PDA

View Full Version : I need tires!!!

TXBLU
02-16-2004, 10:44 AM
O.K., where is the best deal on tires? I'd like to stick with the Goodyears (no pun intended), but I would consider other brands. What companies make a 295/45-18 besides Goodyear, Nitto, and Toyo?

Sandman
02-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Here is one option... but it's not GoodYear...

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3087

L8 APEX
02-16-2004, 08:35 PM
My Discount guy in my forum does right by the Arlington crew.:tu:

02BOLT
02-16-2004, 09:33 PM
My Discount guy in my forum does right by the Arlington crew.:tu:

True Dat!:burnout:

TXBLU
02-16-2004, 10:51 PM
So, bang-for-the-buck wise, what's the better tire, Nittos or Goodyears? I'm thinking I'm going to avoid the internet purchase stuff and just go ahead and let Discount take care of it. Too bad I don't have ny own tire machine and balancer!

Hey Terry, I'm ready to order all my brake stuff too. Should I stop by the shop and get you paid up, or do you want me to just call you with my CC #? I don't much care either way, I just want to make sure you get paid for the parts up front. I like to avoid hassles as much as any one else!

Eric

03'svtlight
02-16-2004, 11:09 PM
So, bang-for-the-buck wise, what's the better tire, Nittos or Goodyears? I'm thinking I'm going to avoid the internet purchase stuff and just go ahead and let Discount take care of it. Too bad I don't have ny own tire machine and balancer!

Hey Terry, I'm ready to order all my brake stuff too. Should I stop by the shop and get you paid up, or do you want me to just call you with my CC #? I don't much care either way, I just want to make sure you get paid for the parts up front. I like to avoid hassles as much as any one else!

Eric
I got a new set of F1's $550.00 :tu:

TP Derrick D
02-17-2004, 12:10 AM
O.K., where is the best deal on tires? I'd like to stick with the Goodyears (no pun intended), but I would consider other brands. What companies make a 295/45-18 besides Goodyear, Nitto, and Toyo?
I have a set of F1's that has about 4000 miles on them.Mounted on 2000 rims Paid over $1100 new at Discount. Got reciepts .Put 20's on my L. Offered them for sale on the for sale board end of '03 You pay to have dismounted.$500 or rims also $1000

TXBLU
02-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I have a set of F1's that has about 4000 miles on them.Mounted on 2000 rims Paid over $1100 new at Discount. Got reciepts .Put 20's on my L. Offered them for sale on the for sale board end of '03 You pay to have dismounted.$500 or rims also $1000
Thanks, but no thanks. I don't want used tires. It'd be that much sooner that I would have to replace them. As for the wheels, if I replace the ones I have now, it'll be with 20"ers.

Eric

REXRENEGADE
02-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Here is an alternative
Check out this site.
www.discounttiredirect.com (http://www.discounttiredirect.com)

Goodyear F1's are $211 each
Nitto 555's are $207 each
Free Shipping

*note
It would be wise to go to Terry's guy first, he will do you right and he is local. You could save money on the tires from DTD but you will still have to pay to get them mounted and balanced.
:tu:

TP Derrick D
02-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks, but no thanks. I don't want used tires. It'd be that much sooner that I would have to replace them. As for the wheels, if I replace the ones I have now, it'll be with 20"ers.

Eric
ok :cool: , mine look new , just trying to save you some $,By the time the tax,mounting, balance, and valve stems, you will be out of close to $1,100 so don't be fooled by the price of $211 ea for F1's :cool:

TXBLU
02-17-2004, 10:26 PM
ok :cool: , mine look new , just trying to save you some $,By the time the tax,mounting, balance, and valve stems, you will be out of close to $1,100 so don't be fooled by the price of $211 ea for F1's :cool:
I hear what you're saying, it's just that I get right at 12,000 miles out of my tires, and I'm not the most aggressive guy on the street (my humble estimation). My truck has right at 24,000 miles on it and it's tire time again. If you drive like I do, that would mean there is about 1/3 of the useful life worn off of them. If I have to pay $1100 (just over 2 times the cost of your tires, plus dismounting them, plus R & R and balancing on my rims, plus having to get your rims from you and bring them back) to get 2/3 more tire life, it just doesn't add up to such a good deal to me. Then again, maybe you just idle around town and never really DRIVE your Lightning like the rest of us do. I don't know. I just remember thinking that at 4000 miles, my tires looked pretty new too, when in fact there was fully 1/3 of thier life ground off of them.

