PDA

View Full Version : Newest salvo in the Lightning/Ram SRT-10 wars...

Tex Arcana
07-09-2004, 11:55 AM
I just got this from a freind... looks to me like Ford is itching to slug it out with the SloRamTruck... those C/D numbers don't seem right, but who am I to argue?? I still discount alot of it 'til I see a fair and balanced head-to-head test.

Anyway... the best bit is at the bottom of page one, which gives a LOT of hope for the modding crowd. :D

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/407lightning-1.jpg

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/407lightning-2.jpg

TreeFiddy
07-09-2004, 08:46 PM
I love the fact that Ford is using numbers that, if anything, are biased in Dodge's favor. It must be priceless seeing the look on the Dodge owner's face when you smack him on the street or at the track.

Sandman
07-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Have any higher resolution images???

Tex Arcana
07-10-2004, 04:33 AM
Have any higher resolution images???
I do, the originals, but the image uploader here didn't like them (even tho the first one was only 260k).

WA 2 FST
07-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Whether the C/D track #s are right or not (seem slow for both trucks) what you do see is that the Ram is .1 faster in the 1/4 and yet it makes 120hp more than the L. The Ram has ZERO functionality. I've said it many times to friends and fellow enthusiasts... the Lightning is THE definition of "Sport/Utility" (certainly not the Expedition that's also in my driveway...which is nothing more than a glorified station-wagon). The L is fast/quick and can actually be used as a truck. As "cool" as the Syclone/SRT-10/454SS are, they are basically a high-HP motor in a body of a truck, but the rest of the typical truck's attributes are gone.

I applaud Dodge for putting that engine in a short-bed, reg. cab truck. I think they made several mistakes, however. 1) transmission. Should have been an auto. The truck would be quicker down the 1/4 mile. 2) no towing capacity and too light of a payload capacity. I guess they are using a suspension/wheel-tire package that will not allow it, but that truck with that much power should be able to tow a house. Why not be a little less hardcore on the handling side and give the buyer some real "utility" in his purchase. Otherwise, he might as well go buy a used Viper. They seat the same number of people and the car is much more prestigious.

SpeedyBolt
07-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I have seen one of those dodges run at kennedale and only posted a 8.81. My Lightning is runnig 8.7's with just a cat back. Besides if the Lightning had 4.10 gears it would run those times also.

WA 2 FST
07-12-2004, 04:10 PM
8.8s? That is pathetic.

My old '99 ran 8.4s (13.2 1/4) with a chip, filter and a shift kit.

TreeFiddy
07-13-2004, 03:29 AM
8.8s? That is pathetic.

My old '99 ran 8.4s (13.2 1/4) with a chip, filter and a shift kit.

The two that I've seen at Denton didn't break into the 8's.

rickgig
07-13-2004, 08:33 AM
If y'all remember my post a couple of months back about "there's goes the neighborhood", I had an SRT-10 across the street from when I came home from work one day... I am in Frisco and the guy was a contractor from Arlington... (window tinting). I went over and talked to the guy and looked at the truck... gotta admit it is a good looking truck with a decent interior. He was planning on putting a supercharger in it. Funny thing was he really ragged on the mileage he was getting, 10 and that was it. No matter what he did... he couldn't get anything better.

It was kind of funny that all he was carrying in the back was a ladder. He had traded his z06 in for it and said he wished he kept the Vette. But also admitted he could never carry a ladder in the Vette either.

Okay... none of bought our trucks based on mileage figures and neither did he but if I had bought my L just to get 10MPG when I should get better... I would have been hacked off too.

The slick above is pretty cool... I'd like to get a hi-res version so I can print it off just for the heck of it.