PDA

View Full Version : Open air filter vs. enclosed? Opinions?

L-Fever
08-17-2004, 11:10 AM
I have been reading a lot of threads on the other fourms about open element air filter system's vs. enclosed systems. I have tried both the modified stock box and 12" cone open filters, but, I was curious and wanted to hear what the Talon members run/recommend/opinions/likes/dislikes/etc. and what you think? :confused:

99WhiteBeast
08-17-2004, 11:25 AM
IMO the enclosed like Airraid are the best. They keep out the hot engine air and fan wash. There was a huge thread about six months back on NLOC where a guy measured all the intake temps of various cold air kits.

I'll see if I can dig it up-it was an interesting read.

L-Fever
08-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Steve, can you run a 12" open ended cone filter on the airaid setup?

IMO the enclosed like Airraid are the best. They keep out the hot engine air and fan wash. There was a huge thread about six months back on NLOC where a guy measured all the intake temps of various cold air kits.

I'll see if I can dig it up-it was an interesting read.

Shiner1
08-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Steve, can you run a 12" open ended cone filter on the airaid setup?
Yep...I'm running that set up right now.

SpeedyBolt
08-17-2004, 12:54 PM
I run a MAC cold air kit that I bought from RPM Outlet. It has a shield to keep the engine heat away but it not fully enclosed like some I have seen. I really likr this kit, it has the big mass air housing in stainless and also a a type of ventury to help the air flow faster into the mass-air housing. Kighly recommended part. I also recommend never buying anything from RPM outlet but for other reasons!!!!!!

L-Fever
08-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Yep...I'm running that set up right now.

Thanks! that's good info! It looked like you could from the pictures. I'm running the REM 12" cheapo kit, which I'm not too impressed with the quality.

Tex Arcana
08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
I have been reading a lot of threads on the other fourms about open element air filter system's vs. enclosed systems. I have tried both the modified stock box and 12" cone open filterx, but, I was curious and wanted to hear what the Talon members run/recommend/opinions/likes/dislikes/etc. and what you think? :confused:

There's a reason the open setups are called "hot-air intakes"... :vomit:

In two words: they suck. If you want "cold air", you canNOT pull air from the engine bay, since it is going to be HOT, and we already have issues with heaating the intake air as it is, why compound it??

dboat
08-17-2004, 05:39 PM
the underhood air becomes the same temp as the outside air in a second or two once you get going.. I dont think there is a huge difference.
Dana

If I remember correctly, Terry has done testing with temp sensors to prove this point.

Sandman
08-17-2004, 06:04 PM
I agree with Tex. Check out this link.. the site itself has a ton of useful info: http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/powertrain/cold_air.htm

I personally like the psp fastair. It has a scoop that feeds the air in from right under the bumper.

Tex Arcana
08-17-2004, 06:08 PM
This is not correct. Check out this link.. the site itself has a ton of useful info: http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/powertrain/cold_air.htm

I personally like the psp fastair. It has a scoop that feeds the air in from right under the bumper.

I've been working on something in my head for cold air, and I keep leaning toward that shaker hood setup for some odd reason... :D

Also, I like Ken Cryder's setup, where he's plumbed the foglight openings into his airbox. Nice job there, and he says he gets a nice ram-air effect from it, which helps the fuel milage on the highway. ;)

Tex Arcana
08-17-2004, 06:10 PM
I agree with Tex. Check out this link.. the site itself has a ton of useful info: http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/powertrain/cold_air.htm

no ninja for j00... :tongue:

my2002lightning
08-17-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm running the open design 12" cone-filter, but am looking to go to an AirRaid for the simple fact of keeping more hot air from entering the intake.

L-Fever
08-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for! :bows

skalywags
08-17-2004, 07:29 PM
the underhood air becomes the same temp as the outside air in a second or two once you get going.. I dont think there is a huge difference.
Dana

If I remember correctly, Terry has done testing with temp sensors to prove this point.
this is so true. Maybe this becomes mor of an issue when waiting in lines at the track, or having the hot air when sitting at he light. once your going that air has to be as cool as the air outside teh truck. it's just a matter of one flowing better.

