PDA

View Full Version : a bit worried... anyone?

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 08:46 AM
hey guys... i dont wanna sound like a complete idiot here, but really I dont know so I guess I have no other choice but to sound dumb.

anyway, yesterday my truck was dyno tuned by Jim and Terry as most of you know.. and my numbers were about 20hp down from my last dyno and only difference is I have added a accufab... but it is a different dyno and was a hotter day... that didnt worry me too much, just kinda discouraging.. but not a big deal because of the circumstances...

but Bobby said that Jim said my truck was having problems... said I need a new IC pump and also, my plugs are gapped to big and needs regapped... doesnt sound like a big deal to me, but i dont know much about that...

now, I got 2 questions...

1. would the big gap in the plugs cause a shortage of HP and TRQ ? what effect exactly would this cause?

2. on my way into work this morning, i notice at idle at a few red lights, my truck was idleing ALOT different than it used too... it was pretty jerky.. a couple times it almost felt like it was about to die..

would this be because of the new tune? is that normal?? or would this be because of the plugs... iv NEVER felt this feeling before...

thanks guys, and sorry for the ignorance

Silver_2000
09-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Scott the idle could have changed due to the new tune.

If the IC pump is bad its bad. Changing your plugs is good maintenance.

We already covered the power issue - Why are you bringing it up again ?
The dyno was different as was the weather ... The numbers mean NOTHING.

Does the truck feel stronger ? It should

Doug

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 09:09 AM
no it doesnt feel stronger at all, actually weaker if anything.... the only reason i say this is because the day before yesterday (sunday) i was out at my buddies house who bought a new mach 1 and i raced him a few different times so I know how it was running lately... it was same weather on sunday as now.... but like everyone says... im not really worried about the numbers because of the weather... but why did that one guy out there put down 380 with just a 4lb and air filter.... weather should have effected him the same right?? i put down 379 and I have 4lb, ram air, tb, ported blower, 90mm, etc not a WHOLE lot more than him.. but i figured the TB and ported blower would put me more than him right???

basically my question is about the plugs... having them gapped too big will cause what problems??? could that alone cause power problems or not? what does that mean?

if i get new plugs, should I got for IT20 or IT22... i currently have IT20s

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 09:17 AM
sorry guys, i know some of you get tired of the stupid questions... but i really dont know much about this stuff, iv learned alot in the past 8 months or so since I bought the truck but iv got ALOT to go still.... i just have nobody else to ask these things too....

Silver_2000
09-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Just regap them - I would never put the same plugs back in myself - changing them is too big a pain ...

I have heard that plug gap can impact power.

Scott - after seeing some of your posts I wouldnt be surprised if Jim gave you a very safe tune. Which is just what you need - Unless you can afford 10k for a new motor I would stick with the safe tune.

They said that the dyno was off about 20 hp ... That plus the weather and your are over 400 .... None of your mods add power except the pulley the tune and the ported blower. The ported blower may actually hurt if it was done wrong...

The 90mm doesnt by itself add any power, neither does the TB, nor the ram air....

My truck dynoed just over 400 and I ran a 12.28 a couple years ago ..
Thats plenty fast.

Of course you can wait to see what the experts on F150 say to your identical post there.... :rolleyes:

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 09:22 AM
guess ya right.. dont have anything to worry about.. like you said though, i cannot afford $10k for a built motor, so better to be safe than sorry...maybe my tune from PSP was real lean... i was mainly worried this morning when the idleing was like that... im not used to that at all... is that normal though? it used to be real smooth... now a little rough...

ill get new plugs, gap them correctly... install my efan and then in about a month when it cools down a little, go back to speedworks where my original dyno was done and see how I compare to that one...

thanks doug

once I get the new plugs and efan though, i plan to see some of you at the track... i need to beat my 8.2

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 09:49 AM
talked to jdm.. he told me that the plugs need to be about .034 and that they are probably well over .04... that alone would cause alot of problems...

i also need a new IC pump i guess... who knows, maybe that could be a big problem too... maybe it was running real hot.... does anyone have the part number for that so I can call ford???

he also said i shouldnt put the same plugs back in... so does anyone know anything about the NGKBR7 ?? i have a new set of those at home....

