PDA

View Full Version : smooth plastic

adam96
03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Has anyone on here smoothed there sidesteps, tailgate strip, endcaps, and rear bumper cover? What all did it involve? Can you tell me how to do it?

99WhiteBeast
03-03-2004, 06:08 PM
I think Tony (TONY2000) has- I'm sure he'll be at the meeting tomorrow so you can see it in person

Avalanche
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Yea Ken has all that done on his. Word of warning don't try and sand down the bumper for the side steps on the bumper.:hammer:

Krystle
03-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Has anyone on here smoothed there sidesteps, tailgate strip, endcaps, and rear bumper cover? What all did it involve? Can you tell me how to do it?
I bought the smooth sidesteps and endcaps. I was told buy a body shop guy.. (Dont know if he was feeding me full of crap though:confused: ) That the kind of material that the pieces are made out of that the paint will begin to chip and look horrible after a year or so if you try to smooth it down yourself and paint over it..

Krystle
03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
I bought the smooth sidesteps and endcaps. I was told buy a body shop guy.. (Dont know if he was feeding me full of crap though:confused: ) That the kind of material that the pieces are made out of that the paint will begin to chip and look horrible after a year or so if you try to smooth it down yourself and paint over it..
Oops... My bad.. Im going to correct this.. My ex boyfriend bought the smooth stuff for me..

PoorSvtman
03-04-2004, 12:16 PM
It would be easier just to buy them. Just flip threw any truckin magazine and you will see them.

ken cryder
03-07-2004, 02:57 AM
if you use an epoxy primer after you get them fairly smooth it will not come off . the bed rails take a lot of work , because you have to be care full not to take to much off , the front steps are solid all the way through and are no trouble sanding smootyh the rear steps and bumper can't be sanded because they are hollow on the under side . but it does make a cleaner flow to you paint job with these smoothed . the plastic around the rear window looks good smoothed and color matched to your truck as well as interior pieces . my painter does this customization on alot of vehicles .

ken

Tony2000
03-08-2004, 07:11 PM
yes I sanded my side steps and put that special primer and they look very good, they have hold for about a year and a half allready

tony2000