PDA

View Full Version : Bluto Is A Texan Now!

Flats Man
12-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Bluto now has a Texas title and license so I guess that makes him an official Texas truck! I think Tobbun is going to try for a special plate! The truck has no smog equipment at all but the EGR is still installed and it passed emissions with only a slight problem, which was a high NOX reading. A bottle of stuff took care of that.

Silver_2000
12-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Cool

Flats Man
12-05-2004, 10:00 AM
I think Bluto was faster as a Florida truck! lol I would bet some money that we broke the Kelvar belt inside the Powerdyne on the first launch at Hallsville!

Tobbun
12-06-2004, 10:00 AM
All last week when I was driving it around town, it felt fast as normal. Even on the drive up there, it still felt fast.

On the ride home, it felt wounded... and not just in pride. :)

Flats Man
12-31-2004, 08:51 AM
The latest news on Bluto is that we are going to rebuild the Powerdyne and sell that complete blower system. If any of you Gen1 guys are interested, I will make you a deal on it but Sixpipes and Ronnie get the first choice on it! It is a great little blower for the street but is lacking at the track. Yesterday, I committed to a Blowzilla 2.2 and that will be sitting on top of a Calvert built 408! We will be running Pickrel 1 3/4 Long tubes and complete exhaust. The Edlebrock heads will be ported with new valves and springs. The Cam specs are:

Intake Exhaust
Advertised Duration 280 288
Duration @.050 228 236
Lobe Seperation 112
Gross Lift 534 564
Lobe center line 108 110
I am not speed density so this cam should rock!

Terry's shop will be supporting this project and Terry will be building the Tranny for us. That is the latest!

Sixpipes
12-31-2004, 10:51 AM
My maintenance budget for Popeye continues to be $0 for 2005. But it is rather cool to see parts flying off of your 94. Maybe I'll snag a few things before they hit the market. :evil

99WhiteBeast
12-31-2004, 05:44 PM
Thought you guys were planning to use the proturbo kit:confused:

Sixpipes
12-31-2004, 06:07 PM
I understand that there is a 4-month wait after they take your money. Where does this happen except the automotive aftermarket business? I think the Blowzilla and the tranny upgrade can be done for the price of the just the Turbo kit from what Flats Man is telling me. :cool:

Flats Man
12-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Actually, a little less than the Turbo Kit and I was still going to have to build the tranny besides!

99WhiteBeast
01-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Actually, a little less than the Turbo Kit and I was still going to have to build the tranny besides!
Makes sense- the KB will be very nice. I wish they would figure a way to intercool it.

Flats Man
01-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I wish it was intercooled too but I think we will be keeping the boost down to about 8 lbs and that should keep some of the heat out of the charge temp. I am also thinking that we will be shifting at around 5000 rpm! We should still be between 450 and 500 RWHP at those levels and very fun on the street!

WA 2 FST
01-03-2005, 03:31 PM
So was the Kevlar belt shredded on the PD blower? Since it wasn't making boost, have you determined the issue with detonation under load?

Is that a Wayne Calvert built 408? He builds GREAT motors, IMHO, and being local is a win-win.

Good luck with it! It will be very fast when its done! :D

Flats Man
01-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Wes, I have a new Kelvar belt and new small bearings for the Powerdyne! I have not opened it up yet but I am pretty sure of what I will find! I haven't been to Texas since the Hallsville event so I haven't done anything to it. Tobbun took the belt off and is driving it N/A right now. Calvert will build us a forged short block and will port the heads and put in new vavle springs. I am putting an Anderson Motor Sport B-41 Cam in the mix, which should work well with the blower since I am Mass Air. The cam specs are : duration at .050 228-336 and the lobe seperation is 112 and the gross lift is 534-564. It should rock with the Kenne Bell! On the exhaust side, we will be running a complete Pickrel system with 1 3/4 long tubes. All of the support work will be done by Terry including a built to the hilt tranny. I am pretty sure that there will be a few fuel upgrades too. It should truley be a Beast!

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Will the parts go on a 1993 RED or a 1995 BLACK Gen 1???:cool:

Flats Man
01-03-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't know the answer to that one! I guess it depends who owns the Red one! I am not sure the Black one is ready for public consumption yet!

99WhiteBeast
01-03-2005, 08:53 PM
If sixer does jump on the dyne I may be interested once its ready

Flats Man
01-04-2005, 06:33 AM
99WhiteBeast, You are on the list! What are you thinking of using it on?

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-05-2005, 07:21 PM
99WhiteBeast, You are on the list! What are you thinking of using it on?
Can I pull brotherly priveledge or something here:beer:

Flats Man
01-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Can I pull brotherly priveledge or something here:beer:Well If you are interested in the Powerdyne for the project that you are about to get started on, I think that would be some what like an ant giving CPR to an elephant! lol

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-06-2005, 08:23 AM
There are elephants and then there are rabbits that run on the street:d :cool:

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-06-2005, 07:18 PM
who is going to use the name BRUTUS and Wimpy? I have a preference, but you guys are the ones that started this!! It is tough being the brother of TWO URBAN LEGENDS:bows

Flats Man
01-06-2005, 08:48 PM
I vote that Brutus goes to the Black 95! I think a Red Gen1 named Brutus is a little Gay, so you could name your Red truck Bruce or something! How about Bruti! The multipule of Brutus! You will have 1.5 times the cubic inches or something! loll

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-07-2005, 09:17 AM
GAY --- GAY --- GAY?????

Did I just understand that RED is not as strong of a color as Black or White.

Do I need to issue a challenge right now for LightningFest2005 for my RED truch to run either of your WHITE trucks? Bring on the BLACK ones as well:throw:
HELL, bring on both the WHITE ones too:nana2 knana :banana:

Sixpipes
01-08-2005, 09:38 PM
who is going to use the name BRUTUS and Wimpy? I have a preference, but you guys are the ones that started this!! :bows

Perfect name for the other Red 93. :cool:

http://www.theneitherworld.com/popeye/chars/pappy.htm

dboat
01-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Perfect name for the other Red 93. :cool:

http://www.theneitherworld.com/popeye/chars/pappy.htm

Great site.. but how in the heck did you ever find it.. reminded me of a lot of the characters I havent thought of in quite some time. Although for those of us old enough to remember this show, it was quite not the PC type of cartoons they have today.. not PC at all!!

Dana

Sixpipes
01-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Great site.. but how in the heck did you ever find it.. reminded me of a lot of the characters I havent thought of in quite some time.

Dana

I use to watch Popeye cartoons on Slam Bang Theatre with Icky Twerp. I just did a search for "Popeye Characters" and went down the line until I found "The Rough House". Pretty informative site if you like Popeye. :cool:

dboat
01-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I use to watch Popeye cartoons on Slam Bang Theatre with Icky Twerp. I just did a search for "Popeye Characters" and went down the line until I found "The Rough House". Pretty informative site if you like Popeye. :cool:

Popeye, the original ones in black and white, were on TV in Houston every day as a kid. I wasnt much on reading the comic strip. But you will never see some of those cartoons again.. My parents used to let me watch them back when I was a toddler even..

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I guess FlatsMan owns Bluto:beer:

I know own Pop-I and PoopDeckPappy,:cool:

And the name of your new truck is . . . . . . . . . . :confused:

And the name of the RED 2000 is . . . . . . . . .

Flats Man
01-24-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks to Terry, Bluto is now sporting a new stance. Today we installed some Eibach 1.3 drop coils and some 2 inch drop shackles. Terry also got some good pictures which explain why Bluto didn't run too well at Hallsville! We are also suspecting that we have a broken motor mount! It appears that the fan is chewing up the left side of the shroud under WOT! :hammer: Could this be the pinging the we heard?

WA 2 FST
01-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Certainly could be the "pinging" you heard. However, that doesn't explain the loss of 100+hp that the blower should have been producing.

Flats Man
01-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey Wes, the loss of 100 HP was caused by Tobbun putting the Kelvar belt into the corner pocket of the blower casing. Terry has the pictures. I put a new belt on yesterday and we are blown once again!
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65508#post65508

WA 2 FST
01-25-2005, 10:08 AM
D'oh! Well, I guess we all called that one.

Those PD blowers have a history of that. I think they upgraded to a BD-11 (seems like the right name), but I know guys that have shredded them, too. Then again, I have a friend with a '94 Cobra that has had his PD blower for 8 years without a problem.

Glad it was something relatively easy on the motor mount. I'm sure that was causing all the racket under the hood with the fan blade hitting the shroud. Makes sense to me.

Flats Man
01-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Well, what really puzzled me at the time was that it was pinging without the blower and then Tobbun told me that he added 4 gallons of race gas and it still pinged! I knew something wasn't right then! lol

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Do you think I will have the same problem with Poopdeck Pappy?:cool:

Tobbun
01-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Here are the picks of the drop...

Here is before:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/624October_006-med.jpg

Here is after:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/624January_118-med.jpg

I like it...

It looks much better in person.

Tobbun
01-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Here is before

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/624October_004-med.jpg

Here is after

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/624January-med.jpg

:beer:

Flats Man
01-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Here is a picture of a 408 stroker piston that we are looking at. It has a -25 cc dish and would yield a compression of 9.18 to 1 with a .043 head gasket on 65 cc head chambers.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/33MVC-012F-med.JPG

WA 2 FST
01-28-2005, 04:04 PM
My only caution on a piston with that deep of a dish is that it be something specifically designed for a blown/turbo/nitrous application. This means the ring lands are thick and there is some "meat" in between them and the dish.

In some applications I've seen first-hand a piston with a deep dish that just didn't have enough meat b/w the dish and the top ring. Even with a perfect A/F ratio, and no detonation, cylinder pressures got too high and nuked it.

Just something to check, make note of, and document with the supplier. :)

Flats Man
01-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Hey Wes, thanks for the heads up. These pistons were ordered for a turbo NOS 408 stroker. I believe they are JE pistons and are of course forged. I am sending Calvert all the info on them today. I had a Guy with a Kenne Bell send me a pm that his blower was not supporting his 427 motor and he was pretty unhappy with it! Others say it will be just fine on a 408! Any ideas on this? BTW I sent Terry his Mula today as the weather was too ugly to go fishing!

WA 2 FST
01-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey Wes, thanks for the heads up. These pistons were ordered for a turbo NOS 408 stroker. I believe they are JE pistons and are of course forged. I am sending Calvert all the info on them today. I had a Guy with a Kenne Bell send me a pm that his blower was not supporting his 427 motor and he was pretty unhappy with it! Others say it will be just fine on a 408! Any ideas on this? BTW I sent Terry his Mula today as the weather was too ugly to go fishing!

Sounds like the pistons will work just fine.

The issue with the KB... that's why I brought it up in a previous post. I honestly do not see how it will support the 408, unless its one of their _big_ blowers.

Then again, you may only be turning 5000-5200rpm, so I'd think it would be fine there. The guy with the 427 may be turning 6000+rpm, and thus he needs a lot more airflow than you would. Just a thought.

WA 2 FST
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I assume you're using the Blowzilla (2.2L) blower for your application.

Assuming your shift points will be ~5000-5200 like we discussed previously, I think you'll be just fine. 9.1:1 CR with those aluminum heads will allow 10-12psi on 93 octane, depending upon just how efficient that blower is (i.e.: air charge temps at higher rpm/load). Some timing retard will be necessary.

I do not think that blower can flow enough air to effectively feed a 400+ cube motor to 6000rpm and beyond, though. But you haven't cammed it for those kind of rpms anyway.

If you're running the 1.5L blower... expect power to start falling off ~4500 or possibly earlier. :(

Flats Man
01-28-2005, 05:42 PM
It is a 2.2 Kenne Bell! I am trying to get some info right now from some of the Guys running a similar set up! I know that if I had a D1SC Pro Charger, it would run pretty strong! I am shifting at 5000 to 5200 so I am hoping that the boost doesn't start dropping off at the shift points! I am thinking of using the Snow Performance Water Injection if charge temps get too high!

WA 2 FST
01-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Yep. The biggest advantage to a good centrifugal blower is that they are typically more efficient in the higher revs (but you must be spinning the engine to higher revs to make it worthwhile), and on a big inch motor, it is not a bad thing to have a bit less bottom-end TQ for traction issues.

I would just run the KB and see how it works. I'm betting it will put a real big smile on the driver's face. :D

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-28-2005, 06:56 PM
FlatsMan, truck looks slick:beer:

Flats Man
01-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks Ivanhoe!!