PDA

View Full Version : Best suspension for Lightning

r1eater
09-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Whats the best setup for the L? Rightnow I have 7 way adjustables but I want something better, the best..

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Ho'ws your handling right now? What are you looking for out of your suspension? ARe you wanting to road race, autocross, or drag? Or do you want limo-buttery-smooth? Also, are you lowered?

r1eater
09-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Ho'ws your handling right now? What are you looking for out of your suspension? ARe you wanting to road race, autocross, or drag? Or do you want limo-buttery-smooth? Also, are you lowered?

A little of all of the above. I've got a slight drop on the back. Rightnow the truck handles pretty damn good for a truck. I have it set pretty stiff though and I'd like to maybe get some of the stiffness out without giving up handling.

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 08:56 PM
A little of all of the above. I've got a slight drop on the back. Rightnow the truck handles pretty damn good for a truck. I have it set pretty stiff though and I'd like to maybe get some of the stiffness out without giving up handling.

Is it handling better than stock? What other mods to the suspension are you running? Who did your drops?

r1eater
09-08-2004, 08:57 PM
I got Waynes old truck. I'm not sure if its better than stock, I've never owned a stock one. I assume so it is though.

This is what it has on it..

1999 FORD SVT LIGHTNING # 688 OF 4000

Performance:

PSP 4# lower pulley
PSP Hi-Flow Filter Kit
PSP 90 MM MAF
PSP 4 way chip
Level 10 Shift Kit W/4X4 deep pan
Denso IT 24’s
Accufab S.B/T.B
Bassani catback exhaust
Bassani Equal Length Short Tube Headers
High flow Cats
ACPT Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft
Purple Ice - Intercooler/Radiator
JLP Drive shaft loop
(3) SPAL-7" Intercooler Fans
Electric Fan kit
Cobra R water pump
160 thermostat
NX Express 75 shot Wet Nitrous kit
PSP billet injection plate
AutoMeter Phantom electric pressure gauge
MT ET Streets 26X11.5X16 mounted on American Racing aluminum rims
American Racing 16X7 front runners
Rancho traction bars
9 Way adjustable shocks
Mobil 1 5/30 & ATF

Sound and Electronics:

Valentine One
Kenwood Excelon cd/mp3
Polk Audio 6X8’s F/R
600 watt Profile amp
Alpine MRP-200
MTX Thunderform w/2 10” Treo

Appearance:

Cervinis Ram Air hood
Carriage Works powder coated grills
Snug lid
Explorer Center Console Mod (custom glassed in top)
Bed Rug
"02" lights/Rims
Belltech 2" Shackles
Keyless door mod
Triple gauge pillar pod (water/oil/boost/NX pressure/AFR -Auto Meter
Phantom Gauges)
Lightning Velour floor mats

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 09:12 PM
I got Waynes old truck. I'm not sure if its better than stock, I've never owned a stock one. I assume so it is though.

This is what it has on it..

1999 FORD SVT LIGHTNING # 688 OF 4000

Performance:

PSP 4# lower pulley
PSP Hi-Flow Filter Kit
PSP 90 MM MAF
PSP 4 way chip
Level 10 Shift Kit W/4X4 deep pan
Denso IT 24’s
Accufab S.B/T.B
Bassani catback exhaust
Bassani Equal Length Short Tube Headers
High flow Cats
ACPT Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft
Purple Ice - Intercooler/Radiator
JLP Drive shaft loop
(3) SPAL-7" Intercooler Fans
Electric Fan kit
Cobra R water pump
160 thermostat
NX Express 75 shot Wet Nitrous kit
PSP billet injection plate
AutoMeter Phantom electric pressure gauge
MT ET Streets 26X11.5X16 mounted on American Racing aluminum rims
American Racing 16X7 front runners
Rancho traction bars
9 Way adjustable shocks
Mobil 1 5/30 & ATF

Sound and Electronics:

Valentine One
Kenwood Excelon cd/mp3
Polk Audio 6X8’s F/R
600 watt Profile amp
Alpine MRP-200
MTX Thunderform w/2 10” Treo

Appearance:

Cervinis Ram Air hood
Carriage Works powder coated grills
Snug lid
Explorer Center Console Mod (custom glassed in top)
Bed Rug
"02" lights/Rims
Belltech 2" Shackles
Keyless door mod
Triple gauge pillar pod (water/oil/boost/NX pressure/AFR -Auto Meter
Phantom Gauges)
Lightning Velour floor mats

okat... yer set up for drag. Since I'm no expert at drag setups, I can't say waht's been done to do it, or how to make it drag better.

