PDA

View Full Version : Taking applications for TALON assistant web guru

Silver_2000
08-06-2002, 01:32 PM
There is NO pay involved but if you have experience with PC's and the web and are interested in helping send your resume and a description of why/ how you can help in an email ..

I need to know your real name, some details of your level of PC experience, any graphics design experience, photoshop experience, how long you have had your Lightning, how long you have been involved with TALON etc etc.

Keep in mind that I need to know I can trust you with what has become a large and relatively complex web project that is likely to continue to grow. We will be adding more domain names to the conglomerate soon...

In return for your efforts you will receive an email address at SVTlightnings.com and your own subdomain at SVTLightnings.com.
For example you could setup a web page(s) about your truck at yourtruck.svtlightnings.com

Please send this in an email.
I will collect this info for a couple weeks then make a decision.
Please consider making a contribution of your time and energy to the sites...

Doug

blueoval01
09-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Hummmm, just wondering if we have a new assistant Webmaster yet....... :D

Silver_2000
09-10-2002, 09:38 PM
Not yet .. 2 replies so far. Both look pretty promising...

Waiting till the TALONCLub.com domain is valid freestanding domain, to make a decision. Due to my stupidity it will be a few weeks yet

Doug

Crawford
09-10-2002, 11:00 PM
I am planning on taking a web development class before the year is up. If I learn anything I would be more than willing to lend a hand. Anyone know of any good places to take a class or two, I was thinking community college continuing education. :confused:

Silver_2000
09-10-2002, 11:22 PM
People that have actually taken classes in this stuff are NOT eligible to apply... ;)
Make me nervous...;)
;)
If you cant do it by the seat of your pants ...... LOL
Doug

Crawford
09-11-2002, 09:47 AM
I had a feeling that would be the case. I wouldnt feel comfortable being the #2 guy on the site after taking a class. Just saying I will help out if needed. :) One of these days I will be at the level though. :D

Silver_2000
09-11-2002, 09:51 AM
Sam

I was kidding

I have often thought aout takling a class but the ones I want to take are always across the country and real expensive

Its easier to make you guys suffer with my errors

Doug

blueoval01
09-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Doug, I have a question for you and/or Logan. I believe that vBulletin software runs on a Unix server. Is there similar software that can run on a WinNT machine?

TIA

Silver_2000
09-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by blueoval01
Doug, I have a question for you and/or Logan. I believe that vBulletin software runs on a Unix server. Is there similar software that can run on a WinNT machine?

TIA

VB is NOT OS speciifc... BUT the majority of web servers are running *nix

You just need to get php and mysql running on NT ... I tried to install it on my home PC for a development environment and gave up. ( didnt try especially hard )

Doug

OneRedTXBolt
09-19-2002, 06:47 AM
Crawford,

If you like to read, I've found that the Teach Yourself xxxxx in 24 hours series to be decent. They are published, somewhat fittingly in a response to you, by SAMS publishing. :D I would suggest that you get a handle on HTML even if you plan on using one of the WYSIWYG editors. That way, when something doesn't line up just right, etc, you can go straight to the code and fix it yourself quickly.

I also like the Unleashed books to have as reference material.

I am also a big fan of the Macromedia products, even though I am still learning. I have used several different products over the years, mainly using the Namo Webeditor for the past 3 years or so. I am currently transitioning to myself Dreamweaver. It's interesting. I'd be happy to chat with you about this stuff the next time we hook up if ya want. I've been working with HTML for a few years. (so why is there still so much to learn? :d )

On the VBulletin message, you will also need pHp and a web server of some type running on your WinNT Server. I am running a development setup of MySQL, pHp, BadBlue web server (Apache hopefully soon - I setup BadBlue to save myself a little time) on my WinXP Home (Yea- I know. But I installed WinXP Pro, and it wasn't as stable!) laptop.

Later!

blueoval01
09-19-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by OneRedTXBolt
.... I am also a big fan of the Macromedia products.....

Later!

Macromedia MX Suite "Rocks!!!"
:tu:

Silver_2000
06-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Still interested in help with the sites and the forum.

Listening to the wind whipping the **** out of the house is making me nervous.. The sat reception is gone. Sounds like hail, the UPS means that if the power goes out I wont lose this post....
Doug

dboat
06-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
Still interested in help with the sites and the forum.

Listening to the wind whipping the **** out of the house is making me nervous.. The sat reception is gone. Sounds like hail, the UPS means that if the power goes out I wont lose this post....
Doug

I would volunteer since I am at home everyday until I get a job.. but since I dont know much about this stuff, I doubt you would want me..
the wind is crazy here, and lots of lightning.. the roofer already said we had a lightning strike on the dryer exhaust vent on the roof. :nana2
it was pretty wild here last night too..
the offer is open if you want to try me.. otherwise, dont respond and I will get the message..
Dana

dboat
06-11-2003, 11:12 PM
did you notice that f150online is down too? any relation to the weather?

