PDA

View Full Version : Got the G1 back today!

02BOLT
02-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Well after a few months of waiting, I finally got her back today. I had almost forgotten how much fun that little truck is to drive, and it's not tuned yet, nor can I even get on it(gotta break her in), but from just the little bit I've gotten to drive her, the throttle response has improved tenfold, and she accelerates much more effortlessly than ever before. It's very apparent that she's hitting on all 8 cylinders, and the little Cam Motion custom roller cam, definitely has a nice little "ratta tat tat" to it!

The engine compartment looks FANTABULOUS!http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/eek2.gif I'm really looking forward to getting in there and putting the finishing touches on her, getting her broken in, and completely in tune. When we're done, the lil' 351 should be cranking out something just north of 400 ponies, naturally aspirated. She's no G2, and she definitely won't be the fastest thing on the road by any means, but she will fly the G1 banner high.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this little project, here's a brief overview....'93 Red Lightning/37K miles

*351 Windsor.
*"0" Decked block & Internally balanced reciprocating assembly.
*SRP Forged Pistons(-14cc dish yielding a 10.25:1 C/R....Stock was 8.8:1).
*AFR 185 CNC Ported cylinder heads w/ 58cc combustion chambers.
*Cam Motion custom hydraulic roller cam(Stock was hyd. flat-tappet).
*Steeda 1.72 Roller Rockers.
*Extrude Honed & Ceramic Coated GT-40 Lower Intake.
*Accufab 65mm Polished Billet Throttle Body.
*Flex-A-Lite 295 E-fans.
*March Underdrive Pulleys.
*Pickrel Perf Cold Air Intake.
*Pickrel Perf 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers(Jet Hot)w/ 3" Mandrel bent exhaust tubing, Magnaflow "X" chamber muffler, and dual 3" ceramic coated, slash cut tips exiting in front of RR tire.
*Art Carr 2400 rpm Stall converter.
*Art Carr Valve Body.
*4x4 "Deep" Tranny pan.

You get the idea. At any rate, I'm hoping she'll run some solid 13's on Drag Radials, and give the HEMI RAM and SRT-10(at least in the 1/8th) boys hell! Can you imagine how much fun it would be to crack an SRT-10's ass out at Kennedale or Denton in a 12 year old truck, naturally aspirated, with 150 LESS cubic inches?!?! Hey, it could happen.....maybe.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif

I'm just glad to have the L back. Can't let Jeffrey, Steve-O, Larry, Adam, Steve(Buttfungus), Mike, Bobby and the rest of the group have ALL the fun every Saturday.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrinflip.gif

Flats Man
02-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Hey Rob,

It is great to have your beautiful Gen1 back up and running in the club again! We are going to have some pretty fast gen1's with all kinds of setups. Ronnie should have his black Gen1 done sometime this summer and I think he is going to be putting out around 370 rwhp. Dennis has some cool plans for his Black 95. And of course there is Terry Hogg with his awesome machine! I am sure you will be bringing your truck to Lightning Fest 2005 so the Gen1 caravan should really be a lot of fun!

L-Fever
02-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Well after a few months of waiting, I finally got her back today. I had almost forgotten how much fun that little truck is to drive, and it's not tuned yet, nor can I even get on it(gotta break her in), but from just the little bit I've gotten to drive her, the throttle response has improved tenfold, and she accelerates much more effortlessly than ever before. It's very apparent that she's hitting on all 8 cylinders, and the little Cam Motion custom roller cam, definitely has a nice little "ratta tat tat" to it!

The engine compartment looks FANTABULOUS!http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/eek2.gif I'm really looking forward to getting in there and putting the finishing touches on her, getting her broken in, and completely in tune. When we're done, the lil' 351 should be cranking out something just north of 400 ponies, naturally aspirated. She's no G2, and she definitely won't be the fastest thing on the road by any means, but she will fly the G1 banner high.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this little project, here's a brief overview....'93 Red Lightning/37K miles

*351 Windsor.
*Flex-A-Lite 295 E-fans.
*Pickrel Perf 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers(Jet Hot)w/ 3" Mandrel bent exhaust tubing, Magnaflow "X" chamber muffler, and dual 3" ceramic coated, slash cut tips exiting in front of RR tire.
*Art Carr Valve Body.
*4x4 "Deep" Tranny pan.