Some things to consider, tho:

Lowering the suspension involves changes to the geometry of the control arms in front, and could adversely affect the handling and braking. Changing rims and tire sizes, especially changing overall diameters AND width/offests will adversely affect handling and braking.

What you really need to do is identify what you want the truck to do: do you want to open-track/autocross, or are you content to drag it? And, of course, the last thing to add here is money: how well do you want to handle??

r1eater
09-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Well I want it to AutoX well but not lose anything in the Drag department. As for money, I spent 1600 dollars on just the coilovers alone for my Audi so as long as I get what I pay for... I'm good with that.

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Well I want it to AutoX well but not lose anything in the Drag department. As for money, I spent 1600 dollars on just the coilovers alone for my Audi so as long as I get what I pay for... I'm good with that.

Okay... then find yourself a good shop that handles this stuff. I konw the principles (designing a suspension from the groud-up helps), but I do'nt konw the details on the Lightnings. I've not messed with mine yet because (besides the unemployment) I don't konw what's out there, and how they handle making the changes. As long as the geometry is right for the lowering, the scrub radius, and the caster/camber are right, then you should be fine. IF you're planning on going with other than stock rims, those will have to be taken into account.

YGPM.

EDIT: I forgot: spindles are critical, in that the tie rods should be as close to centered as possible between the ball jonts, for bump steer control.

WA 2 FST
09-08-2004, 10:54 PM
You probably cannot go wrong with the complete Roush suspension. This was just about the first mod I did to my '04. On my '99 I just had lowering springs in the front and some drop hangers in the rear. But I'm very glad I spent the extra $$ and did the Roush stuff on this one. Ride is as good as stock. Not harsh at all. Handling is far better. You will be running slicks or cheaters at the drag strip anyway, so I don't think lowering it a little bit will adversely affect your ability to hook up there. On street tires I'm sure you spin them at will, so it really doesn't matter.

The Roush dropped mine a full 2" front and 3" in the rear, but my '04 sits higher stock than your truck does/did.

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 11:02 PM
You probably cannot go wrong with the complete Roush suspension. This was just about the first mod I did to my '04. On my '99 I just had lowering springs in the front and some drop hangers in the rear. But I'm very glad I spent the extra $$ and did the Roush stuff on this one. Ride is as good as stock. Not harsh at all. Handling is far better. You will be running slicks or cheaters at the drag strip anyway, so I don't think lowering it a little bit will adversely affect your ability to hook up there. On street tires I'm sure you spin them at will, so it really doesn't matter.

The Roush dropped mine a full 2" front and 3" in the rear, but my '04 sits higher stock than your truck does/did.

links?

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 03:54 AM
http://www.roushparts.com/

PN00-3K000-RC, Suspension kit, 4x2, Regular Cab F150. There is no Lightning-specific kit. Works on all F150 reg. cab trucks. You can also get sway bars as well. This is just front and rear springs, revalved Bilstein shocks, and adjustable cam bolts. Easy DIY install.

Crawford
09-09-2004, 10:55 AM
I wish I would have gone with the Roush in the beginning. If you have the 48 inch lift bars on that truck the Roush will probably be too low. Also it lowers the front just enough that it will smack curbs if you pull up too close so you will have to be careful. I got to drive another TALON member's truck to the beer store once (full roush with hotchkis sway bars) and I was lovin it. Rides very close to stock but the handling was much improved. I had a blast doing doughnuts and taking corners on two wheels lemme tell ya. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

99WhiteBeast
09-09-2004, 01:54 PM
go with the Roush- Terry has them right now

Mark #2
09-09-2004, 03:11 PM
I wish I would have gone with the Roush in the beginning. If you have the 48 inch lift bars on that truck the Roush will probably be too low. Also it lowers the front just enough that it will smack curbs if you pull up too close so you will have to be careful. I got to drive Mark#2s (#2@Kressleys) truck to the beer store once (full roush with hotchkis sway bars) and I was lovin it. Rides very close to stock but the handling was much improved. I had a blast doing doughnuts and taking corners on two wheels lemme tell ya. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
I told you it was okay, you couldn't do anything to it I don't do everyday.:D
I am surprised that you noticed a big difference. I've only riden in or driven my truck and Sixpipes though, both with Roush. The sway bars are the best improvement if you don't want to lower.

(backing down a boat ramp not included in driving experience)

Tex Arcana
09-09-2004, 04:32 PM
I told you it was okay, you couldn't do anything to it I don't do everyday.:D
I am surprised that you noticed a big difference. I've only riden in or driven my truck and Sixpipes though, both with Roush. The sway bars are the best improvement if you don't want to lower.

(backing down a boat ramp not included in driving experience)

Okay, time for your daily dose of :ron:... tell the story about the boat ramp, the hell with Rocks and his sandy anatomy... :d

Mark #2
09-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Okay, time for your daily dose of :ron:... tell the story about the boat ramp, the hell with Rocks and his sandy anatomy... :d
Nothing exciting here, I drove one other Lightning too, Doug's truck, backing down the boat ramp. So no suspension relevance.

I have plenty of boat ramp :ron:stories though, but that is another tread.

Tex Arcana
09-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Nothing exciting here, I drove one other Lightning too, Doug's truck, backing down the boat ramp. So no suspension relevance.

I have plenty of boat ramp :ron:stories though, but that is another tread.

Lookie here, I'm busy in the middle of a
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/HIJACKED-SPANGE.jpg,
so get back with the hijack, and tell us some semi-relevant boat-ramp story... :d

Mark #2
09-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Lookie here, I'm busy in the middle of a
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/HIJACKED-SPANGE.jpg,
so get back with the hijack, and tell us some semi-relevant boat-ramp story... :d
Okay, so this one time when I used to go to Lake Lavon 2-3 times/week, we saw this white convertible Cadillac backing down a sailboat that had about a 4 foot fixed keel. This was a shallow ramp at East Fork. I had just put my boat in the water and offered to disconnect my trailer and back the sailboat in with the K5, understanding how far down the ramp they would have to go into the water to get the sailboat to float off the trailer.

Response “No thanks, we know what we are doing”. In that tone of voice of like “why don’t you mind your own business”. It was very clear that they didn’t have a clue.

So I parked truck and trailer jumped in my boat went water skiing for about an hour and half, typical after work ski outing, come back to the ramp and what do we see… a white convertible Cadillac under water. Apparently, they backed down the boat ramp a little far and hit the green slimy stuff and slid into the lake. Just like I thought they would.

Then they come over to me and ask if I can pull them out with the K5. I responded with:

Me: “I thought you knew what you were doing?”

Them: “We thought so too”

Me: :rll:

So I pulled them out, for the standard WWFB price.

Tex Arcana
09-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Okay, so this one time when I used to go to Lake Lavon 2-3 times/week, we saw this white convertible Cadillac backing down a sailboat that had about a 4 foot fixed keel. This was a shallow ramp at East Fork. I had just put my boat in the water and offered to disconnect my trailer and back the sailboat in with the K5, understanding how far down the ramp they would have to go into the water to get the sailboat to float off the trailer.

Response “No thanks, we know what we are doing”. In that tone of voice of like “why don’t you mind your own business”. It was very clear that they didn’t have a clue.

So I parked truck and trailer jumped in my boat went water skiing for about an hour and half, typical after work ski outing, come back to the ramp and what do we see… a white convertible Cadillac under water. Apparently, they backed down the boat ramp a little far and hit the green slimy stuff and slid into the lake. Just like I thought they would.

Then they come over to me and ask if I can pull them out with the K5. I responded with:

Me: “I thought you knew what you were doing?”

Them: “We thought so too”

Me: :rll:

So I pulled them out, for the standard WWFB price.

BWAHAHAHAHA!
:rll: x 10^eleventybillion!!

That was PRICELESS! Wish you had pics of that thing sliding into the slime!!

Damned good :ron:.. you make Ronald proud!! :D

r1eater
09-09-2004, 07:07 PM
go with the Roush- Terry has them right now

How low will that be

Mark #2
09-09-2004, 10:08 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA!
:rll: x 10^eleventybillion!!

That was PRICELESS! Wish you had pics of that thing sliding into the slime!!

Damned good :ron:.. you make Ronald proud!! :D
Okay, thanks but Doug and I have both posted :ron: in the same day. This is not good.:D Now if ya'll want to do the dancer thing next...,oh never mind.

my2002lightning
09-09-2004, 10:25 PM
You L heathens are starting to get the hang of the :ron: !

Proud of ya'! :D

Silver_2000
09-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Okay, thanks but Doug and I have both posted :ron: in the same day. This is not good.:D Now if ya'll want to do the dancer thing next...,oh never mind.
When did you back mine at the ramp ???

Talon lake day ??? Must have been ...

Mark #2
09-10-2004, 08:01 AM
When did you back mine at the ramp ???

Talon lake day ??? Must have been ...
Nope, it was just you and me and then we picked up Garrett later.