PDA

View Full Version : New set of tires ?

my2002lightning
03-12-2004, 12:42 AM
As a follow-up from the Bankston "fiasco" earlier today, I have a cut in my back passenger tire that was previously up front. The tech. said it was in between my sidewall and tread surface.:(

My stock set of F1-GSs after over 19K miles shows some wear, but no more than expected. I'd be looking to sell the other 3 for a reasonable sum for spares around someone's garage.

Now, I've done the search thing on Nitto 555/Toyo Proxies/GoodYear F1s, but I'm looking for miles out of the tires and not necessarily 1/4 mile grip qualities.

I know Garett/Crawford/Brian are running Toyos and Tom's running Nittos as I see Terry's Discount Tire guy is currently running Nittos at a good price.

The Discount Tire guy here in Plano was trying to tell me that I'm going to get more miles out of the GoodYear F1s v. the Toyos since they put more $$$ into their R&D and manufacturing "woosah" or whatever the Bean-Counters call it.

More miles out of a softer compound tire ? Funny thing is, that was what he had in stock, as that what he what trying to sell ! :rolleyes: :nono:

Thanks!

Ronald

L8 APEX
03-12-2004, 10:37 AM
You look at the treadwear number it is more accurate that a soft or hard compound. Toyos will run 50K plus, Nittos followed by the lowest milage F1's.

jmlay
03-13-2004, 09:38 AM
I am running TOYO's. You will lose traction to gain tread life. This is not a problem for me since I do not drive aggressive on the street & this is my daily drive. Also I think they make a little bit more nose going down the road, but nothing to worry about.

I think Kaufman Tire was the best price I have found @ $217, found this after I bought mine. This included mount, bal. & road hazzard if I remember correctly. Terry's hookupat Discount may be able to match or beat this.

Mike

Crawford
03-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Ronald,

Get Toyos. I got mine at Kauffman. I paid 1000 for all 4 mounted and balanced a while back. You can get better deals now. Also check with Mark@LFP he can get the tires alone for in the 180s if I am not mistaken.

my2002lightning
03-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Crawford,

I ended up getting the Toyo Proxes from Terry's Discount Tire hook-up for $189/per incl. mount/balance/etc.

I ordered them Friday and they should be there Mon/Tue.

I would liked to have gone Nitto 555s, but I can't see running such a soft-compound tire on a daily driver.

My stock F1-GSs are pretty worn and I just clicked over 19K miles.

Ronald