guess I put in the new pump, new plugs, efan and get some new slicks and see ya at the track this fall guys...

sorry for the panic attack.... thanks AGAIN... just bare with me... lol

Silver_2000
09-21-2004, 09:53 AM
If you can install it yourself
You have time so just call Fordpartsonline
They have good prices -

If you are going to pay someone to install it let them get the part for you

Doug

03LightningRocks
09-21-2004, 09:56 AM
The gap in your plugs can cause a power loss at the big end of a run. When your truck is making the max amount of boost and RPM, you can get flame blow out. It seems to me that if you where told to regap your plugs by your tuner, you should just do it. I am sure they told you what to gap them to and maybe even recommended a plug brand/type.

On your idle....I know what is causing the issue....it is an adjustment that can be made on your tune. I am not a tuner and neither are you, so I can't and won't say which parameter is needing a tweek. I would suggest you call your tuner and ask him what to do.

Scott......I am going to give you some friendly advice. Be careful you don't make the mistake of unintentionally alienating Jim, by second guessing every little bit of simplistic advice he try's to give you. If I where one of these tuners working on your truck, and gave you advice on something as basic as plug gap. I would find it annoying to see you running all over the boards checking to see if I am stupid.

Good luck Scott.

Rocks:beer:

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 09:59 AM
guess ya misunderstood me... i am by no means trying to second guess his work... Jim seems like the smartest man I have ever met as far as cars/engines go... he knows it all.... i didnt mean to sound like he didnt know what he was talking about... i just didnt wanna call him and bug him working to ask a bunch of questions...

i was just wondering about the gap plugs... he told me to do it, so im gonna do it... i just wanted info on what all problems that might cause...

03LightningRocks
09-21-2004, 10:23 AM
No Scott.....I didn't misunderstand you. You aren't listening to me:cool: .

Let me use this as an example. You are told to gap your plugs to a certain amount by your tuner. Your tuner sees you posting asking if he is feeding you a line of crap. I know you didn't actually ask if he was B.S.ing you, but that is what your questions say your asking. I am not saying to blindly accept everything you are told by your tuner. You can verify just about anything you are told by your tuner by using the search button and looking for other posts on the same subject.

You then repeatidly suggest that his tune is somehow giving you less power. Even after your told that the dyno was not giving accurate numbers. Scott, you are not being B.S.ed about the dyno. I had told Jim out at Ennis that few of the guys he would be tuning where my racing buds and that I had been bragging about him to them. Because of this, he called me last night while he was on the road to Houston to tell me about the tuning session. He said they all went well, except for the dyno was not giving accurate power numbers. The dyno is NOT what they tune your truck by. It is simply a device that allows them to log the parameters of your tune while the truck is running in a load condition.
Now......do yourself a favor and call your tuner about the idle issue. When he makes a suggestion, try what he tells you or...if you think he is B.S.ing you...try search before you get online and insult him by asking if he is full of sh!t.

Rocks:cool:

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
i didnt think his tune was causing the power loss or the idle. yesterday when I saw the 380 i though it was low because i was just hoping for a big 400+.. but when I was informed the dyno was off, my truck was hot, the weather, etc i didnt really care about that... just still waiting for that 400 dyno chart ...

then bobby told me i need a new ic pump, plugs are fuked... i got discouraged all over again... i know neither are a big deal.. but i wasnt at the dyno to ever talk to Jim... so i figured just change the plugs, ic pump ....

but since I had never talked to Jim and im pretty motor ignorant... i was wondering about the plugs... what exactly problems that can cause... i didnt know if that could actually cause power issues, idle issuses, etc

jdm told me this morning to change the plugs and gap to .034... said get that done, put in my efan, ic pump and redyno... he told me if i dont see 415 he would be very surprised... as long as its not a 95 degree day again...

he seemed to think the idle is with the plugs though... told me to let them know if its still doing that after the plug change...

he didnt really reccomend a plug though... said the Densos are nice plugs, but said something about them being made of cheap material... told me he heard good things about the BR7s (which i have a set of new at home) but has no personal expierence with them...

thanks again guys... and if anyone has any expierence with BR7s please let me know...

