PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424 Polisher

00Bolt
09-17-2004, 10:27 AM
does anyone have one of these or used one before... i heard its the best polisher out there.... I was gonna order one, they are about $120 online but wanted to get some opinons... thanks

andy_cain
09-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Had mine about 8 months...love it.
Got mine from Coastal tools online.
Make sure and get the foam pads for it (Steve at Tropicare has them):beer:
Mine gets used monthly...or Weekly:D

Nuhklz
09-17-2004, 10:57 AM
does anyone have one of these or used one before... i heard its the best polisher out there.... I was gonna order one, they are about $120 online but wanted to get some opinons... thanks
I bought one awhile back and wasn't impressed. I tried it and returned it.

Buy a good wax and do it by hand.

Just my $0.02

00Bolt
09-17-2004, 11:04 AM
can you give me some pointers/tips on how to use it...

thanks

andy_cain
09-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Get the foam pads, start around 2000 rpm and use less pressure as the polish drys.
Increase Rpm with your comfort level:tu:
Stay away from heavy cutting agents until you get used to it just to be on the safe side...foam pads are hard to go wrong with:beer:\

00Bolt
09-17-2004, 11:27 AM
so would i be ok just using my Zaino stuff with it??

00Bolt
09-17-2004, 02:06 PM
well im not too expierenced with the whole waxing thing period!!! i waxed my truck probably only enough to count on my 2 hands... and I dont think any of them I actually did it RIGHT...

should I use this PC to apply the wax?? then use it to buff off too???

how long should It try before I buff it off???

i think my problem in the past when doing by hand is, i didnt wait long enough to buff off, and it almost looks worse than before the wax...had discoloration and looked "foggy" in spots

dboat
09-18-2004, 03:06 AM
If you go here and buy the online book, it has video of how to do it.. plus a good site for reference. They routinely post reviews of products.
I have the same polisher and got it at Coastal as well. It is greatness.

Dana

http://www.autopia.org/

an article on how to use it

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

the free online book

http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=Books.htm

scott015
09-18-2004, 09:05 AM

00Bolt
09-18-2004, 09:06 AM
gonna order some pads from TropiCare... should I get the Yellow(50ppi) or the Black(80ppi) or both???

whats the differnce?

right now, all I have is Zaino z2 and z5 i think... so will these work good with this or do I need a whole differnt product?

andy_cain
09-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I use both the yellow and black foam pads....the yellow for more of a "Cutter" type agent and the black for basic polish.

Although I have used the "Z" with the 7424, I personally found Tropicare easier for "ME" to use.
If you plan on doing this....do yourself a big favor....
Do it right.., right from the start.:bows
On black vehicles, swirls and scratches look like sh]t on a white rag, take the time to clay bar it, then buff out the swirls and scratches the best you can before putting polish on top.
You will thank yourself in the long run for removing the swirls and scratches rather than trying to "fill" them.

On another note... if you are serious enough about how your "L" looks to buy a PC7424, don't short cut yourself...go ahead and spend the money on Waffle drying towels and micro fiber polish / polish removal towels and wash mit.:tu:
Otherwise....all the work you did removing the scratches on that shinny black truck will all be an exercise of futility the first time you wash and dry it with the old rags :beer:
The secret is not so much dependant on "a polish" as it is on "a process".

Might be fun one weekend to have a detail party :evil

00Bolt
09-18-2004, 10:14 AM
well i already got the MC towels and mit... thats a must...

so do yu just use the TC8 swirl cutter??? then use what after that??

dboat
09-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Who is really using the polisher? is it really you? or the hired help? :evil

Dana

p.s. Kim says HI

George G.
09-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Cant say they're the best....but it's the easiest polisher to use without the risk of swirl marks or marring due to the dual action movement. I use mine on a regular basis. I haven't used Tropicare, I use Meguiar's products with great results. You might want to check with Steve though cause not all products are formulated for use with a machine. Not that you cant use them, but you may not get the best results for that particular product since the Porter Cable still produces a certain amount of heat.

Lowes has the PC 7336 for $80.00 and it comes with a polishing pad (I think it's the velcro backing one too)

Lyfisin
09-20-2004, 01:09 PM
right now, all I have is Zaino z2 and z5 i think... so will these work good with this or do I need a whole differnt product?
Not sure my .02 is even worth that, but I wouldn't uze Zaino with a polisher. I think you'd end up with way too much wax on your L. I use less than 2 oz every time I wax my truck.

Brook

dboat
09-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Not sure my .02 is even worth that, but I wouldn't uze Zaino with a polisher. I think you'd end up with way too much wax on your L. I use less than 2 oz every time I wax my truck.

Brook

Use it for taking it off of your truck..
Dana

Lyfisin
09-22-2004, 07:57 AM
I must have misunderstood something. I thought he was going to use it with Z2 or Z5.

:confused:
Brook

00Bolt
09-22-2004, 08:33 AM
well i was going to use it with the z2 and/or z5 because thats the only wax I own... i didnt realize it wouldnt work well, thats why I asked before I tried it... i gonna order some stuff from tropi care

thanks guys... ill try and post some before and after pics of a few swirl marks to see how good this thing works once i figure it out.... i should recieve it on Friday

Lyfisin
09-22-2004, 08:50 AM
I didnt mean to imply it wouldn't work. I just meant you'd probably end up using too much polish and wasting it. As long as you left a very thin coat I would think it would be fine.

When I do my truck, I never use a circular motion either so I would avoid it just for that.

Good luck!

Brook