Thanks for the offer anyway.:tu:

TP Derrick D
02-17-2004, 11:03 PM
I hear what you're saying, it's just that I get right at 12,000 miles out of my tires, and I'm not the most aggressive guy on the street (my humble estimation). My truck has right at 24,000 miles on it and it's tire time again. If you drive like I do, that would mean there is about 1/3 of the useful life worn off of them. If I have to pay $1100 (just over 2 times the cost of your tires, plus dismounting them, plus R & R and balancing on my rims, plus having to get your rims from you and bring them back) to get 2/3 more tire life, it just doesn't add up to such a good deal to me. Then again, maybe you just idle around town and never really DRIVE your Lightning like the rest of us do. I don't know. I just remember thinking that at 4000 miles, my tires looked pretty new too, when in fact there was fully 1/3 of thier life ground off of them.

Thanks for the offer anyway.:tu:
Man, 12000 miles? you new to the L game? I got 28,000 out of my first set. Could have gotten 30,000. And yes I "drive" my L just not every day. It's been dragged about 15 times at Ennis over a 3 year period and been buried past the 140 on the speedo several times but no I guess I don't drive it to destroy it.As my sig. says it 'da TOY TRUCK'.
All the main TALON guys know me and know my truck. Well good luck !! :)

skalywags
02-17-2004, 11:13 PM
O.K., where is the best deal on tires? I'd like to stick with the Goodyears (no pun intended), but I would consider other brands. What companies make a 295/45-18 besides Goodyear, Nitto, and Toyo?I had Nittos' on my previous truck. Liek them better than teh Goodyears they replaced. But on that truck they weren't f1's. It was on a dakota R/T.

L8 APEX
02-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I am happy with the Nitto's street and drag radials. I got 9K out of my F1's, then 17K out of the 555 Nitto's, most DR guys get 5-9K miles out of them. My discount guy does nthe 555's for 190 installed last time I checked. It ends up being about $760+tax all done.:tu:

TXBLU
02-18-2004, 10:12 AM
New to the 'L' game? Not hardly. I bought my '02 in January of '02 after putting 211,000 miles on my '93 Lightning, which I bought new in July of '93. I've used my trucks for towing my race trailers, as crash trucks (picking up crashed motorcyles on race tracks), dirt hauling, and as daily drivers. I actually drive fairly aggressive most all the time, yet I hardly ever do hard launches from a stand-still. I have taken both of them to Ennis, once for each truck, just to see how they run. The '93 ran a 15.4, and the '02 went 13.9. Both runs were in the middle of summer, and it was about 85% humidity. If I'm not riding my TL-R, I'm driving the L, or on weekends I sometimes drive the wife's CLK 430 'vert. I used to get about 18,000 miles out of the GT II's that I ran on the '93, but I drove that thing hard every day. I'm actually pretty happy with the tire life of the F1-GSs, especially when you consider I only get about 5000 miles out of the tires on my motorcycle. I just don't see how you get that many miles out of your tires, unless you baby that thing around.

Silver_2000
02-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Dont forget that you can often push the local guys to sellyou tires at web prices plus tax and mounting costs

They NEVER WANT to - But I have done it twice....

Doug

TXBLU
02-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Dont forget that you can often push the local guys to sellyou tires at web prices plus tax and mounting costs

Doug
I appreciate all the help from you guys. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!:beer:

99WhiteBeast
02-18-2004, 01:41 PM
The key I've found on making the F1's last is rotation. I rotate them every 3k now and here is the break down of each set I've had.