bobbywade69
09-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Damnit stop posting!!!! :D I will get everything sorted out for u next weekend!!! It was idleing fine when I drove it back what did u do to it!!!:nono: Yes Jim gave u a VERY safe tune the best he's got!! On the idle thing we also found the EGR vacuum line melted off by the EGR tube!!! I will fixx it also next week!! Yes hate to say it but Ron is right!!:evil Like I told u, u are getting spark blow out at higher RPM just like the dyno sheet shows!! and also like Jim told me the same thing!!! Just stop posting and worrying about these small problems I'll will get them fixed for u!!!:tu: :evil And yes the dyno was not working properly after Adam's Lightning broke it!!! :eek2: Just go with NGK6 not the BR7 !

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 04:25 PM
ya im cool now... i took a chill pill... :twitch:

i was just a little nervous when i found out truck wasnt running properly with the plugs, pump, etc...

its all good... yall just forget i ruined the day.... again!

Silver_2000
09-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Scott,

We ( I ) collectively get the impression sometimes that we are wasting our breath when trying to help you. We offer good advice that has worked on the past for many others and ( like Ronald ) you keep asking more questions and more details without ever trying what has already been suggested.

There is nothing wrong with your truck that makes it unsafe to drive so its all good...

Take a deep breath - It sounds like Bobby is gonna help you get this stuff sorted out.

Doug

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
well i have said some dumb things in the past, so i probably deserve it... but i think ya guys just get a kick out of messing with me...

Sixpipes
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't gap your plugs at .034.....................................this is a test. :evil

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 04:59 PM
OHH REALLY? what would u do it at ??

Sixpipes
09-21-2004, 05:38 PM
You failed. :D

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 05:42 PM
:d

my2002lightning
09-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Referring specifically to what, Doug?

Speeding tkts.? Royal Purple oil consumption?

Ronald

Scott,

We ( I ) collectively get the impression sometimes that we are wasting our breath when trying to help you. We offer good advice that has worked on the past for many others and ( like Ronald ) you keep asking more questions and more details without ever trying what has already been suggested.

There is nothing wrong with your truck that makes it unsafe to drive so its all good...

Take a deep breath - It sounds like Bobby is gonna help you get this stuff sorted out.

Doug

00Bolt
09-21-2004, 06:13 PM
for once, those dont sound like my questions...

Ronald

03LightningRocks
09-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Dennis.......................You just kill me........:rll: :rll: :rll: .

Thanks for the evening laugh. I owe ya one.

Rocks:bows

Silver_2000
09-21-2004, 07:31 PM

Ronald
I dont remember but something was wrong with your truck and you kept calling and posting and calling - Never tried any of the suggestions ...

Maybe it was the gas cap not sure...

Like Scott - just need to take a deep breath sometimes and try something see if it works - THEN go back for more help.
Doug

my2002lightning
09-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Doug,

That was either the #1 & #2 coil-packs going out at the same time or my gas-cap not snug and throwing a code.

I'll admit I was a bit upset with the coil-pack issue going on - the L was loping like crazy and could barely stay running. Suzy wouldn't have made it over to your house if I wanted to - it was that bad. Two new coil-packs and it ran like new.:hammer:

As to the gas-cap fiasco, you make it sound like I was running around with my hair on fire.:D It ran fine, but was throwing a code.

You and I both didn't know it was the gas-cap until you read the code and ran it. I think Laney filled up the L on 93 right before that, now that I think about it. :cool: :d

I take heed of the the advice/experiences on here, trust me. It may not seem like it.

Ronald

I dont remember but something was wrong with your truck and you kept calling and posting and calling - Never tried any of the suggestions ...

Maybe it was the gas cap not sure...

Like Scott - just need to take a deep breath sometimes and try something see if it works - THEN go back for more help.
Doug

dboat
09-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Doug,

You and I both didn't know it was the gas-cap until you read the code and ran it. I think Laney filled up the L on 93 right before that, now that I think about it. :cool: :d
Ronald

Alright Ronald, blame it on poor Laney... shame on you... :hammer:

Tex Arcana
09-27-2004, 01:27 PM
well i have said some dumb things in the past, so i probably deserve it... but i think ya guys just get a mess out of kicking me... :D