PDA

View Full Version : Noise coming from rear-end

rickgig
02-28-2005, 06:44 PM
I know it was risky to title this that way but I figure we can exercise restraint... right?

A couple of weeks ago I asked about rear-end lube and found out it varies on weight and synthetic or not.

The reason I was asking is I started to hear a hmmm from the rear-end while slowing down... we've all heard it before and can say "It's your rear end". Not to loud but nonetheless, I could hear it with the back window open and no tunes on.

Got under and checked it out... added a very small amount of lube and noticed a thick wax like substance on my finger that was gray in color.

Okay... it's slightly louder and now I am worried. I’m thinking I should pull the rear-end cover and drain it and inspect it. Sounds good but what I am looking for? I've got a suspicion that the wax like stuff is due to water in there. So if I pull it off and find water... easy fix if there is no further damage (replace breather hose if cracked and refill).

Other than that... I don't know what else to do than take it somewhere before it breaks... even now it is not very loud at all.

So I need some advice... also once I pull off the cover... I assume I just use RTV to put it back on once I’ve cleaned the old stuff off? Any recommendations here? Gasket sealer or more of a silicone based product?

Argh...

dboat
02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
A couple of weeks ago I asked about rear-end lube.

The reason I was asking is I started to hear a hmmm from the rear-end while slowing down...
Got under and checked it out... added a very small amount of lube and noticed a thick substance on my finger.

I must resist... I must resist.. I must resist.. :evil
Dana

Beaudee
02-28-2005, 07:59 PM
If the cover isn't leaking,don't take it off.Use a cheap gear oil pump or a hand soap pump with tube on end and pump it out, and reservice, then crank some ACDC for the noise problem! :banana:

Beaudee
02-28-2005, 08:11 PM

The reason I was asking is I started to hear a hmmm from the rear-end while slowing down...
Got under and checked it out... added a very small amount of lube and noticed a thick substance on my finger.

Dana
You need to explain that one to Ford, but you better be smilin!Classic!!! :rll: :rll: :rll:

Beaudee
02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
added a very small amount of lube and noticed a thick substance on my finger.

You need to fill it till it runs out

rickgig
02-28-2005, 11:32 PM

Dana

See... we can practice restraint!

rickgig
02-28-2005, 11:35 PM
added a very small amount of lube and noticed a thick substance on my finger.

You need to fill it till it runs out

Did that...

But tell me what ACDC is... and I hope I am not setting myself up again :)

Sandman
03-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Did that...

But tell me what ACDC is... and I hope I am not setting myself up again :)

:hammer:
http://www.ac-dc.net/

Beaudee
03-01-2005, 08:01 AM
How many miles on your L. ?Are you the original owner?

rickgig
03-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I've got 79k on it and yes... I am the original owner... few mods but nothing major.

Max Mitchell
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Suctioning the lube out is a waste of time for inspection. Drop the cover and re-install it with RTV gasket maker. Typical maintenance and inspection would include cleaning the magnet on the fill plug, examining lube condition, cleaning the debris from the bottom of the case and examining it, checking the gear pattern position/wear and measuring the backlash. I know you don't want to hear this, but Ford has had problems with 9.75" rear ends whining for years. They've had varied success using multiple repair/replacement procedures.

rickgig
03-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Max:

This is the input I am looking for... thanks

My brother is a service manager for two small Ford delarships and he pretty much told me the same about the noise, "they all do it". But with it getting louder, ever so slightly, I am concerned.

I pull everything off and clean it up but for measuring the backlash I wouldn't be able to (I don't think).

So I'll pull the cover off and get more RTV and hopefully I'll see somthing that'll tip me off in the right direction.

I don't mind having someone fix it but I like knowing that I saw the problem and pretty understand the extent of the damage before taking it in.

Max Mitchell
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
You're Welcome ! Yes, it's common. Good luck with your service. There are many posts about this over at the "other" board; some include gear pattern photos.

rickgig
03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Useful stuff if anyone needs it in the future...

www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Diagnosis/Reference/pitch_line_runout.htm (http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Diagnosis/Reference/pitch_line_runout.htm)

Beaudee
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Suctioning the lube out is a waste of time for inspection. Drop the cover and re-install it with RTV gasket maker. Typical maintenance and inspection would include cleaning the magnet on the fill plug, examining lube condition, cleaning the debris from the bottom of the case and examining it, checking the gear pattern position/wear and measuring the backlash. I know you don't want to hear this, but Ford has had problems with 9.75" rear ends whining for years. They've had varied success using multiple repair/replacement procedures.
I agree,especially if you been towing a boat.My hose deal is just a throw down quicky and it sounds like your concerned,so check it!Sometimes after a good sucking and service job things quiet down! :rll: :rll:

Tex Arcana
03-07-2005, 02:08 PM

While you're at it, collect a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs, and get an analysis of it. This'll help clue you to potential problems.

rickgig
03-08-2005, 07:16 AM
I am going to pull the cover off today... bad news is that it has gotten louder so I am pretty much sure I've toasted a ring and pinion.

So it begs the question... stick with 3.73 or go with 4.11?

Other than Ford, where can I buy a gear set?

Max Mitchell
03-08-2005, 09:51 AM
If you're moving up to 4.10s, Ford Racing no longer makes them. I've had good luck with U.S.Gear and Precision. Most of the tuners carry sets and so do these guys:

www.reiderracing.com
www.ring-pinion.com

rickgig
03-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Next question... what size differential is in our trucks, 9"?

Max Mitchell
03-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Next question... what size differential is in our trucks, 9"?

No. It's a 9.75" Sterling axle with a Trac-lok limited slip differential.