L8 APEX
08-17-2004, 07:41 PM
I did this long ago and can show you if you would like in your own truck. I use basic 12" filters. These engines need a lot of air and an Airaid kit blocks the filter to the OEM fender opening which is chokes it. As long as you are rolling the intake air is within 2' of ambient. When you stop and idle both kits heat up about the same. It is all hype but folks are pretty set on their beliefs.

03LightningRocks
08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Funny thing.......I did the same tests and about as quick as I got rolling the intake temps dropped to ambient temps...give or take 2 degrees.

That 3 inch hole that you restrict the air too is alot more of a hinderance than the 2 degrees difference is.
It has never made any sense to me to spend money taking the stock filter set up out and then to go right back to the very restriction you had with stock, by putting a box back around it....The only difference now, you have a different shaped filter.

Rocks:D

ken cryder
08-19-2004, 01:19 PM
I did this long ago and can show you if you would like in your own truck. I use basic 12" filters. These engines need a lot of air and an Airaid kit blocks the filter to the OEM fender opening which is chokes it. As long as you are rolling the intake air is within 2' of ambient. When you stop and idle both kits heat up about the same. It is all hype but folks are pretty set on their beliefs.
terry i was wondering if you think the set up i have would actually lower the temp or just a waste . i run the stock air box with a k&n filter . a ram air into the side and in the bottom of the box i set in a heater core wich has cold water running through it . and to get more air flow i cut out the bottom to let the air from behind the head light pass through the heater core before entering the motor . so whatcha think ?

ken

Tex Arcana
08-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Funny thing.......I did the same tests and about as quick as I got rolling the intake temps dropped to ambient temps...give or take 2 degrees.

That 3 inch hole that you restrict the air too is alot more of a hinderance than the 2 degrees difference is.
It has never made any sense to me to spend money taking the stock filter set up out and then to go right back to the very restriction you had with stock, by putting a box back around it....The only difference now, you have a different shaped filter.

Rocks:D

My issue is, most of your driving isn't fast enough to make too much of a difference in evacuating underhood heat, and when you come to a stop, the heat builds back up, which just can't be good for anything. Now, I agree with you, the fender hole is definitely a restriction, but I think the little snorkel from that to the stock airbox chokes it off even more.

What I would like to know is, how many people have enlarged the fender opening? I've seen Ken's setup, and it's very nice.

99WhiteBeast
08-19-2004, 09:39 PM
My issue is, most of your driving isn't fast enough to make too much of a difference in evacuating underhood heat, and when you come to a stop, the heat builds back up, which just can't be good for anything. Now, I agree with you, the fender hole is definitely a restriction, but I think the little snorkel from that to the stock airbox chokes it off even more.

What I would like to know is, how many people have enlarged the fender opening? I've seen Ken's setup, and it's very nice.
I didn't enlarge the fender hole but bring in cold air from underneath the air dam into the bottom of the box.

Tex Arcana
08-19-2004, 10:00 PM
I didn't enlarge the fender hole but bring in cold air from underneath the air dam into the bottom of the box.

NOt bad... more data for the mental computer to grind on in my quest for the ultimate cold-air setup... ;)

my2002lightning
08-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, two of my main reasons with thinking about going with the AirRaid versus the open 12' cone-filter design are mainly:

1) I've driven in the rain before and have seen rain drops/water spots on the underside of my hood and don't figure it's a good idea getting water sloppin' around the intake;

2) I figure anything keeping the hot air from the intake is a good thing while its flowing ALOT of air.

All I know is going from a completely bone-stock intake to just a 12" cone air-filter was a hulluva' kick in the a$$ relatively speaking with respect to throttle response and blower-whine.