PDA

View Full Version : Posts/threads not displaying correctly

Tex Arcana
04-29-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm having an issue of the posts not displaying correctly, i.e. the text will either "disappear" or run off under the bottom of the box dedicated to the post. And highlighting the text to get it to "reappear" does not always work. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a solution? :( :crying:

Silver_2000
04-29-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm having an issue of the posts not displaying correctly, i.e. the text will either "disappear" or run off under the bottom of the box dedicated to the post. And highlighting the text to get it to "reappear" does not always work. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a solution? :( :crying:
Sounds like a video problem on your PC ... Can you send me a link to an example ???

Doug

Tex Arcana
04-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a video problem on your PC ... Can you send me a link to an example ???

Doug

I'll try, if I can get it to happen again. And I don't think it's display-related: it happens on two separate Sony laptops, a Dell Dimension XPS with an ATi 9800 vidcard, and a 17" flatpanel, and a Dell 2400 with a similar flatpanel. I'm thinking it's somethign to do with the way things are handled withing the forum (I've seen Java-based apps do this before). I'll try to do a screen cap for you the next time I see it.

Crawford
04-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Happens to me all the time on my work computer and all three of my home computers (WinXP & IE6 sp1) since the new forum software came up. If you scroll the missing test out of view of the browser then scroll back then the text shows up. If the thread only has a post or two you cant scroll it off so you have to highlight it to see it. Refresh doesnt fix the problem. I just learned to deal with it.

Silver_2000
04-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Happens to me all the time on my work computer and all three of my home computers (WinXP & IE6 sp1) since the new forum software came up. If you scroll the missing test out of view of the browser then scroll back then the text shows up. If the thread only has a post or two you cant scroll it off so you have to highlight it to see it. Refresh doesnt fix the problem. I just learned to deal with it.
So is it a color thing ? The text is the same color as the background ?

Does it happen in all the Styles ? If you change tothe "VBulletin Classic" style in the lower left does it still happen ?

I use 2 toshiba laptops- 2 Dell desktops - a dell workstation and all kinds of random computers and Havent seen the issue. If I can learn more about it it can be fixed. I run 1024x768 on the laptops and much higher resolution on the desktops

So help me figure out the details and we'll get it fixed..

Doug

Crawford
04-30-2004, 12:43 PM
I am using the "blue liquid stype"

It would seem the color is the same as the background but when you highlight the text you can sometimes click away to remove the highlighting and the text is there in plain black. Its really weird. I can take some screen shots and email them to you. What email address should I send them to?

Also on another note, when I click on some of the pics at the top of the forum it often gives me a "You do not have permission to view this page" error.

Silver_2000
04-30-2004, 01:45 PM
I am using the "blue liquid stype"

It would seem the color is the same as the background but when you highlight the text you can sometimes click away to remove the highlighting and the text is there in plain black. Its really weird. I can take some screen shots and email them to you. What email address should I send them to?

Also on another note, when I click on some of the pics at the top of the forum it often gives me a "You do not have permission to view this page" error.Email the screenshots to any of my addresses...

The permissions thing is because I set up a hidden - password protected section of the gallery for lake pictures. it is still in beta phase. The featured photos will occiasionally show thumbnails from those pictures but when you click the thumbnail the permissions kick in...

If you are logged in to the gallery correctly ( using the middle login - Working on fixing that ) then you should be able to see the lake pictures category. I am seriously considering making the lake pictures a paid category....knana

That way the only people that can see them are of the correct age and attitude

Doug

Tex Arcana
04-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Email the screenshots to any of my addresses...

The permissions thing is because I set up a hidden - password protected section of the gallery for lake pictures. it is still in beta phase. The featured photos will occiasionally show thumbnails from those pictures but when you click the thumbnail the permissions kick in...

If you are logged in to the gallery correctly ( using the middle login - Working on fixing that ) then you should be able to see the lake pictures category. I am seriously considering making the lake pictures a paid category....knana

Doug

"lake pictures" huh? I know Im of the right age, and I think I"ve proven I'm of the right attitude... :evil

I think Crawford's onto something there.. I was using one of the alternate styles before, and was running into this all the time. The text doesn't seem to be the same "color" as the background; rather, it seems to have jsut blanked out, maybe because it got assigned an "invisible" or "transparent" color code on the fly. I've also noticed that this happens most when one of the title blocks (the ones with names and avatars) get highlighted for no real reason--tho I suspect it may have to do with a "left-click-drag" across the title bar, becasue my laptops both have touchpads, and occasionally my finger pressure will be enough to make it think a "left-click-drag" is going on.

Scrolling off sometimes works, but not always, especially when the software seems to have assigned a text-box size that is smaller than what the text needs. (did that make sense?) In this case, scrolling off doesn't work to being in the extra text, and highlighting is difficult at best because it just doesn't want to highlight properly.

As it stands, I swapped back to default becasue I wanted access to the arcade (which is why I'm thinking it's the alternate color styles that care part of the problem), and it hasn't happened to me yet, but as soon as it does, and I plan on doing a swap back to get a screen shot, I'll send it to you.

Thanks for listening.. hope that helps.

John

Tex Arcana
04-30-2004, 03:11 PM
It happened again.. here are screen caps:

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/ooops-it_happened_again.jpg

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/ooops-it_happened_again-after_scrolling.jpg

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/ooops-it_happened_again-attempting_to_highlight_from_top_left_to_botom_rig ht.jpg

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/ooops-it_happened_again-marks_name_is_missing-after_post_reply.jpg

I am in Blue Style right now, so I"m gonna swap to Classic, and see how it does.

my2002lightning
04-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Doug,

Also, the "Permission Denied" prompt seems to kick in for alot of other .jpegs as well.

Not just one's with T&A involved.

Ronald

Email the screenshots to any of my addresses...

Doug

Silver_2000
04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Its prolly the other styles that are screwed up - I didnt realise that many people
used styles other than the Talon Default - Im guilty of not testing the others
Ill take a look when I get back to Dallas

If you have seen this issue, post the style you use here..

Doug

Tex Arcana
04-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Its prolly the other styles that are screwed up - I didnt realise that many people
used styles other than the Talon Default - Im guilty of not testing the others
Ill take a look when I get back to Dallas

If you have seen this issue, post the style you use here..

Doug

Still doing it, tho I'm on the second laptop (WinME, IE v.6.0.2800.1106), and the forum style went back to "Blue" after changing it while on the other laptop (WinXPPro, IE v.6.0.2800.1106). Pics:
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/TALON%20forum%20pics/doing_it_again.jpg
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/TALON%20forum%20pics/doing_it_again_2.jpg

Going to swap to Classic and stay there somehow.

Silver_2000
05-02-2004, 03:24 PM
try the TALON style

Silver_2000
05-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Doug,

Also, the "Permission Denied" prompt seems to kick in for alot of other .jpegs as well.

Not just one's with T&A involved.

Ronald
I set some of the FFW categories to be ONLY viewable by registered members.

I bet you are not logged in to the Gallery - using the middle login

Doug

Tex Arcana
05-02-2004, 04:59 PM
try the TALON style
I've been swapping back and forth thru them all, they all do it. :(

Silver_2000
05-02-2004, 05:59 PM
I've been swapping back and forth thru them all, they all do it. :(There must be sonething about your PC's that is different.

I dont see the issue on any of my pcs...

Doug

Tex Arcana
05-02-2004, 06:09 PM
There must be sonething about your PC's that is different.

I dont see the issue on any of my pcs...

Doug
Okay, explain this to me (I'm assuming you're a code-monkey, mebbe you've got some info I don't): is this a Java-based application, and if so, how and what exactly does the Java do for the board? Most importantly, where does the Java come in to play with message displays?