Search - 15 seconds between searches
Picture links in Signatures and in posts
Avatars - Less than 15k bytes and less than 100 pixels by 100 pixels
Multiple Style options - Changes the "look" of the forum
Polls - 5 options
New member Email notification- Alerts me to trouble
Floodcheck - 45 seconds between posts

Disabled

File attachements - Since PHP has been updated to fix the security problems I reenabled file attachments to see what effect it has on the database size and the server,

Ratings - Little value - High server load-

Doug

Logan
03-22-2002, 06:53 PM
I've found that the file attachments aren't a problem so long as you limit the size to less than 100k. I've got forums with over 1200 photos in them with no problems.

Besides, just resell yourself some more bandwidth. Come on... :D

Silver_2000
03-22-2002, 11:14 PM
I am willing to spend between $20 and $40 a month out of my pocket for the hosting. Once it gets over that I am going to scale back.

We'll here is the sad saga of SVTlightings.com bandwidth.. After removing 1/2 of the movies from the movies page - I am on track to use 30 gig + this month. I just redueced the movies by half again. Thanks to the better stats the new host provides I should be able to track down where the bandwidth is being used.

So to summarize the only plan available with 30 gig a month is $64.95 a month. And we havent begun to factor in the bandwdth required to move the 4th busiest forum from NLOC. So I am trying to act responsibly and plan ahead... We'll see how this month goes and continue to tweak. As logan Menioned I can resell my slef 20 gig of bandwidth pretty cheap but the management of the various separate accounts will get complicated. What I'll likely do is look at where the bandwidth is in the stats and move it to a subdomain on a new account and have an aggregate 35 gig of bandwidth between the accounts... We'll see..

I am pretty happy with the responsiveness of the server so far ... ;)

Doug

Moonshine
03-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
I am willing to spend between $20 and $40 a month out of my pocket for the hosting. Once it gets over that I am going to scale back.

We'll here is the sad saga of SVTlightings.com bandwidth.. After removing 1/2 of the movies from the movies page - I am on track to use 30 gig + this month. I just redueced the movies by half again. Thanks to the better stats the new host provides I should be able to track down where the bandwidth is being used.

So to summarize the only plan available with 30 gig a month is $64.95 a month. And we havent begun to factor in the bandwdth required to move the 4th busiest forum from NLOC. So I am trying to act responsibly and plan ahead... We'll see how this month goes and continue to tweak. As logan Menioned I can resell my slef 20 gig of bandwidth pretty cheap but the management of the various separate accounts will get complicated. What I'll likely do is look at where the bandwidth is in the stats and move it to a subdomain on a new account and have an aggregate 35 gig of bandwidth between the accounts... We'll see..

Doug

Um, you might as well be writing Swahili for all I got out of that. As far as I'm concerned, if Doug's willing to put in the time and effort, the rest of us should at least cover his $$ expenses. Already mailed my check to Go_Rila, but if you need more just shout.

J.D. Blackwell
03-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Doug, I am sure every TALON member would like to donate to the extra $ it is costing you to do everything. Just let me know how much you need me to donate. Just hope it isn't more than $1,000.:rolleyes:

Silver_2000
03-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the support guys but this is my bed ( so far ) and Ill sleep in it.

I only posted the details so that everyone would have an idea of some of the background. Even if you dont get all the acronyms you at least understand the basics.

To summarize: I have made LOTS of CHANGES.
Hosts-
features-
Forums
Banner ads-
I am going to let them settle for a couple weeks and analyze the stats and see where I can make changes to optimize what we already have. This all started as a way for me to learn "Web Stuff" we'll now we are working on "Web Stuff" graduate school and before I ask for any more help I want to be sure that all the previous work is correct.

So for now all I ask is you buy me the occaisonal beer at Hooters and listen to my *****ing till I get it sorted out.

Doug

J.D. Blackwell
03-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Quote by the big man "So for now all I ask is you buy me the occaisonal beer at Hooters and listen to my *****ing till I get it sorted out."

Well Doug, you better get ready to drink up at the next meeting, because I already owe you at least 2 beers for helping me out about posting pictures. Better take a taxi or ride with someone.

:D

Sixpipes
03-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!

Doug

Damn, you read my mind. :p

Actionpike
04-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Everything works great.

Silver_2000
04-06-2002, 09:32 PM
ttt

OneRedTXBolt
06-11-2002, 07:37 AM
Doug,

Those hosting charges seem a little steep. You could get your own dedicated server @ Rackshack for $99 a month, and that includes 60GB of space and 400GB of transfer monthly. It also includes EnSim software that would allow you to resell your additional info if you wanted to. You'd need some additional software to handle the billing, but... That's the route I am hoping to go within the next couple of months. I have learned a bit about reselling and am doing a little hosting on the side myself.

Maybe you could get enough sponsorship to get you up to $99 a month? :) Seems like it wouldn't be too hard, with the traffic you get and the dedicated member base you have. :)

James

PS (I finally got a decent inet connection again... Whoah - only 3500+ emails left to read! Yow!)

Silver_2000
06-11-2002, 08:36 AM
http://www.rackshack.net/flagshipmain.asp
There is only one type of server available for $99 and it has unknown ensim software on it...

The Plesk servers have $349 setup fee and are sold out... The reason they are sold out is because that is the best management software they offer.

The support I get from Ventures Online ROCKS. I am a reseller of accounts there... I dont know jack about *nix and untill I know more I wont be getting a dedicated server for my sites....

Doug