PDA

View Full Version : Predator Tuner

Band
02-10-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm wanting to purchase a Predator. But whoever you buy it from is your Tuner, and I don't want to buy from a some dude that doesn't tune well and checks his email once a month.

Does anyone have any experience with a great tuner that is very responsive? maybe even a local tuner?

Nuhklz
02-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Try this guy: http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/. He's local :D

Avalanche
02-10-2004, 09:07 PM
I purchased mine from Running with the Devil, his name is James and he has written me some awsome programs and he is very responsive. I may wait 2 days for a tune with the mods that I add.

his web address is http://www.runninwiththedevil.com/

When you order the programer from him he gives you free custom tunes and he pays the shipping.:tu:

Band
02-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Yeah, i emailed him some pre-sales questions that never got answered. That kinda made me think about my truck detonating for a few weeks before he got back to me...

Thanks for the info. It's good to know he does respond to tunes within a couple of days...

03'svtlight
02-10-2004, 10:30 PM
The stock tune is nice. :D James couldn't promise more power so why bother? :confused:

03'svtlight
02-10-2004, 10:42 PM
He says he could make MORE power MORE safely but I didn't think 17deg. of timing was NOT safe. Maybe when our resident tuner reads this, he can help us on what a "safe tune" is. Just for the record, I dyno'd my truck with the timing at the full 10% adv. which put it at 19deg. No detonation that I could here. I know he's in the business to make money and I don't blame him one bit but to say the "pulley tune" is simply terrible "like he says on nloc" puzzles the hell outta me when all he could say was buy the predator "before" it was out. All I'm saying is the tune that comes in it is probably on par with a very nice chip tune. :tu:

Band
02-24-2004, 04:12 PM
This is what I'm afraid of...

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63054

Avalanche
02-24-2004, 09:18 PM
I call James on the phone and he does my tunes while I am on the phone with him it takes approx 10 to 20 mins and he is done and I know everything he has done in the tune.

Band
02-24-2004, 09:36 PM
I call James on the phone and he does my tunes while I am on the phone with him it takes approx 10 to 20 mins and he is done and I know everything he has done in the tune.

How long ago was this?

03LightningRocks
02-24-2004, 09:58 PM
This is what I'm afraid of...

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63054

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like he is seriously jammed up. I had the same experience as Trai and Brent(avalanch) in my initial contacts when I bought the predator.

But I have not used the tune, so I don't know what would happen if I needed one.

There is some serious validity to what trai says about the program not being made much better. At your level of mods Sal...the stock programming will not need any custom tuning. The pulley tune is good through six pounds of boost and about most of the bolt ons out there.

Rocks:beer:

03'svtlight
02-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like he is seriously jammed up. I had the same experience as Trai and Brent(avalanch) in my initial contacts when I bought the predator.

But I have not used the tune, so I don't know what would happen if I needed one.

There is some serious validity to what trai says about the program not being made much better. At your level of mods Sal...the stock programming will not need any custom tuning. The pulley tune is good through six pounds of boost and about most of the bolt ons out there.

Its the truth.......... :tu:

Band
02-24-2004, 10:13 PM
That's all dandy for now... but what about when I need a custom tune? I'll need my tuner!

I'm a quick learner but I don't want to blow anything up...

03'svtlight
02-24-2004, 10:24 PM
I was able to adjust my a/f ratio a full point when we where at the fri Sayle. I wasn't only there to run thu hell outta my truck. I was there for the info also. Let me break it down abit. On my first pass the predator tune was straight up, meaning when I got there I made no adj. to the timing or fuel enrichment. That being said, I knew where my a/f ratio was based on my last 2 dyno pulls. Now I can only speak for MY truck and MY tune but I gathered for every % of adj. is .10 on the a/f ratio. And it is dead on accurate. On my first pull with no adj., the a/f was 11.0:1. I made a 2% fuel enrichment for next pull and it was 10.8:1. With this knowledge I am able to dictate my a/f at the track, and thats what I did fri. So on my first run (against Stormshadow) it was @ 11.0:1,which resulted in a 13.02 et. To me it just didn't pull very good. So up next was to lean it out and lucky for me Terry was there watching, other wise I wouldn't have made the adj.I leaned her out 5% which resulted in a 12.95 et. I tend to believe 11.5:1 is the sweet spot. 11.0:1 may be alittle on the rich side. Thats why I'm hesitant to fork over the $75 bucks he (James) asked me to pay for a custom tune because I didn't buy the damn thing from him. In your case IF you bougth it from him he would give you a custom tune at no charge. :tu:

03LightningRocks
02-24-2004, 10:26 PM
That's all dandy for now... but what about when I need a custom tune? I'll need my tuner!

