PDA

View Full Version : Move Over - Slow Down

Silver_2000
09-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Guys New Traffic Law is targeted for more enforcement

new state law as of September 1, 2003. From the TX DPS website, the law reads:

SB 193 requires drivers nearing a stopped emergency vehicle that has lights activated, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, to: Vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle, if the highway has two or more lanes traveling the direction of the emergency vehicle; or Slow to a speed not more than 20 miles per hour (mph) less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 mph or more; or Slow to a speed not more than five mph when the posted speed limit is less than 25 mph. A violation is a punishable by a maximum fine of $200. If the violation results in property damage, the maximum fine increases to $500. If the violation results in bodily injury, the offense is enhanced to a Class B misdemeanor.

PoorSvtman
09-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Yea that law has been around for awhile. In a way theres problems with it. Sometimes you just cant move over and slow down on a damn highway.. I always move over anyway if i can safely do so.

I know its supposed to help protect the cops, but i mean if a cop is dumb enough to step out of his car with out pulling over as far as he can to safely get out he diserves to get hit in my opinion. I have yet to see a cop on 20 pull over close to the outside edge of the shoulder. They always park right on the line of the shoulder and highway and usualy crooked as hell....

Tex Arcana
09-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Yea that law has been around for awhile. In a way theres problems with it. Sometimes you just cant move over and slow down on a damn highway.. I always move over anyway if i can safely do so.

I know its supposed to help protect the cops, but i mean if a cop is dumb enough to step out of his car with out pulling over as far as he can to safely get out he diserves to get hit in my opinion. I have yet to see a cop on 20 pull over close to the outside edge of the shoulder. They always park right on the line of the shoulder and highway and usualy crooked as hell....

THey do that to protect the person they pulled over, as well as themselves. You'll also notice that, if they have the driver step out of the car, they have them stand off the shoulder in the grass, out of the line of the cars, for that very reason.

bobbywade69
09-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Damn I thought thats when I punch it 2 have a good chance of gettin away with it!!:D :evil

03LightningRocks
09-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Damn I thought thats when I punch it 2 have a good chance of gettin away with it!!:D :evil

Yeah....me too. I thought seeing someone else pulled over was the "all clear" signal. Time to roll...so to speak.

J/K.........For real though, they do try to block the traffic from the pulled over vehicle. Some ass clowns don't pull far enough off the road when they get stopped, so it leaves the cop having to stop just at the edge of the highway.
I usually pull over to the furthest edge of the shoulder from the highway. Sometimes I even get on the grass a foot or so. This is to keep my arse from getting wacked by a roving driver.

I heard something on a news channel once about it being human nature to steer the vehicle in the direction your looking. Watch it sometimes when your cruising down the road. You'll notice the car in the right lane ahead of you will pitch just a hair to the left(driver looking in rear view), then the vehicle will straighten out for a second or two, then here he comes, into the left lane.

Apparently, too many dip shits have driven right into the rear end of emergency vehicles while staring at the pretty lights.

Rocks

PoorSvtman
09-06-2004, 11:29 AM
THey do that to protect the person they pulled over, as well as themselves. You'll also notice that, if they have the driver step out of the car, they have them stand off the shoulder in the grass, out of the line of the cars, for that very reason.

I understand that, but drive threw arlington. Arlington cops arent to smart. They baiscly stay parked on the main lane of the highway and will get out of there car with the drivers door opening up into the highway..... I have had it happen to me a few times and i couldnt change lanes cause traffic was so bad or no one would let me over. In that case the cop is asking to get nailed.

Silver_2000
09-06-2004, 12:26 PM
I understand that, but drive threw arlington. Arlington cops arent to smart. They baiscly stay parked on the main lane of the highway and will get out of there car with the drivers door opening up into the highway..... I have had it happen to me a few times and i couldnt change lanes cause traffic was so bad or no one would let me over. In that case the cop is asking to get nailed.
Mike

If you cant move over and leave an empty lane next to them you have to slow down or take the chance to be ticketed...

Doug