PDA

View Full Version : What next?

BlkLightning
06-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Hey guys, thought I'd ask publically and see what you think hehe.

'02, 6,600 miles on it, JDM single program chip, PSP intake/filter, Denso iridiums, 4# lower pulley, line valve and 4x4 tranny pan are in.

I was wondering what's a good next step? Should I do exhaust next, or cooling (electric fan+cobra r pump)? Is there something else I should be considering?

And do any of you have any thoughts on engine internals? Ported heads + bigger valves, stronger valve springs and retainers? I found a company that's making kits for them now with +2mm valves (not that big of a difference really), but the valve springs bring the usable RPM range up a little and would help remove valve float (thus returning some power I'm already losing).

Just curious what I should be looking at next. Still months away probably. If it makes a difference, truck is driven almost daily, reliability is paramount.

L8 APEX
06-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Engine internals is high dollar, time down, voids warranty, etc.. You can run 12's with bolt -ons. As for exhaust unless you do long tube headers you are just buying sound. Electric fan and pump gives you MPG and about 12HP. There is always the bottle:D

BlkLightning
07-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Hey Terry, what's the word on building these motors?

What needs to be replaced in the bottom end to make it bullet proof and running low 11's all day? Would it be worth the investment to get another block and build a whole new motor from the ground up?

Would give plenty of time to get all the porting work done, along with the valvetrain upgrades I want anyways (bigger valves, better valve springs and retainers).

What sort of guestimated horsepower would you think a fully built 5.4 with the same setup I have now put out? I mean a 5.4 purpose built, better internals, +2mm valves, ported heads (intake & exhaust side), maybe different cam specs?

Know any good 5.4 builders? I'm having a hard time finding anyone that even wants to touch these motors. Curious what it would cost to build a motor like I'm speaking of above, building for longevity and reliability (which always cranks up the price).

I'd like to put the new KB on at some point, so if you build motors or know someone that does the end goal would be running somewhere between 18 and 21 PSI on the street with daily driver reliability with the second goal being a bullet proof setup that runs all day every day without a hitch.

I know this is a tall order, just curious how tall. :tu: :banana:

As for next mod, I'll probably get an Accufab from you. Easy noticable gain hehe and the next intake step. Then I'll probably do exhaust just because I want more noise, then cooling hehe.

L8 APEX
07-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Get with Justin at the next meeting he has been building his motor for the last year or so :D Short blocks from JDM are 4400 I think, heads 2500, KB blower 3K, Beefed tranny/conveter 4K. headers & exhaust 2K, another 2-3K for unknowns. That is a ballpark figure.