PDA

View Full Version : At what temp does the intercooler pump come on?

rickgig
04-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Man the temp outside this weekend was awesome but I am starting to miss the lower temps and the lower humidity...

I've been noticing my truck getting sluggish and just not as crisp as it is normally... 80k miles, 2# lower, chip, ram/cold air, IT-22's (with 60k on them).

Lately I've been hearing a humming/buzz type of noise from the front of the truck... since it runs great until the abient gets to about 70 degrees I thought it may be the intercooler pump... water level rises when the truck is warm but I just haven't seen the coolant circulating like I have during the middle of the summer when it is really hot.

So I am thinking the pump may be making the noise and is possibly frozen up or failing some how...

Any suggestions on how to check the pump?

I am sure I need to pull the blower and clean the cooling coils from oil and crud... wouldn't hurt.

L8 APEX
04-18-2005, 10:02 AM
100' or 20 seconds after start when it is warmed up already.

rickgig
04-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Then it looks like it is not working... fuild level comes up to the top of the tank but I can see it's not hot... just warm.

This can be causing the sluggishness but worse yet... it could cause detonation.

What should I look for first?

L8 APEX
04-18-2005, 10:25 AM
IC fluid should not get hot while cruising around. It should look like a margarita machine slurring though. If the pump is not working the fluid will be still not flowing. You can start the truck and beat the pump to jar it loose sometimes. But they will usually lock up shortly after again.

rickgig
04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
The margarita machine is a good desciption and that is not what I am getting...

I'll gently beat on it and see if I can get it to flow... obviously, I will need to replace it which should be too tough.

I bet this is a Ford... brilliant don't you think?

rickgig
04-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I need a part number if anyone knows it.

L8 APEX
04-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I would check power at the plug and beat it first. List is near 400 bucks and wholesale is 263. There were some cheaper sources on the net though... It is a Bosch pump.

L-Fever
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I need a part number if anyone knows it.

You don't want to know what Ford dealers want for the replacement! I think it's over $300! I ordered mine from the link below.

I just replaced mine about 2 month's ago. the place that I ordered mine was : Intercooler pump replacement (http://www.madenterprise.com/F150.htm) . It appears thier site is down.

Bosch Intercooler Pump, P/N 0 392 022 002

You can order just the pump,pigtail,mount separately or as a kit. I think the pump is about $165 or so by itself.

Another source!

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,1,58589

Another.......!

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6199

rickgig
04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Steve:

Great links... the first one doesn't come up... I'll try again later.

Thanks

L-Fever
04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Steve:

Great links... the first one doesn't come up... I'll try again later.

Thanks

Be sure and check all your connections like Terry said just to be sure.

rickgig
04-18-2005, 12:34 PM
I'll check the connections... but with the noise I am hearing, I bet the pump has froze up. Steve... tell me why you replaced yours and what was it doing (or not doing)?

L-Fever
04-18-2005, 12:50 PM
I'll check the connections... but with the noise I am hearing, I bet the pump has froze up. Steve... tell me why you replaced yours and what was it doing (or not doing)?

Mine would quit running and I could tap/beat lightly on the pump and it would run for awhile. I first noticed it back last summer when I was running a 6 lb lower and had some "pinging issues" because the pump quit running in the hot weather. I got tired of it not running all the time and just replaced it for peace of mind. I still check to see if it's running periodically and so far so good.

PoorSvtman
04-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Mine would quit running and I could tap/beat lightly on the pump and it would run for awhile. I first noticed it back last summer when I was running a 6 lb lower and had some "pinging issues" because the pump quit running in the hot weather. I got tired of it not running all the time and just replaced it for peace of mind. I still check to see if it's running periodically and so far so good.

thats exactly what mine is doing at times.... guess after 100k+ miles and many hours of idling and it running at the track,etc its on its last leg.

G'Lightning
04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
http://www.madenterprise.com/F150.htm . $200 Bones. OOPs saw buttfugas had same link. :hammer:

PoorSvtman
04-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Gary, thats what you get for not posting on talon as much :beer:

rickgig
04-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Just a little update for y'all... the plastic hammer trick did the number... tapped it good and hard four days ago and it is still pumping strong.

I guess I'll wait and see if it locks up again before I buy a new pump.

Tex Arcana
04-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Just a little update for y'all... the plastic hammer trick did the number... tapped it good and hard four days ago and it is still pumping strong.

I guess I'll wait and see if it locks up again before I buy a new pump.

How many miles/years on your truck?? If you're under 36k/3yrs, or under extended warranty, you might get the stealership to replace it.

Also... noticed that the intercooler fluid tends to foam when the pump is running.. does water wetter help control that?

rickgig
04-25-2005, 06:44 PM
A bunch!!! Way over 36k... enjoyed every one of them too!:nana2 (couldn't resist the bannana)

Tex Arcana
04-25-2005, 06:47 PM
A bunch!!! Way over 36k... enjoyed every one of them too!:nana2 (couldn't resist the bannana)
meh, yer on your own, then. If you do change it yourself, holler, I'd like to see it, or help.

rickgig
04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
So far the hammer technique worked very well. It's been almost a week and still working. I'll see how often it fails before I order a replacement.

I'll keep you posted...