You get the idea. At any rate, I'm hoping she'll run some solid 13's on Drag Radials, and give the HEMI RAM and SRT-10(at least in the 1/8th) boys hell! Can you imagine how much fun it would be to crack an SRT-10's ass out at Kennedale or Denton in a 12 year old truck, naturally aspirated, with 150 LESS cubic inches?!?! Hey, it could happen.....maybe.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif

I'm just glad to have the L back. Can't let Jeffrey, Steve-O, Larry, Adam, Steve(Buttfungus), Mike, Bobby and the rest of the group have ALL the fun every Saturday.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrinflip.gif

Sweet!:tu: I can't wait to see it in person!

Nuhklz
02-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Sweet!:tu: I can't wait to see it in person!

It looks good and sound good. Rob is like a new father.

00Bolt
02-07-2005, 07:57 AM
couldnt find the smiley, but basically what im trying to say is

this thread is useless without pics

02BOLT
02-07-2005, 08:58 AM
couldnt find the smiley, but basically what im trying to say is

this thread is useless without pics

Worthless! It took me a fricking hour to henpeck all that out.:o

I'll try to get some pics up some time in the next few days. I need to get a digital camera(and probably will within the next week or so). In the mean time, maybe I can talk Bad Steve into snapping a couple shots of her for me and posting them up.:cool:

Sixpipes
02-07-2005, 08:58 AM
I'll be interested to see the dyno numbers. I'm hoping to have a built stroker by Lightningfest this year and 400rwhp is the target. Glad you got it running. :tu:

WA 2 FST
02-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Awesome, Rob! That has got to be one cherry truck... 37k miles. :cool:

Can't wait to hear your impressions after you're comfortable giving it a little gas.

99WhiteBeast
02-07-2005, 03:41 PM
In the mean time, maybe I can talk Bad Steve into snapping a couple shots of her for me and posting them up.:cool:

Anytime bro. This engine compartment let alone the truck are awesome. Very very clean install on the motor with all the extra extra shiny goodies:bows

This truck sounds very good but not too radical- should surprise alot of people stop light to stop light:tu:

bigdale83
02-07-2005, 05:29 PM
can't wait to see that thing, i know it was clean before so i can only imagine it now!

TP Derrick D
02-07-2005, 06:33 PM

*351 Windsor.
*Flex-A-Lite 295 E-fans.
*Art Carr Valve Body.
*4x4 "Deep" Tranny pan.

What's up Rob?
Glad you got it back. I didn't get to see it after last Sat. but you know I already know it will look smooth. Hey,see I told you it would be worth the wait. My crew chief & pit crew do some really clean,mean machines. Put a good word on the streets for us would ya!!!!! :tu:

Ivanhoe_Farms
02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Sounds like much fun, congrats on getting her running again :D
I am a little Green, wish my project was running :crying:

02BOLT
02-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Damn. Sounds like the Glenn boys are gonna have a pretty stout Gen 1 posse. You fellas ought to be surprising the hell outta some unsuspecting Gen 2's.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Dennis, I'm also really eager to see what kind of number she throws down. The converter will probably hamper the numbers a little, but I'll give up a few numbers on the dyno, for the performance gained in the real world. I really like the way the converter behaves. It definitely helps get the truck moving.

Just based on the power my 347 stroker made in my old Mustang(375 RWHP thru a 5 speed), with very similar heads, intake, CID, and compression; I'm hoping the 351 will put around 320-330 or so to the wheels through the slushbox, while making around 400 or so lb/ft of TQ. The biggest difference in the 351 -vs- 347 combos, was that the cam in the 351 is smaller (212*/216* @ .050 -vs- 228*/238* @ .050), and on a wider lobe sep(114* -vs- 110*), due to the speed density; which will undoubtedly cost some HP(20-30 I'd guess).

I saw a guy w/ a 419 stroker(or some odd number like that) in a G1 dyno a few months ago. After the tuning, he wound up putting down around 360 RWHP, and like 430 RWTQ. I believe he had Pro Topline heads, and an Edelbrock based intake(Fuel Injected), and a pretty big cam. It was an odd combo of parts, but made decent power.

Keep me posted on how your trucks are progressing. This year's caravan to L-Fest should have a pretty stout contingency of Gen 1's. Ought to be fun.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

99WhiteBeast
06-03-2010, 04:40 PM
testing- your PM is full so maybe you'll get this