Silver_2000
06-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by dboat
did you notice that f150online is down too? any relation to the weather? Its back - its hosted in another state so I doubt its weather related

Silver_2000
06-11-2003, 11:40 PM
I would volunteer since I am at home everyday until I get a job.. but since I dont know much about this stuff, I doubt you would want me..
the wind is crazy here, and lots of lightning.. the roofer already said we had a lightning strike on the dryer exhaust vent on the roof. :nana2
it was pretty wild here last night too..
the offer is open if you want to try me.. otherwise, dont respond and I will get the message..
Dana

One thing you can do is help me cull less than GREAT pictures to save space.

There are thousands

It will be mind numbing BUT if you are interested I would appreciate the help. I can set you up with step by steps to make it easy ...
It would be a good way to get your feet wet.
Doug

dboat
06-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
One thing you can do is help me cull less than GREAT pictures to save space.

There are thousands

It will be mind numbing BUT if you are interested I would appreciate the help. I can set you up with step by steps to make it easy ...
It would be a good way to get your feet wet.
Doug

works for me but it would be subjective to my tastes and hope that is ok..

Silver_2000
06-11-2003, 11:49 PM
works for me but it would be subjective to my tastes and hope that is ok..

Less so than you think ... I have posted pictures in a hurry and never culled the blurry, dark or pictures that are crooked etc..

We can start with just the clearly ****ed up ones.

I trust your taste. Ill work on getting a back up of SVTlightnings.com so we have a backup in case you destroy something - :hammer: Its over 500mb so it will take a while

Doug

dboat
06-11-2003, 11:54 PM
ok.. just let me know when we are ready to go...
Dana

Silver_2000
06-11-2003, 11:56 PM
I am dloading the backup now - The site was 497 mb un compressed - the compressed backup file is dloading now at 209 kb/sec -

Did I mention I LOVE the server and its bandwidth ?? :D

Will be done by the time I wake up ....

Just watched it - Now over 100 mb dloaded - its coming down almost a mb per second.. :burnout: :banana: :nana2

Doug

Update - 337mb down in under 30 min

blueoval01
06-12-2003, 12:26 AM
Go for it Dana ......... :banana:
:tu: :tu:

Logan
06-12-2003, 07:17 AM
Sigh.... :)

blueoval01
11-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Doug,
Now that Dana is 1500 miles Northeast, what kinda help do you need?
:confused:

Silver_2000
11-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Doug,
Now that Dana is 1500 miles Northeast, what kinda help do you need?
:confused:Thanks for asking

There are ALL kinds of things to do

I was going to have Dana sort thru the pics on the gallery and delete the less than stellar ones to save disk space on the server and bandwidth - BUT those issues have disappeared so we won’t waste time on that now

I am currently working on a new front end for both SVTLightnings.com and TALONClub.com that uses headers and footers that are delivered using PHP includes. That is a BIG project that I haven’t made much progress on yet. As mentioned in the earlier rant thread We need someone to step up and organize and post the monthly meetings - post reminders 10 days out and generate interest.

We need more people to take digital pictures at the various events and send them in or add them to a gallery - As it is now if you take pics of an event I can create a category for that event and you can upload them direct to a gallery dedicated to that event

I also need to go thru the forum and the various websites and look for broken links or other content that needs updating - Misspellings - Font issues - red x's etc etc

If you or someone else doesn’t have much web experience I can set you up with a separate account you can play with that could be your domain - www.blueoval01.com (http://www.blueoval01.com/) for example - you could gain familiarity with the processes by manageing your own site.

We also need people to help organize events - trips to the strip - cruises etc etc and to help pull off events planned by others - Sixpipes Race in Dec is a good example.

Doug

blueoval01
11-24-2003, 06:28 PM
I am currently working on a new front end for both SVTLightnings.com and TALONClub.com that uses headers and footers that are delivered using PHP includes. That is a BIG project that I haven’t made much progress on yet. As mentioned in the earlier rant thread We need someone to step up and organize and post the monthly meetings - post reminders 10 days out and generate interest.

I intend to see this Monthly meet scheduling through. Purposely setting back with few posts of my own so I can “Digest” the input.

It seems bad for business when a newby, out-of-town visitor or even a member has to sort through a 5 page thread that basically says “Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno, Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno, Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno, Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno …………….

So, I’m glad to listen to Crawfords findings on alternates in that immediate area. Or anyone else for that matter. Only then can I make a responsible decision.

There are definite advantages to long term scheduling. Especially for out-of-town visitors.

I can do the Monthly Meet reminders as well.

Still a GreenHorn with PHP programming, but I’m glad to learn more if that would help.

We need more people to take digital pictures at the various events and send them in or add them to a gallery - As it is now if you take pics of an event I can create a category for that event and you can upload them direct to a gallery dedicated to that event

Are these meeting events or more like Track Events?

