PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you want to keep your warranty?

dboat
08-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I have always wanted to keep the original warranty and then even buy the extended warranty on the L. I just plan to keep it for awhile and enjoy it, especially since its paid off. :nana2

Having said that, my conundrum is that I would like to always go faster yet not void the warranty or at least, give the dealer a reason to void the warrranty. I have always thought that if I chip and pulley, there goes the warranty, well it would go if someone had a chance to make that happen.

So, with the handheld SCT units and Apten blowers, I am thinking that I can do that to get away with more power and still pass muster for warranty purposes. Well it wont be obvious that modding has taken place.

So, I ask everyone, what can you do for performance mods, that wont void your warranty? Also, what kind of performance can you get with an Apten and a SCT hand unit, with a filter, etc? Of course keeping the stock pulleys on.
My mods are listed below, but would like to hear from others and Terry. I might have to drive her back to Dallas to have Terry do the work since I dont trust anyone else to do it right.
Dana

Sixpipes
08-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Dana,

I think probably the most important thing is finding a dealership that is user friendly. Warranty issues seem to be dealership specific so I would ask around before choosing a dealership and find one that guys in the Lightning community use on a regular basis. I have had good luck with Bankston in Frisco, but that doesn't really help you much.

I have heard of warranties being voided by some dealerships for really minor performance things while some guys with major mods seem to get by without any problems. :cool:

Shiner1
08-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Just from experience I have taken my truck to Ford country here in Lewisville for several issues. Example, I blew two relays under the hood when I was installing my E-fan, I have broken two lugs at the track and the last problem was the clutch on the a/c compressor locked up. All three times the service writer has told me "As long as you don't come in here with a blown motor or tranny, I'll cover it" and they fixed all three itmes free of charge. Also, twisted the gas cap in two and they covered that. I guess we will see what their attitude is if the problem is major. I think Six is right. Find a friendly dealer.

dboat
08-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Well, I agree with the two of you except there are only two Ford dealers up here and only 4 or 5 L's. So I am not sure of who if anyone is going to be mod friendly. My thought is to go Apten and SCT with my current mods and then it looks stock and the program can be stock for the visit to the dealer with a quick return back to a higher level of tune.
Dana

Shiner1
08-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Ford country is not an SVT dealer. Maybe they are not up to speed on all the things that an SVT dealer may see everyday. If the dealer there is not used to seeing L's they my overlook chips and such..

my2002lightning
08-30-2004, 10:01 PM
Dana,

I asked the Svc. Mgr. at Bankston / Frisco recently about the ESP and "warranty friendly" mods as I'm at 24K miles.

He basically said almost anything short of a chip/pulley and anything that directly attributes to a failure is covered but it is ultimately up to the Svc. Writer that SVT sends in to decide yay-or-nay on the issue.

How's that for a definitive answer? :cool: I'm sure everyone here figured that one.

BTW, you had your L in for the tie-rod inspection thing yet? Mine passed muster.

Ronald

wesman
08-31-2004, 09:05 AM
I'd say your best bet is an Apten and the SCT tune. You could even change the pulley on the blower to get a little more ummpphhh without it being obvious to the dealer (well, no more obvious that the SC being changed)

--wes

Silver_2000
08-31-2004, 09:10 AM
BTW, you had your L in for the tie-rod inspection thing yet? Mine passed muster.

Ronald
How much did that cost ??

my2002lightning
08-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Didn't cost a thing. But then again, I just clicked over 24K miles.

How much did that cost ??