Set 1 - got 10K out of them- one rotation and lots of big smokey burn outs- truck was new what can I say
Set 2- got 16K out of them- maybe 2 rotation, no more big burn outs, but 2 on track events
Set 3- got 18k out of them- 5k rotation schedule, 5 trips to the track, one on track event

Set 4 (current set) 21k on them currently and still some tread left. 3k rotation schedule, 10 trips to the track, chip installed during this time period so lots of tom foolery, and one on track event

TP Derrick D
02-18-2004, 02:00 PM
New to the 'L' game? Not hardly. I bought my '02 in January of '02 after putting 211,000 miles on my '93 Lightning, which I bought new in July of '93. I've used my trucks for towing my race trailers, as crash trucks (picking up crashed motorcyles on race tracks), dirt hauling, and as daily drivers. I actually drive fairly aggressive most all the time, yet I hardly ever do hard launches from a stand-still. I have taken both of them to Ennis, once for each truck, just to see how they run. The '93 ran a 15.4, and the '02 went 13.9. Both runs were in the middle of summer, and it was about 85% humidity. If I'm not riding my TL-R, I'm driving the L, or on weekends I sometimes drive the wife's CLK 430 'vert. I used to get about 18,000 miles out of the GT II's that I ran on the '93, but I drove that thing hard every day. I'm actually pretty happy with the tire life of the F1-GSs, especially when you consider I only get about 5000 miles out of the tires on my motorcycle. I just don't see how you get that many miles out of your tires, unless you baby that thing around.
I WAS SAYING NEW TO THE L GAME BECAUSE WHEN PEOPLE FIRST GET THEIR TRUCK ITS A TOY AND BURNING RUBBER ALL THE TIME IS COMMON. I DON'T KNOW YOU SO I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DRIVE YOUR TRUCK BUT I KNOW THE MAIN TALON GUYS AND HOW THEY DRIVE .GETTING AS MANY MILES OUT OF F1'S AS I DO IS NOT UNCOMMON. I DO ALSO DRIVE AGGRESSIVE BUT DON'T TRY TO DESTROY MY TRUCK OR THE TIRES ON IT. I GUESS AS LONG AS I'VE HAD MY TRUCK THE DESIRE TO SMOKE EM AT EVERY STOP SIGN/LIGHT IS NO LONGER THERE. :D I HAVE A 10 SEC MUSTANG FOR THAT :cool:

TXBLU
02-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I WAS SAYING NEW TO THE L GAME BECAUSE WHEN PEOPLE FIRST GET THEIR TRUCK ITS A TOY AND BURNING RUBBER ALL THE TIME IS COMMON. I DON'T KNOW YOU SO I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DRIVE YOUR TRUCK BUT I KNOW THE MAIN TALON GUYS AND HOW THEY DRIVE .GETTING AS MANY MILES OUT OF F1'S AS I DO IS NOT UNCOMMON. I DO ALSO DRIVE AGGRESSIVE BUT DON'T TRY TO DESTROY MY TRUCK OR THE TIRES ON IT. I GUESS AS LONG AS I'VE HAD MY TRUCK THE DESIRE TO SMOKE EM AT EVERY STOP SIGN/LIGHT IS NO LONGER THERE. :D I HAVE A 10 SEC MUSTANG FOR THAT :cool:
Did you know you had caps lock on? Anyway, no biggie. I rotate my tires at each oil change (3000 miles), monitor the tread wear with a wear guage accross the tread of each tire, and keep the air pressure adjusted accordingly. The alignment is checked every other oil change (yes, I have Herb's washers installed),I don't do smokey burn-outs :burnout: , rarely hear the tires squeal around corners :D , and have engaged the ABS only two or three times over the two years I've had this truck. 12,000 seems O.K. to me, I just can't see getting 20k+ out of them, unless I drive like my 70 year old mom!

TP Derrick D
02-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Did you know you had caps lock on? Anyway, no biggie. I rotate my tires at each oil change (3000 miles), monitor the tread wear with a wear guage accross the tread of each tire, and keep the air pressure adjusted accordingly. The alignment is checked every other oil change (yes, I have Herb's washers installed),I don't do smokey burn-outs :burnout: , rarely hear the tires squeal around corners :D , and have engaged the ABS only two or three times over the two years I've had this truck. 12,000 seems O.K. to me, I just can't see getting 20k+ out of them, unless I drive like my 70 year old mom!
Yeah, I type in caps sometimes. :cool: Well I'm sorry that you don't get more but face it ,its true and it can be done without driving like your 70 y.o. mom. anyway since you passed on a great deal and you just refuse to believe someone can get more than 12,000 miles out of a set of F1'S I don't know what else to tell you. Maybe one day I'll get to meet you take you for a ride and assure you your mom don't drive like me. IF SHE DO I'M PRETTY SHE SHE COULD GET A SEAT IN A NASCAR. :rll: Seriously,I get that amount out of my tires and thought that most everyone else got more miles than I do out of them .
SO I GUESS WE BOTH LEARNED SOMETHING. TAKE IT EASY I'M OUT

TXBLU
02-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Once again, thank to all for the (mostly) useful information. I had a set of F-1s mounted this morning at Discount on Collins in Arlington. $1038.00 out the door with the tire certificates.