I also need to go thru the forum and the various websites and look for broken links or other content that needs updating - Misspellings - Font issues - red x's etc etc

I have Macromedia DreamWeaver with a spell & link checker.

If you or someone else doesn’t have much web experience I can set you up with a separate account you can play with that could be your domain - www.blueoval01.com (http://www.blueoval01.com/) for example - you could gain familiarity with the processes by manageing your own site.

I have currently www.blueoval.net (http://www.blueoval.net/) , which I do very little with. So I could use it to experiment on.

We also need people to help organize events - trips to the strip - cruises etc etc and to help pull off events planned by others - Sixpipes Race in Dec is a good example.

Planning on organizing some informal meets at the Hooters/Mesquite. But definitely after the holidays to start with. The traffic around Town East Mall after Thanksgiving is a freakin’ disaster.

Think someone else needs to pick up the Track Events.

Silver_2000
11-24-2003, 07:50 PM

I intend to see this Monthly meet scheduling through. Purposely setting back with few posts of my own so I can “Digest” the input.

It seems bad for business when a newby, out-of-town visitor or even a member has to sort through a 5 page thread that basically says “Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno, Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno, Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno, Where do you wanna go eat”? I dunno …………….

So, I’m glad to listen to Crawfords findings on alternates in that immediate area. Or anyone else for that matter. Only then can I make a responsible decision.

There are definite advantages to long term scheduling. Especially for out-of-town visitors.

I can do the Monthly Meet reminders as well.

Still a GreenHorn with PHP programming, but I’m glad to learn more if that would help.

Are these meeting events or more like Track Events?

BOTH

I have Macromedia DreamWeaver with a spell & link checker.

Just need to report any issues you see when perusing the sites. If you fee comfortable I can give you rights to make corrections as well....

I have currently www.blueoval.net (http://www.blueoval.net/) , which I do very little with. So I could use it to experiment on.

Planning on organizing some informal meets at the Hooters/Mesquite. But definitely after the holidays to start with. The traffic around Town East Mall after Thanksgiving is a freakin’ disaster.

Think someone else needs to pick up the Track Events.
I appreciate anything you can do !!!

98Cobra
11-24-2003, 08:04 PM
I appreciate anything you can do !!!
Anything I can help with? Judging by my own website, I ain't real good with HTML. But if there is something you think I can do, let me know! I have to back up the *****in' sometime, right?

:beer:

Silver_2000
11-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Anything I can help with? Judging by my own website, I ain't real good with HTML. But if there is something you think I can do, let me know! I have to back up the *****in' sometime, right?

:beer:
Well if all goes well Logan and I should be sharing a dedicated server that allows us lots of room for possibilities.

Help spotting stuff thats broke is a good start. Organizing, promting and taking puctures of events is a second step...

You tell me what you can/want to do ...

Doug

blueoval01
11-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Ok Doug. Let me work on a project at a time, then.
Give me the URLs you want me to check, and I'll start with that. Then document the issues and where they reside.

Silver_2000
11-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Ok Doug. Let me work on a project at a time, then.
Give me the URLs you want me to check, and I'll start with that. Then document the issues and where they reside.svtgalleries.net
svtlightnings.com
talonclub.com

tliss
11-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Doug,

I'll pitch in as well. My HTML blows, but I can learn. I have a little crappy website out there that I did for a school project a few years back, but that's really it. Trellix Web rocks! :rolleyes:

I'll be happy to help with pictures with my crappy camera, and will help coordinate and advertise upcoming events as necessary. I've got a few things in mind that we can do on an annual basis, and I'll keep feelers out there for other things that come up.

Good choice for my 1,000th post, huh?

Tom

Silver_2000
11-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Doug,

I'll pitch in as well. My HTML blows, but I can learn. I have a little crappy website out there that I did for a school project a few years back, but that's really it. Trellix Web rocks! :rolleyes:

I'll be happy to help with pictures with my crappy camera, and will help coordinate and advertise upcoming events as necessary. I've got a few things in mind that we can do on an annual basis, and I'll keep feelers out there for other things that come up.

Good choice for my 1,000th post, huh?

Tom:tu::tu:

my2002lightning
11-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Doug,

Elaine and I have quite a few of 1024x768 .jpgs of almost all the TALON events, including quite a number of LFest '03 / LFest '03 in Topeka.

I'll post them in our gallery soon, but we're in the middle of moving to Frisco and I'm busy job-hunting.

Ronald

Silver_2000
12-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Doug,

Elaine and I have quite a few of 1024x768 .jpgs of almost all the TALON events, including quite a number of LFest '03 / LFest '03 in Topeka.

I'll post them in our gallery soon, but we're in the middle of moving to Frisco and I'm busy job-hunting.

Ronald
:tu: :tu: