have a cruise range of 969 miles almost a THOUSAND mile range! 782 for a shortbed. That would be realy nice when going through evil areas where fuel is unreasonably high like CA or West TX.:bows

L8 APEX
06-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Rocks, if you could get 13mpg with an open trailer you could go 741 miles on a fill up. That would get you to Atlanta, GA FFW on one tank! Or to Houston FFW, back home, then to Ennis FFW and back! Or all the way to L Fest on one tank and have 100 miles to spare all at 13mpg only!

Moonshine
06-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Love the idea, but last I checked Trasnfer Flows were really expensive. How bad are the replacement tanks? Under $1K?

03LightningRocks
06-16-2005, 10:48 AM
It sounds good.........but if you think about it, who the heck can drive 600 or more miles without stopping for a break anyway? Right now, I usually drive about 360-380 miles before stopping. That is around 5-6 hours driving. By that time...my Kidneys are about to explode and my ass has gone numb from sitting so long.

Cool idea for a marathon driver....:cool:

L8 APEX
06-16-2005, 03:03 PM
It's not about being able to drive non-stop Rocks. It is not having to worry about fuel availability, price, and quality wherever you go. There are guys on the diesel forum that have 200gal systems just so they don't have to pay $4 a gal when they go to Alaska, California, or wherever fuel is higher priced. You have another 10gal over my truck so you are better suited for hauls. WHen I towed to the Panhandle I pulled into a few stations on fumes. They were few and far between and 50 cents a gallon higher than home. It is about conveniece which I value.

03LightningRocks
06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
I really wasn't thinking of the cost angle. Fifty cents a gallon more would be a darn good reason to have plenty of fuel. One issue I wonder about is the extra weight of all that fuel. I wonder how that would affect milage. I notice that I get better milage as my tank goes down.

By the way....if I keep it around 75 I get about 13 now. If I increase my speed to 85...it drops to around 11.9-12. I actually did one tank at 70 and managed about 13.5, but I about went nuts driving that slow.

Rocks

Moonshine
06-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Read my manual tonight and Ford claims 30.5 gallons. What do you want to bet it's the same tank, they just changed the claimed capacity?

Moonshine
06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Just filled up and got 13.1 MPG on the first tank. Assuming the claimed 30.5 gal capacity that gives a range of right at 400 miles. Could be better, but I was typically filling the L. up every 260-280 miles.

03LightningRocks
06-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I just checked my owners manual. Because of my long bed, I have a 38 gallon tank:eek: . Makes me wonder though, the darned thing tells me low fuel around 30 gallons. I am thinking about trying to push it to 36 gallons on the next trip.

Rocks

L8 APEX
06-19-2005, 11:53 PM
My truck runs dry about a pointers width below the red mark. Also, remember diesel fuel foams as you fill up giving a false full indication. When I fill up I let it set for three minutes or so and top it off a dozen times it holds another 2 gallons then.

wesman
06-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Do not top off your tank!!!!

Sheesh, don't you people take safety labels seriously anymore ???? :rolleyes:

Even in the L I get a gallon or so more after it clicks off.

--wes

My truck runs dry about a pointers width below the red mark. Also, remember diesel fuel foams as you fill up giving a false full indication. When I fill up I let it set for three minutes or so and top it off a dozen times it holds another 2 gallons then.

L8 APEX
06-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Do not top off your tank!!!!
--wes
This applies to gasoline, not diesel petro boyee. As I said diesel foams a LOT and takes a while to settle down and get a true fill. Look around a diesel pump and see how slow it evaporates if ever. All that vapor recovery crap is for gasoline.

03LightningRocks
06-20-2005, 01:36 PM
One more thing...No, I don't take safety labels seriously. If I did, I would have a best time/MPH in the quarter of 22 seconds at 60 MPH.

Rocks:rll:

wesman
06-20-2005, 02:01 PM
That was an attempt at sarcasm...the closest smiley I could find to that would be the :rolleyes: :rolleyes: fella.

You rebel you, I bet you remove the tags from the mattress before you leave the store as well.........damn hellions

--wes

03LightningRocks
06-20-2005, 05:50 PM
snip....
You rebel you, I bet you remove the tags from the mattress before you leave the store as well.........damn hellions

--wes

That would be crossing the line....:cool:

dboat
06-20-2005, 06:32 PM
That would be crossing the line....:cool:

But I bet he does remove them from pillows.. :D

Moonshine
06-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Just got back from Austin and have a grand total of 502 miles on the truck now. With the cruise set on 75 MPH (2K RPM) the trip computer was showing 17.4 MPG. Actual mileage for the tank was 15.88 MPG. Not too bad for not being broken in.

Also went by the local rock hauling place after I filled up and checked the weight. 7,480 lbs. :eek: That truck is a heavy biatch.

03LightningRocks
06-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Just got back from Austin and have a grand total of 502 miles on the truck now. With the cruise set on 75 MPH (2K RPM) the trip computer was showing 17.4 MPG. Actual mileage for the tank was 15.88 MPG. Not too bad for not being broken in.

Also went by the local rock hauling place after I filled up and checked the weight. 7,480 lbs. :eek: That truck is a heavy biatch.

I have a :ron: . I actually believed the computer MPG the first 3 or 4 tanks. Then i started thinking about the 30 + gallons of gas and did some math. It was disapointing, to say the least.

I did manage to get around 16 MPG on the highway...no trailer of coarse.

L8 APEX
07-09-2005, 12:38 AM
I went to town and picked up my Transfer Flow tank today. I hated writing the check for an 800 dollar gas tank. But with 10K miles since mid March I am sick of filling up twice a week. Not to mention traveling across country where there are no diesel stops. With any luck I should be able to go 400 miles loaded and 700 miles empty.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/CIMG3664crop.JPG