PDA

View Full Version : how lean is the 2.8 Upper / Power Plenum

00Bolt
10-20-2004, 02:58 PM
tomorrow I was gonna install my new exhaust, power plenum and 2.8 upper w/ idler....

Im gonna get a new tune from JDM, but Jim wont be back until next week sometime....

so here is my question... I want to hit the dyno on Saturday and possibly the track on Sunday after the install of the new stuff.....and see what #s I can get before the reprogram.... but im having 2nd thoughts.....

im wondering if that would be safe to do or not? If the plenum/2.8 lean it out too much, just getting on the dyno could be harmful right? would the best solution would be to wait and get a new tune, then hit dyno on a safer tune, and then get another tune to adjust from what dyno says...??

but I may be over board here... I dont know much about this stuff, still learning... maybe the plenum/2.8 dont lean it out that much and Ill be ok as is....

i wanna hit the track and dyno this weekend really bad, but on other hand... not at the expense of blowing my motor.... does anyone actually "know" ???

00Bolt
10-20-2004, 05:40 PM
i think im just gonna play it on the safe side and skip out on the dyno and track this weekend until I get a new tune....

but I would still be interested to see if anyone has done a before and after A/F for either of the Plenum or 2.8 Upper

PoorSvtman
10-20-2004, 08:39 PM
you will be fine scott, the 2.8 only adds maybe 1-2lbs of boost. I dont think the plenum will realy make that big of differance realy.

L8 APEX
10-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Your changes are minor the computer will compensate.

StormShadow
10-20-2004, 09:53 PM
:rolleyes: excuses.

bobbywade69
10-20-2004, 10:08 PM
You mean Bobby is going to install this stuff tomorrow and bust his ass on your piece!

tomorrow I was gonna install my new exhaust, power plenum and 2.8 upper w/ idler....

Im gonna get a new tune from JDM, but Jim wont be back until next week sometime....

so here is my question... I want to hit the dyno on Saturday and possibly the track on Sunday after the install of the new stuff.....and see what #s I can get before the reprogram.... but im having 2nd thoughts.....

im wondering if that would be safe to do or not? If the plenum/2.8 lean it out too much, just getting on the dyno could be harmful right? would the best solution would be to wait and get a new tune, then hit dyno on a safer tune, and then get another tune to adjust from what dyno says...??

but I may be over board here... I dont know much about this stuff, still learning... maybe the plenum/2.8 dont lean it out that much and Ill be ok as is....

i wanna hit the track and dyno this weekend really bad, but on other hand... not at the expense of blowing my motor.... does anyone actually "know" ???
:D

PoorSvtman
10-20-2004, 11:05 PM
i thought i was installing the upper pulley, idler and plenum lol

L8 APEX
10-20-2004, 11:08 PM
See Scott you don't need me, you got guys fighting to work on your piece:rll:

PoorSvtman
10-20-2004, 11:28 PM
im not realy fighting to work on it, i will to help out for a slight charge of course :tu: :beer:

00Bolt
10-21-2004, 07:30 AM
well from everthing I have read, the power plenum also adds another 1lb of boost and leans it out also. But im thinking that my tune from Jim was probably pretty conservative so I might be okay....

I called JDM and talked to Anthony I think it was, in the past when I have talked to anyone other than Jim up there, I have found contridicting answers... so I never know what to believe.... anyway, he told me that I should defenitly NOT even hit the dyno or race until I get a tune. But maybe he "has" to say that to save their butt, ya know??

i guess I will maybe throw in some octaine booster in and hit dyno on Saturday and see where im at...

p.s does that octaine boost even work?

99WhiteBeast
10-21-2004, 07:36 AM
. does anyone actually "know" ???
No
yes no yes no yes......what was the last question

Dyno>get tuned if needed>show up at track

00Bolt
10-21-2004, 07:47 AM
im gonna head up to speedworks on Saturday... ill just watch the A/F graph real close...

tell me this guys.... for those of you more knowledgable than me.... how do I actually read the A/F graph... i know at the very end of the run it will print out the graph... but I dont really know what im looking for. Is there a number at a certain point? maybe at highest RPMs or what? or jsut all over?

what is considered safe, and whats dangerous?

btw, i remember Adam saying something about Ennis on Sunday.... anyone gonna head out there or just Kennedale? if my A/F is safe, im going for sure somewhere.... but will probably just use my street tune

tliss
10-21-2004, 08:00 AM
im gonna head up to speedworks on Saturday... ill just watch the A/F graph real close...

tell me this guys.... for those of you more knowledgable than me.... how do I actually read the A/F graph... i know at the very end of the run it will print out the graph... but I dont really know what im looking for. Is there a number at a certain point? maybe at highest RPMs or what? or jsut all over?

btw, i remember Adam saying something about Ennis on Sunday.... anyone gonna head out there or just Kennedale? if my A/F is safe, im going for sure somewhere.... but will probably just use my street tune
If I remember correctly, the A/F graph on the screen is on the bottom and is multiple colors depending on the ratio. Sticking the sniffer in the tailpipe like they do at most places is not the most accurate, so keep that in mind. If the A/F ratio goes above 13 at WOT you're running close the edge. Remember it will start out above 13 as your truck starts and once the guy steps on the gas it will fatten up. Just below 12 across the band is ideal. 10 is too low and 14 is way too high. Keep an eye on it when he steps on the gas and don't get freaked out by the reading while he's getting it up to third gear.

Just a quick note, if JDM is telling you not to get on the dyno before a new tune, how the hell does he know what to change? He has no dyno sheet for reference. Basically he's tuning blindly, and that's kinda fishy to me. I'd seriously consider someone that'll be a little more real if I were you.

Tom

Silver_2000
10-21-2004, 08:29 AM

btw, i remember Adam saying something about Ennis on Sunday.... anyone gonna head out there or just Kennedale? if my A/F is safe, im going for sure somewhere.... but will probably just use my street tuneAs Tom said look at the bar graph at the bottom of the dyno - At Full throttle our trucks should be nealry of the scale Rich ...

There are pictures somewhere in the gallery of the big screen at Speedworks that shows the graph

OK found a picture - you can see the blue to green bar at the right on the screen - It shoud be BLUE all the time at WOT

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/1six-banner-dyno-P3226947-med.JPG

00Bolt
10-21-2004, 08:39 AM
ya iv been up to speedworks twice and I know the A/F is at the bottom, but I just didnt really know how to read it... because I remember last time, like Tom said at the begining it was alot different # than at the end....

So basically I need to watch it, and once he gets out of 3rd gear and gets into WOT, then It needs to be in the 12 or under ???

tliss
10-21-2004, 08:56 AM
It should be hugging the 12:1 line at WOT...preferably under it. If it's a tiny bit over you are probably OK, but it should not get really close to 13. If it does, no need to panic (it won't explode), but you will need a retune to add fuel. If the A/F ratio jumps through the RPM band, you'll definitely need a retune. If it dips below 10, you'll need fuel taken out. The only way you'll really be in danger of hurting the engine on the dyno is in the A/F stays really lean through the band (i.e. 14:1+...it may take more than this, but this is my limit). If it never dips below 14 or so, I'd ask them to cut it. If it does, you're OK for the dyno run, but see what the graph looks like and determine from there what you want to do.

What time are you heading over to Speedworks on Saturday? I may come by.

Tom

00Bolt
10-21-2004, 09:05 AM
wow, that would be sweet if someone was up there that knew what they are talking about.... i havent had much luck with the speedworks guys when Iv asked them questions... they just kinda jump in and do it and push me out the door....

but Tyson (FRDRACING) was gonna head up there.... i think we were gonna try and be up there around noon...

btw, someone had told me yesterday that Speedworks moved and has like 2 locations now... but the dyno is at the other location.... its too early to call right now, guess ill call later... but can anyone confirm this true or not true?? i dotn wanna drive all the way out to lewisville if its not there anymore

ohh, and thanks for the info... i have a little bit of an idea now what to look for...

tliss
10-21-2004, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't say I really know what the hell I'm talking about, but I've picked up a little as the years have gone by.

As far as Speedworks moving...I was there a couple of months ago and they were still in Lewisville. Moving an in-ground dyno is not the easiest thing, so I have to assume they are still over there.

Tom

jeff56
10-21-2004, 03:38 PM
If you've dyno'd at the Lewisville location, I'd stay there so you're working off the same dyno. Their new location is at Carson Street and Airport Freeway in Haltom City and I'm pretty positive they have a dyno there as well.

Either of you guys working on 00Bolt's truck want to buy my REM pulley puller that he's borrowing to use? I sold him my upper pulley so I have no use for it anymore. I'll sell it for 60 clams... :tu:

FRDRCING
10-21-2004, 10:08 PM
If you've dyno'd at the Lewisville location, I'd stay there so you're working off the same dyno. Their new location is at Carson Street and Airport Freeway in Haltom City and I'm pretty positive they have a dyno there as well.

Either of you guys working on 00Bolt's truck want to buy my REM pulley puller that he's borrowing to use? I sold him my upper pulley so I have no use for it anymore. I'll sell it for 60 clams... :tu:

Didn't you just get that 2.8 upper and not going to put it on :confused: . By the way You have a very clean 02 HD.

BC Lightning
10-21-2004, 11:02 PM
here is the deal with speedworks, basically all the guys who know what they are doing moved to a new shop, I think RPM, the guys who run it know really dont know what they are doing, but they do dyno well, thats the only reason I go up there,

i wouldn't have them touch my truck ever for installs, they have called terry a few times asking simple questions. there has been a red lightning up there for months and I really think they have no clue on how to fix it.

Moral of the story, go to speedworks for dyno, go to PR for mods and installs

I'll be up there on saturday to help out, I know what to look for on the A/F graph

FRDRCING
10-22-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks BC Lightning for taking time to come out and help out with a/f readings on the dyno.

jeff56
10-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Didn't you just get that 2.8 upper and not going to put it on :confused: . By the way You have a very clean 02 HD.

Yeah...I'm kinda stupid like that! :hammer: I do have some new Bilsteins, JLP shackles and So-cal Shock extenders though! :d Thanks for the truck compliments! My emphasis is on show, not go. Everyonce in a while I loose focus and start to do some engine mods before reason takes over. Maybe one of these days I'll have Terry throw a lower on there and call it a day.

FRDRCING
10-22-2004, 11:42 PM
You need to at last have him put a FTVB in if it don't all ready have one in. It will make your truck much more fun to drive. I beleive the problem with the beast is the chip. If numbers are low tommorow then I will be sending the chip back to sal and see if he can fix it, if not then will go with a SCT from terry.

jeff56
10-23-2004, 10:13 AM
I do have an FTVB and freaking love it! It's especially great for grandpa drivers like me...kinda like you can feel the power more without having to lay into it.

Anxious to see how the truck does today. I hope it comes out good without having to do anymore troubleshooting. I'd shoot over there with ya'll, but I'm going to install my shock extenders, etc..