PDA

View Full Version : SpikeTV: Lightning v. SRT-10 this evening.

my2002lightning
06-12-2004, 04:41 PM
I understand they're going to be lining them up.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159498

The show-schedule: http://www.spiketv.com/schedule/schedule.jhtml?dayPart=evening
Tivo's set as we're going to the TMS/Bombadier 500. :nana2

Oh yeah, Laney's driving the L this evening. :cool: I just feel like I have the cross-hairs on me in that county.:crying:

Ronald

Shiner1
06-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Stacy David (the host) ran a bit about "Muscle trucks" and where they started. He began with a '70 dodge called the Dude. He spoke well about the L and then a bit on the Joe Gibbs chebby. IMO that is a sweet truck. Magna charger, 5 speed, single cab and about the same $$ as the L. Then he went to the SRT. He spoke well of all three. His final comments in response to the SRT was that Ford was not going to take this lying down. I'd much rather have the JG chebby than the SRT.

99WhiteBeast
06-13-2004, 05:38 AM
We must have just missed it. I started watching at 7:15pm and caught the next episode at 7:30 and didn't see anything.

Was it on the show with the build up of the Vortech/Procharger on the White Supercrew?

I'm pretty sure it replays this morning during the "powerblock" hours.

99WhiteBeast
06-13-2004, 05:47 AM
The pricing I've seen on the JG Cheby's was like 38K for the short bed and like 42K for the super cab. They had a JG Tahoe or some other SUV out at the PowerTour last week with a 48K sticker on it:eek:

Looks to be a decent truck with respectable power numbers quoted (395HP/425TQ) but the drive belt and blower belt are all one.

I'm not sure you could go with a larger crank pulley without having to do sometype of underdrives/overdrives to spin all the accesories correctly.

Sandman
06-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Just saw the show. They did a pretty good job of objectivly looking at each of the trucks. They didn't do a explict direct comparision of them.

Oh... and here is a faq on the JG Chebby. http://www.joegibbsperformance.com/faq.html#price
Looks like a sweet truck.

pimps_r_us69420
06-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Check this truck out! I was looking into getting one of these before the lightning. http://www.chapmansupertrucks.com/movie.htm
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//c/d/9175//.large/big_l2.jpg

skalywags
06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
The Lightning defnitely looks better! IMHO Chevy is doing a good job of making thier trucks uglier each year!

TreeFiddy
06-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Just saw the show. They did a pretty good job of objectivly looking at each of the trucks. They didn't do a explict direct comparision of them.

What do you want to bet they didn't air the comparison because the results weren't what they expected?

Sandman
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
What do you want to bet they didn't air the comparison because the results weren't what they expected?
Expected? Do you mean "The results weren't what they wanted?". Just like the poll they took where the Lightning was the badest truck ever... but they aired that the viper truck was.:Bullshit

r1eater
06-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Check this truck out! I was looking into getting one of these before the lightning. http://www.chapmansupertrucks.com/movie.htm
http://www.rankmyride.com/data//c/d/9175//.large/big_l2.jpg

Somehow I'm not impressed by a 13.4... Seems slow to me.

TreeFiddy
06-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Expected? Do you mean "The results weren't what they wanted?". Just like the poll they took where the Lightning was the badest truck ever... but they aired that the viper truck was.:Bullshit
With Dodge saying it's the "fastest truck in the world" or whatever I'm sure they expected the Dodge to win any head-to-head. Imagine their surprise. Most of you know that the only reason the Dodge broke the L's speed record is because it was done at a different time of year. I can't remember the temp difference, but it was significant IINM.

Tex Arcana
06-17-2004, 01:56 AM
With Dodge saying it's the "fastest truck in the world" or whatever I'm sure they expected the Dodge to win any head-to-head. Imagine their surprise. Most of you know that the only reason the Dodge broke the L's speed record is because it was done at a different time of year. I can't remember the temp difference, but it was significant IINM.
Ford ran the Lightning in Michgan (IIRC) in August of 2003. Dodge ran the SRT-10 in February at... TWS?? I can't rememebr, but it wasn't a fair run. FIA needs to get involved and do two-way flying miles or kilometers, at the same place, at the same time of year.

Silver_2000
06-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Ford ran the Lightning in Michgan (IIRC) in August of 2003. Dodge ran the SRT-10 in February at... TWS?? I can't rememebr, but it wasn't a fair run. FIA needs to get involved and do two-way flying miles or kilometers, at the same place, at the same time of year.
How was it not fair ? If you are claiming that if it were cooler the Lightning would have done better - Ford certainly would have known that - Plus they ccould have tested the thing in Feb in Detroit if they thought it would help.. For a top speed run the engine would have been at temp by the time they wound it up - My bet is that 20 degreees cooler would have maybe given them 1mph.... maybe..

The only way it wouldnt have been fair is if Ford didnt get to pick the time of year/ weather.

A little cooler weather is NOT going to make up for 120 hp .. IMO

Sixpipes
06-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Top speed is all about horsepower. Doesn't surprise me that the SRT-10 has a higher top end speed. With 100+ more horsepower is should. Just comparing 1/4 mile times, I would bet that a Lightning would take the SRT-10 in a standing one-mile run. The run-up distance for the SRT-10 top speed record was measured in miles (plural). :cool:

andy_cain
06-17-2004, 11:30 AM
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=417158&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

:rolleyes:

Tex Arcana
06-17-2004, 11:37 AM
How was it not fair ? If you are claiming that if it were cooler the Lightning would have done better - Ford certainly would have known that - Plus they ccould have tested the thing in Feb in Detroit if they thought it would help.. For a top speed run the engine would have been at temp by the time they wound it up - My bet is that 20 degreees cooler would have maybe given them 1mph.... maybe..

The only way it wouldnt have been fair is if Ford didnt get to pick the time of year/ weather.

A little cooler weather is NOT going to make up for 120 hp .. IMO
Right, but to avoid the controversey, they really needed to be run under FIA rules, and those rules do require that the car be run in two directions, flying run, and conditions being noted; and that any one else wanting to run should run at the same venue (the land speed record somes to mind). I could be wrong; but I don't think so. Either way, it would be a true speed record in the books, and we all know that, if it were run that way, two-directional, the horsepower "advantage" might well have been eliminated by the SRTs poor aerodynamics.

Tex Arcana
06-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Top speed is all about horsepower. Doesn't surprise me that the SRT-10 has a higher top end speed. With 100+ more horsepower is should. Just comparing 1/4 mile times, I would bet that a Lightning would take the SRT-10 in a standing one-mile run. The run-up distance for the SRT-10 top speed record was measured in miles (plural). :cool:
With 100+ more horsepower, that thing should have beat the L by a much more substantial amount; instead, it was only 6 mph.

This is why I say they should use FIA rules to determine the speed, an average of two flying passes from opposite directions (again, jsut like the land speed record); that way, any advantages such as tailwinds are eliminated, and the true capabilities of the trucks would be measured. And I beleive that the Ram wouldn't do quite as well as it did on the one-way pass, and the Lightning would do a bit better.

r1eater
06-17-2004, 11:49 AM
With 100+ more horsepower, that thing should have beat the L by a much more substantial amount; instead, it was only 6 mph.

6MPH is actually alot. I forget the formula but its so many HP per mph at a certain point. Just think of a 116 vs 122 trap speed. Thats huge.

Tex Arcana
06-17-2004, 12:00 PM
6MPH is actually alot. I forget the formula but its so many HP per mph at a certain point. Just think of a 116 vs 122 trap speed. Thats huge.
With the horsepower difference in a Lightning, the speed difference would have ben much larger, on the order of 10mph, I'd guess. Which means the aerodynamics on the Ram are (obviously) much much worse.

r1eater
06-17-2004, 12:08 PM
With the horsepower difference in a Lightning, the speed difference would have ben much larger, on the order of 10mph, I'd guess. Which means the aerodynamics on the Ram are (obviously) much much worse.

good point. I mean that thing looks huge in comparison to the L. Anyone know how much that thing weighs?

Tex Arcana
06-17-2004, 03:46 PM
good point. I mean that thing looks huge in comparison to the L. Anyone know how much that thing weighs?
It weighs at least 5500lbs... and that's probably dry. We're 4700 wet, without add-ons (like me, with a cover, so I'm likely right at 5000).

Sandman
06-17-2004, 03:58 PM
It weighs at least 5500lbs... and that's probably dry. We're 4700 wet, without add-ons (like me, with a cover, so I'm likely right at 5000).The dodge website quotes 5000 lbs...

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehiclecompare/global.sessionid/Compare3A60397A3761636AFF070107025B0500/appId/Compare/UpdateCompareMatrix.jam

Car & Driver quotes 5139 lbs.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=7703&page_number=5

Silver_2000
06-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Mine weighs right about 4900

I think thats empty ( without me )

Tex Arcana
06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Mine weighs right about 4900

I think thats empty ( without me )
So that would be, what, 5700 with you?? :d :evil: j/k

What type of topper do you have, and what do you have in the back (like carpet, etc)?

H-grove
06-18-2004, 10:31 AM
The Dodge has a higher top speed but who would actually win in the 1/4 mile? Does anyone know?

Tex Arcana
06-18-2004, 03:20 PM
The Dodge has a higher top speed but who would actually win in the 1/4 mile? Does anyone know?
Not until we see an actual, unbiased, review by one (or more) of the car magazines, which is made conspicuous by their absence. :cool:

H-grove
06-19-2004, 01:24 AM
I live in Tyler and ive never even seen an SRT 10 in real life before. Im not sure if there is one in Tyler.

TreeFiddy
06-23-2004, 08:30 PM
From seeing the Dodges run at Denton, those big heavy biatches better make up a lot on the big end to beat an L.