Now if Terry will just call me when my brakes come in, I'll be a happy camper.:banana:

TP Derrick D
02-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Once again, thank to all for the (mostly) useful information. I had a set of F-1s mounted this morning at Discount on Collins in Arlington. $1038.00 out the door with the tire certificates.

Now if Terry will just call me when my brakes come in, I'll be a happy camper.:banana:
You come out about $40 less than I paid.Good deal ,I just don't know if you bought the same things I did (valve stems....etc) May be a difference in tax also. glad you rollin' :)

TXBLU
02-20-2004, 07:02 PM
You come out about $40 less than I paid.Good deal ,I just don't know if you bought the same things I did (valve stems....etc) May be a difference in tax also. glad you rollin' :)
Yeah, I got stems too. They even positioned my wheel locks and center caps just like I wanted. Nice guys over there.:beer:

blueoval01
02-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey Eric, now that you have new tires and saved that $40, why not put the savings towards a Supporting Member TALON status?
Special deal this month for membership is ... $40 :D

TP Derrick D
02-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey Eric, now that you have new tires and saved that $40, why not put the savings towards a Supporting Member TALON status?
Hey Mark , haven't seen you since L'Fest.. I second your motion on the Supporting Member. Maybe we need to do a Supporting membership drive. :confused:

Avalanche
02-20-2004, 09:32 PM
My .02 I have a set of Toyo ST's on my baby and I have right at wait for it ....wait...okay 35K on them and I still have tread left on them.

I drive 110 miles a day to work
approx 20 trips to the track and LOTS of smokey burnouts.

The only bad part about them is that when you heat them up like I do then they get hard as hell and the slip alot in the rain. Other than that they are good tires. I am about due some more and this time I am going with the Mitch Man. My mom works up at the Ardmore plant and she might be able to get me a deal.

Nittos are to damn expensive for the wear and F1's just plain suck.

TXBLU
02-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Well, is there another level of contribution? I'm not looking for anything lower, I just want to know what's available. I think this is an excellent site and group of people. I would be more than happy to upgrade my status. Let me know what I can do.

Eric

TXBLU
02-24-2004, 07:50 PM
My .02 I have a set of Toyo ST's on my baby and I have right at wait for it ....wait...okay 35K on them and I still have tread left on them.

I drive 110 miles a day to work
approx 20 trips to the track and LOTS of smokey burnouts.

The only bad part about them is that when you heat them up like I do then they get hard as hell and the slip alot in the rain. Other than that they are good tires. I am about due some more and this time I am going with the Mitch Man. My mom works up at the Ardmore plant and she might be able to get me a deal.

Nittos are to damn expensive for the wear and F1's just plain suck.
As it turns out, the mileage isn't really that much of an issue for me (just don't bring it up with my wife around!). I like the Goodyears a lot; they grip good in the wet, ride fairly decent, and don't scream at me every time I mash the throttle or blast through an on-ramp. I was wondering if there was anything out there that had similar performance (overalll) at a better price. I would even pay more for a better tire if there was one. I really like the Michelins (Pilot Sports) on my wife's car, but I don't want to destroy the ride of my truck by putting on lower profile tires than what's on there. I used Michelins on all my race bikes and have a lot of respect for there performance at the limit of traction. The Firestones and BFGs that I tried on my '93 L were not as progressive in feedback at the limit as were the GT IIs, so I'm a bit biased toward the Goodyears.

Avalanche
02-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Well to let you in on what I am looking at. I have found a set of Pilot Sports 335/30ZR18's and this is what I am going to put on mine (one the rears) I will stay with a 295/45/18 in the front. I am just waiting on prices and I will post what I find out.

I likes lots of meat on the road.:nana2