I'm a quick learner but I don't want to blow anything up...
LOL...did you hit the Lotto:d . You are about 10 grand in mods away from needing a custom tune...LOL.

I bet he is caught up by then.

Rocks

03'svtlight
02-24-2004, 10:29 PM
You won't blow nuffin'. We have BETTER gas than those guys up north. Besides that, it only goes to 19deg. Hell Rocks is runnin' 23deg :eek2: :eek2: but he's nuts anyway. :cool:

03LightningRocks
02-24-2004, 10:51 PM
but he's nuts anyway. :cool:
I have been told that before....LOL...there may be something I am not picking up on.

I just thought of another tuner that handles Predator...Sal with PSP. I have never heard any bad tales on him. He is over at F150online. Check it out...he may be a better fit for you.

Band
02-24-2004, 10:53 PM
ok, i see what you guys are saying... :tu:

Off to find me a pulley... :burnout:

kragle23
02-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Sayle,

For what it is worth, I use James at RWTD. My wife bought the predator for me for Christmas from Dallas Mustang, and they wanted 100 an hour to tune it... :eek:

When I put the pulley tune on mine, I had BAD detonation in 3rd and 4th at upper RPM's. I emailed James, and had a new tune within 8 hours. In my opinion, he is great and knows his stuff. The second tune, I wanted the truck to downshift to first at a 35 MPH punch, and he sent another tune over within 12 hours.

I know 03'svtlight has been able to use the tune included with the Predator, but it didn't work for me. (I have a 99)

Hope this helps! :beer:

Band
02-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Sayle,

For what it is worth, I use James at RWTD. My wife bought the predator for me for Christmas from Dallas Mustang, and they wanted 100 an hour to tune it... :eek:

When I put the pulley tune on mine, I had BAD detonation in 3rd and 4th at upper RPM's. I emailed James, and had a new tune within 8 hours. In my opinion, he is great and knows his stuff. The second tune, I wanted the truck to downshift to first at a 35 MPH punch, and he sent another tune over within 12 hours.

I know 03'svtlight has been able to use the tune included with the Predator, but it didn't work for me. (I have a 99)

Hope this helps! :beer:

Yes it does, thanks for the input...

Remember when i tried your default program on your predator Ron? I got detonation then as well... That is where I get the idea that I will need a custom tune...

03LightningRocks
02-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Yes it does, thanks for the input...

Remember when i tried your default program on your predator Ron? I got detonation then as well... That is where I get the idea that I will need a custom tune...

LOL...we didn't hear no detonation!!!! I think you may be hearing noises that aren't there. We where standing 25 feet from the track as your truck went by...we would have heard it.

He has a 99...the 99 computers are like a day and night difference from the 2003-2004's. I am not surprised that he had problems...

The other issu is that I didn't know sqwaut about how to make tune adjustments at that time. I received lessons Friday night...see the gallery for proof... Thanks for the free lesson trai. I haven't even read the owners manual yet.

There is a fine line between paranoid and cautious.

Rocks

Band
02-25-2004, 12:40 AM
LOL...we didn't hear no detonation!!!! I think you may be hearing noises that aren't there. We where standing 25 feet from the track as your truck went by...we would have heard it.

He has a 99...the 99 computers are like a day and night difference from the 2003-2004's. I am not surprised that he had problems...

The other issu is that I didn't know sqwaut about how to make tune adjustments at that time. I received lessons Friday night...see the gallery for proof... Thanks for the free lesson trai. I haven't even read the owners manual yet.

There is a fine line between paranoid and cautious.

Rocks

haha, im definitely paranoid :eek2:

the detonation was only noticeable from 80-100 at the end of the track..

03LightningRocks
02-25-2004, 12:40 AM
OK Sayle...here is my advice.....

With you being so cautious on your truck, you need to call Sal at PSP. I don't give a sh!t what anyone else has to say about their prfered tuner.I don't use Sal, but if I didn't use Mike T. Sal would be my tuner.

He is the only one I can think of that handles the Predator and will take the time needed to make you comfortable with the whole affair. He is darned good at tunes.

Don't even ask him how much...he will be worth what ever he charges.... Several members here have his tunes on very aggressive set ups and are real darned happy.

Now go for it...LOL.

Band
02-25-2004, 12:42 AM
I have an email out to Sal atm..

I'll try to give him a call tomorrow...

03LightningRocks
02-25-2004, 12:46 AM
I have an email out to Sal atm..

I'll try to give him a call tomorrow...

Excellent move Sayle:tu: . Now stick with him and head his advice....you won't be sorry.

Heck, you two even have the same name.....he just knows how to spell it right...J/K:throw:

Rocks

Band
02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Heck, you two even have the same name.....he just knows how to spell it right...J/K:throw:

Rocks

:rll: