PDA

View Full Version : Permission To Install Software

00Bolt
04-15-2004, 03:12 PM
still to this day I cannot play the arcade on one of my computers, after the game is played, it doesnt register the score...

today I was installing the new version of windows media player, and this is what it says.... any ideas

"Setup has failed. Check your network or internet connection, available disk space, and permission to install this application.

The computer must be restarted, click finish to restart computer"

well i have PLENTY of disk space, and i am obviously connected to interenet, because.. here I am....

so what would cause me not to have permission to do certain things??

i remember about 3 months ago or so, i noticed that when windows starts.... after just a few seconds... a little window pops up asking for name and password... i never put anything in there... just leave in blank and hit enter or esc.... but i dont recall that being there a while back.... could that have anything to do with it???

any thoughts?

F-35
04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Scott,

Typically when Windows boots up a check is made for a Network (or ethernet) card. If one is found a dialog box is produced asking you for your Network name and password. If in fact you are not on a network but do have a card in your computer go to the control panel and look under the Network settings and find your network card. Go to the properties of that card and disable it. Windows will skip the login procedure from then on. I can not tell you the exact steps because I do not know which Windows version you are on. Each version is a little different - just hunt around the Network Settings area and you will find it.

On why you can not install/setup the new version of the Media Player might be because if Windows does believe you are on a network, and does not list you as the administrator of the network, you are not allowed to load programs on a computer in this network. Disabling the Network card should eliminate this. Now you are a single user.

On why the game will not register the score - I do not know the game well enough to troubleshoot its responses. Doug (silver_2000) would probally be the best at answering this for you.

Good Luck,
Del

Silver_2000
04-15-2004, 05:08 PM
We know that its registering some scores since you are the champ in 2 of the games...

You have some IE for flash setting on that PC screwed up -- Not sure wher eto start

00Bolt
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
well i am on a network.... i have a router with 3 computers hooked up to it... and if I play the arcade on 2 of the computers it registers my score, but this one is the one im on all day.... it wont... nor will it let me install media player

StormShadow
04-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Don't worry Scott, you'll never recapture the Asteroids trophy now. Take a look :eek:

blueoval01
04-15-2004, 07:11 PM
well i am on a network.... i have a router with 3 computers hooked up to it... and if I play the arcade on 2 of the computers it registers my score, but this one is the one im on all day.... it wont... nor will it let me install media player OK, I'm confused here. So help me out.
You have your own business (which takes daily leadership) and your Father has passed away (Sorry to hear of it), and your worried about not getting scores recorded on some freakin' on-line games? :confused:

I'm lost. Where is the sense in this?

skalywags
04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
how do you get to these games?

StormShadow
04-15-2004, 10:05 PM
look on the task bar, there is an arcade option.

Silver_2000
04-15-2004, 10:21 PM
well i am on a network.... i have a router with 3 computers hooked up to it... and if I play the arcade on 2 of the computers it registers my score, but this one is the one im on all day.... it wont... nor will it let me install media playerIt sounds like you have a number of issues with that PC. I make spending money by running BossHelp Technical Consulting. I have a number of local small businesses and home owners as customers. In 95% of the cases I can fix most any single issue in under 2 hours. Often 5 ot 6 issues. If you have a virus or other significant time consuming issue I offer a way to save even more money by tking the PC to my house and fixing it on my time for much less.

As a member of TALON I can make you a deal on fixing that PC for you. The retail rates are $75 an hour with a 2 hour minimum. For TALON folks I'll work at straight time - no minimum and for $50 bucks an hour.

Let me know if you are interested.

I wonder what my time is worth on ebay... :rll:

00Bolt
04-16-2004, 09:07 AM
OK, I'm confused here. So help me out.
You have your own business (which takes daily leadership) and your Father has passed away (Sorry to hear of it), and your worried about not getting scores recorded on some freakin' on-line games? :confused:

I'm lost. Where is the sense in this?

no, im not worried about my scores being recorded, im just stating that there is something wrong with this computer, and since I use it about 6 hours a day to run my business, i need it working properly.. that score thing is minor, but thought maybe it was tied into my problem somehow