PDA

View Full Version : Got my truck back last night from paint shop

scott015
02-20-2004, 10:35 AM
well here are some pics of my hood. Iv had the hood for about 2 months now... just havent gotten around to having it painted. I found a buddy who knows someone who owns a shop. So he HOOKED ME UP real good... here is what he did

1. painted top and bottom and mounted hood
2. stripped down bumper and painted
3. stripped down piece around grill and painted
4. stipped down all ground effects and painted

these parts just had some rock chips and wanted the truck to be PERFECT condition...

well, here is the best news of all, it only cost me $100. Thats it!!!

here is the bad news, im not totally happy with the work. I went and picked it up last night... I couldnt see real well because it was about 9pm and dark... But it all looked good... there was one very little spot on the hood that looked like a piece of dirt under the paint... hardly noticable... but rest of work looked good..

well this morning i checked it out and there are a few of those 'dirt' spots... he told me i can bring it back and he will buff it out for me and if worst case scenario is... he will 'color sand' it and then re-clear coat it and buff it out...

is this common to happen in getting paint work?? he said he actually painted the hood twice.. first time was worse than this time... my question is... will just him buffing it remove those couple spots? or is wet sanding the clear coat and redoing the clear coat gonna do the trick?? or is he gonna have to redo the hood again???

anyway, one last question I promise.... he said I should wait 2-3 days before I wash it.... and at least a week or so before I put any polish or wax on it... is this all true?? its black and VERY dusty and its killing me....

well here are pics:

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/3372-4883-84732.jpg

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/3372-4883-84733.jpg

tliss
02-20-2004, 10:59 AM
I would wait about a month or so (maybe longer) before putting any wax on it to let the paint settle. When I got my bed lid, I was told wait at least that, and who knows how long the paint was on it. You should wait a few days or perhaps a week or two before washing it. Again, to make sure the paint is totally dried.

As far as the trash in the paint, I guess that depends on which layer it is under. I figure it's pretty hard to avoid having particles get caught in the paint, but I'm not expert. If the particle is under the first layer of primer, chances are it will have to be redone to get it out. If it's under the clear coat, I would figure wet sanding the clear and reclearing would work. However, I ma merely speculating here.

Maybe someone else will chime in on this.

Tom

Wht95Lightning
02-20-2004, 11:01 AM
For $100, I could live with a few flaws. It's not "uncommon" to get some dirt in the paint. It really depends on the environment it's being sprayed in and how much care the painter takes in the prep.
Looks great in the pics.

99WhiteBeast
02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
I like the new look of the hood. Even if there are a few minor issues you just got 1000 to 1500 worth of work for 100.

Wait on the wax but I don't see an issue with a gentle rinse with water to clean it a bit.

PoorSvtman
02-20-2004, 12:12 PM
go get a california duster. i use mine constantly. Its a must have for a black truck

99WhiteBeast
02-20-2004, 12:25 PM
go get a california duster. i use mine constantly. Its a must have for a black truck
truedat-they work great for any car. I've had mine for 5 years and the dirtier they get the better they work:cool:

scott015
02-20-2004, 12:28 PM
ok ill have to get one.... where can I get, just any autozone type place? ill go get one today

Nuhklz
02-20-2004, 05:50 PM
ok ill have to get one.... where can I get, just any autozone type place? ill go get one today
I got mine at Pep Boys for ~$8.

blueoval01
02-20-2004, 06:04 PM
truedat-they work great for any car. I've had mine for 5 years and the dirtier they get the better they work:cool: Usefull Info that could be archived in a certain thread I know of. :rolleyes:
Hint Hint Hint

TP Derrick D
02-20-2004, 07:28 PM
O'Reilly's, and you got a lot of work done for a $100 , I paid $400+ for my hood to be striped and repainted but I don't have any flaws either. Did he use a paint booth? They usually have vents & fans in paint booths to take care of foreign particules.
Hope it can be taken out like he said.

99WhiteBeast
02-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Usefull Info that could be archived in a certain thread I know of. :rolleyes:
Hint Hint Hint
get it got it good- but which sub topic? Looks like we need one for detailing tricks or something

blueoval01
02-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Cosmetic - Exterior (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4597) should be fine ..........