PDA

View Full Version : Question for Gen 1 experts.

Shiner1
07-09-2004, 11:55 AM
I've been looking for a Gen1 (going to sell my 2003) I found one in AZ. It's a Red 95 with 18,000 miles. The owner says it's all stock except for an aftermarket radio/cd. Everyting is in execellent shape. He is asking $14,000.00

Opinions?

john

Wht95Lightning
07-09-2004, 01:20 PM
That's a pretty big price but that particular truck may be worth it to the right buyer. You can buy a very nice Gen 1 (with more miles) for a whole lot less $.
It cames down to why do you want the truck and what do you plan to do with it?
If you want it as a garage queen that will never be modded with hopes that someday it will increase in value then that's a lot different than if you plan to use it as a daily driver and modify the hell out of it.

my .02

L8 APEX
07-09-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't think it will ever be worth more than that if it makes sense.. That is a premuim price for sure, but the miles are LOW. Remember with a 100K mile truck you have about 2K in maintenance to make it driveable. I would hook up with soemone and drive a gen 1 to make sure you want it as a daily driver. The cabs are smaller and they ride rougher. I drive with my seat all the way back to the window. I'll be selling a very nice white 94 in the fall for @$10K.

Shiner1
07-09-2004, 03:01 PM
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Yes, It will be a daily driver. No garage queen here. I was looking for one with low miles in hopes of it being in better shape than one that may have been run into the ground because it will be a daily driver. I didn't want to put a lot of $$$ in one to make it dependable. Anyone want to loan me their Gen 1 for the weekend:evil

Sixpipes
07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Yes, It will be a daily driver. No garage queen here. I was looking for one with low miles in hopes of it being in better shape than one that may have been run into the ground because it will be a daily driver. I didn't want to put a lot of $$$ in one to make it dependable. Anyone want to loan me their Gen 1 for the weekend:evil
Mine has 132K miles and drives really nice. $14K is a lot of moola particularly if you plan on driving it alot. I would take a lot less for POP-I, but am not actively trying to sell. You're more than welcome to take it for a spin sometime. :cool:

Shiner1
07-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Mine has 132K miles and drives really nice. $14K is a lot of moola particularly if you plan on driving it alot. I would take a lot less for POP-I, but am not actively trying to sell. You're more than welcome to take it for a spin sometime. :cool:
I'll take you up on that.. Thanks for feed back guys. If I can't talk this o' boy down some, I'll shop else where.

02BOLT
07-10-2004, 11:56 AM
I'll take you up on that.. Thanks for feed back guys. If I can't talk this o' boy down some, I'll shop else where.
John,

Being that she only has 18K on her ticker, and is 9 years old, should mean that she has aquired very little in the way of wear and tear. I would also assume with that mileage, that she's been garage kept. The Gen 1's seem to age well, as is evidenced by Steve, Dennis, and Terry's trucks, which all have upwards of 90K-100K miles on them. Sure they run great, but they will all be looking at some sort of a rebuild within the relatively near future.

In my humble opinion, there is DEFINITELY something to be said for LOW miles. That truck should be fricking IMMACULATE! With 18K, That works out to around a whopping 2K miles per YEAR! The bottom end and tranny in that truck should be good for another 100K plus, miles of trouble free operation easily (with or without mods).

My Gen 1 (Red 93) has 36K miles, fresh paint, and is in PERFECT condition. I would not dream of letting her go for a dime less than 14K. That's just me.

If that truck checks out, and is as clean as the mileage suggests it should be, then I'd think long and hard before casting it aside. 18K miles is next to nothing!:tu: Gen 1 L's with mileage that low are few and far between!:burnout:

Take care,
Rob

99WhiteBeast
07-10-2004, 11:59 AM
John,

I would look in the range of 7500-10k with decent milage. I got mine for $8500 with 83K on the ticker and have put 14k on it this past year as a daily driver with absolutely no issues.

Now with that said the tranny decided to puke yesterday (leaking fluid) with 97K on it. I don't think it is serious however-maybe just a front pump seal.

You're welcome to drive mine once she's running again.

A trip to L fest and you'll see some very sweet G1's and maybe a few for sale.

TXBLU
07-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Terry, no offence but it's an unfounded assumption that just because a vehicle has 100k miles on it that it will need $2k in repairs to make it a "driveable". My '93 had 211k miles on it when I sold it, and it needed NOTHING to be a dependable daily driver. The original factory paint was still in excellent condition. The shocks, brakes, tires, and suspension bushings (100% urethane) had at least half of thier service life left in them. The exhaust was fine (stock), the transmission had been rebuilt at 136k miles, and the ring and pinion gears were replaced at 160k miles. I got $7000.00 for it and the kid that bought it has had no problems with it since January '02. I wonder what he could have spent $4000.00 on just to make it "driveable". Some folks actually take really good care of their vehicles. Then again, some folks don't at all. I'm just saying that you have to go by the individual vehicle, not an arbitrary mileage number, to determine a vehicle's value.

Sixpipes
07-10-2004, 05:35 PM
I think paying over $10K for a Gen I is crazy unless someone has dumped a bunch of money into the vehicle for performance purposes. A stock Gen I for $14K is just too much money for what you get IMO. You can buy a high-mileage stock truck in great shape for $5,000-$6,000. You can put $4,000 into it (if you have to) and have a better than new truck for $10K with a completely rebuilt drivetrain. I personally don't see paying big bucks for a stock low-mileage truck if the intent is to use it for a daily driver.

I do know you can buy a Gen I with blower already installed cheaper than you can do it yourself. :cool:

Shiner1
07-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Well, armed with this information I'm in the market for a G1. Thanks for all the input.

skalywags
07-17-2004, 10:57 AM
look at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6219&item=2484324411&rd=1

Shiner1
07-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Thought I would update everyone on the Gen 1 search. To start with, the reason I was going to sell my '03 was for my/wife's business. We own two child care centers and we are in the process of buying a third in Houston. I needed about $25,000.00 quick. I had a couple of other sources to draw from but a steep penalty would be the end result. The easiest opition was to sell the L. As it turns out things have taken a turn for the better. We don't need the cash for Houston and I'm keeping my L. Actually my wife was kind of upset at me for even talking about selling it but I was trying to do what I thought was right. It pays to have a wife that likes L's as much as I do. Thanks for everyone's input. It's great to be a member of a club like ours.....:tu:

02BOLT
08-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Congrats Bro!:tu: Glad you got to keep her!:burnout: